News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Codex: Space Marine Up for Pre-Order!

Started by Begel Dverl, August 03, 2013, 04:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Begel Dverl

*trumpet noise*

The might Dakka hath spoketh.

Quote from: Redemption 543907 5910181 df3d2375daa4391c1b3f8dfdc2fbca04.jpgBest_Pone over at Warseer, who was also spot on with his High Elf, Eldar, Apocalypse and Black Legion rumours, had this to say about the new Codex: Space Marines:

Quote from: Best_PoneUp for release in September is the new Codex: Space Marines.

- There will be 7 Ltd Ed varients. 6 of these will be covers for First Founding chapters, whilst the 7th will have Black Templars on the cover.

- New weapon family: Grav weapons. I believe these wound against the armour save (so terminators would be wounded as if they had a toughness of 2).

- First Founding chapters will be getting a substantial section each to themselves, so hopefully this can be looked as as Codex: Space Marines instead of Codex: Ultramarines. This will also show in a rule called Chapter Tactics, for which the effects depend on the chapter being played.

- There is a new armour type that at first glance looks to be somewhere between a terminator and a dreadnought - looking more closely, it appears to go over the marine's power armour however.
- This new armour can be armed in 2 ways, depending on the user. The devastator version has either a bolter array or missile launchers mounted on the chest armour, whilst the gauntlets can be armed with heavy bolters, lascannons or grav cannons. The assault version has a bolter array or frag launchers mounted on the chest armour, with assault drills mounted on the gauntlets.

- There are 2 new AA tanks. One tank veterans will already be familiar with as the Hunter, armed an AA missile launcher. The other tank mounts 2 tri-barreled turrets instead.

- There is a new tactical squad. Lots of options as you'd expect, but of particular interest will probably be the grav pistol and grav rifle.

- A new plastic Sternguard veteran squad.

- A new plastic Vanguard veteran squad.

- New plastic characters: a captain, a librarian and a chaplain.
Hopefully this will finally dispel the consistent rumours about the SM getting some mega-dreadnought.

Narric

Why would Space Marines ned a Mega-dreadnought? They can already Ally to Grey Knights for the Deathknight :P

The Man They Call Jayne

- New weapon family: Grav weapons. I believe these wound against the armour save

If this is true then fuck it. Why bother playing? Why spend all those point for that 2+ save when this weapon laughs at you? If they were just heavy weapons then it might be ok, but if they have troop ready pistol and rifle versions then why take anything else?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

And this edition had the start of such a balanced game.

Good to see Space Marines and their relatives will always get the most ridiculously OTT toys.

The Man They Call Jayne

The Grav guns actually render MCs obsolete. T8 Wraithknight? T3 now. T6 Riptide? T2 now. Wraith Guard? T3. What is the freaking point?

Narric

It basically the Deus Ex Winnier of the GW Poster boys. Notice how most of what was mentioned, was Counter-units, to pre-existing units? AA Tanks, and Grav Weaponry?

The New Tactical Squad sounds interesting, but thats just because of the fact of, how the heck do you have two types of Tactical squad? Aren't tactical squads supposed to be Tacticaly versatile? Meaning, not Specifically for Defensive or attak, they're the jack-of-all-traes unit. Garauntted the new unit will be heavy offesnive, rendering the older and familiar Vanilla Tacitcal Squad left to Deployment Zone & Objective Defense.

The Man They Call Jayne

Well the SMs already have a pretty good flier, can already land in your lines turn one, have the toughest vehicle in the game and the best all round stats, why not give them the toys to make anyone else obsolete.

For feth sake GW, just when I thought you were making a turn around you pull this.

My only hope is that these special toys are prohibitively expensive so you are either limited to only a few in the army or you have plenty but very few men over all.

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 03, 2013, 06:17:20 PM
My only hope is that these special toys are prohibitively expensive so you are either limited to only a few in the army or you have plenty but very few men over all.
And what if the is a Blast or Large Blast Grav Weapon?
AFAICR the (Dark) Eldar would have this kind of technology, and I don't remember them having these sorts of toys.

I'd like to ask everybody who continues to buy into GW: Why?

The Man They Call Jayne

Seems like the Horus Heresy books are being dragged forward. This kind of tech was probably not uncommon at the height of the Imperium. But Heresy ISN'T 40k and just taking a basic game mechanic and saying "Well, you can ignore it because you are you" is just stupid. The Eldar being able to run and shoot was bad enough.

Chris

And so begins the battle of Marine Bashing.
If you're a marine player and you don't like the Gav weapons, don't use them. If you're not a Marine Player, you will either have a 4+ sv or a 5+ save, in which case, chances are they're not going to be all that effective.

Lets not forget, these are still only rumours, and the first wave at that. There is a lot of room for manoeuvre.

I'll be interested to see what these mini-dread / Uber terminators look like... They sound horrendous, and I'd like to see how they rationalise it. 

Cammerz

Well the grav weapons sound horrible, but it depends on their strength. If they're just strength 2 then my Bloodthirster can still hope to ignore its effects most of the time. Although something tells me it'll be Str 3 or 4 and we'll all need to bring hordes of Cultists, Guardsmen or Orks to deal with them, or maybe vehicles, perhaps vehicles will make a triumphant return.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Begel Dverl on August 03, 2013, 04:56:54 PM
*trumpet noise*

The might Dakka hath spoketh.

Quote from: Redemption 543907 5910181 df3d2375daa4391c1b3f8dfdc2fbca04.jpgBest_Pone over at Warseer, who was also spot on with his High Elf, Eldar, Apocalypse and Black Legion rumours, had this to say about the new Codex: Space Marines:

Quote from: Best_PoneUp for release in September is the new Codex: Space Marines.

- There will be 7 Ltd Ed varients. 6 of these will be covers for First Founding chapters, whilst the 7th will have Black Templars on the cover.

- New weapon family: Grav weapons. I believe these wound against the armour save (so terminators would be wounded as if they had a toughness of 2).

- First Founding chapters will be getting a substantial section each to themselves, so hopefully this can be looked as as Codex: Space Marines instead of Codex: Ultramarines. This will also show in a rule called Chapter Tactics, for which the effects depend on the chapter being played.

- There is a new armour type that at first glance looks to be somewhere between a terminator and a dreadnought - looking more closely, it appears to go over the marine's power armour however.
- This new armour can be armed in 2 ways, depending on the user. The devastator version has either a bolter array or missile launchers mounted on the chest armour, whilst the gauntlets can be armed with heavy bolters, lascannons or grav cannons. The assault version has a bolter array or frag launchers mounted on the chest armour, with assault drills mounted on the gauntlets.

- There are 2 new AA tanks. One tank veterans will already be familiar with as the Hunter, armed an AA missile launcher. The other tank mounts 2 tri-barreled turrets instead.

- There is a new tactical squad. Lots of options as you'd expect, but of particular interest will probably be the grav pistol and grav rifle.

- A new plastic Sternguard veteran squad.

- A new plastic Vanguard veteran squad.

- New plastic characters: a captain, a librarian and a chaplain.
Hopefully this will finally dispel the consistent rumours about the SM getting some mega-dreadnought.

Salt. Lots of salt must be taken. Always remember the salt. Or did everyone forget the first rules of rumours? :facepalm001:

The Man They Call Jayne

I find it hard to believe that Marines of all people would get new toys that just weren't all that effective. Tau have a good amount of 3+ and 2+ saves, as do Necrons if I recall. Eldar are mainly 4+ but there are more 3+s now Jetbikes are so much fun.

Yes, I know these are just rumours, but you can only react to what you hear, and so far I am not a fan.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 03, 2013, 10:42:26 PM
I find it hard to believe that Marines of all people would get new toys that just weren't all that effective. Tau have a good amount of 3+ and 2+ saves, as do Necrons if I recall. Eldar are mainly 4+ but there are more 3+s now Jetbikes are so much fun.

Yes, I know these are just rumours, but you can only react to what you hear, and so far I am not a fan.

Would be utterly useless against vehicles if the context of the rumours were right, and the author of the original rumour did say he 'believed', which a sign of uncertainty on his/her part as well. Not to mention that a lot of people tend to overreact anyway to anything. As always Marines will get the toys, but the general proposition is still that they are Marines, and will die the same.

I am more interested in the AA options of the Marines, as those could actually keep those that are using flyers to play it honest at times.

Rej

Do you know what I'm really sick of? All the whining, moaning and gamesworkshop bashing. People wonder why this websites become so quiet, it's because it's a pit of negativity that spends it's time attacking a game we're all meant to love.

I was going to type out a really firey and rousing call to arms but I can't be fragged anymore.

I for one am really excited for the update, not codex ultramarines? Sign me up! Sounds great, I'll be able to buy an Imperial Fists Lmt Edition codex? Great! Chapter Traits? Yes!!!! New units that and weapons? I'm cool with that, something to add  or not to my army, something new to fight, am I worried about it being over powered? Nope, I don't care, I play with friends, who also play for fun, the focus isn't on winning but having a nice game and eating ice cream after we're done. PLASTIC STERNGUARD WAHOOOOO!!!! I'll be able to make a sweet looking unit of ten now!

I mean, ohhh nooo, Marines are getting something new, the games broken, I quit based on these rumours from one guy that don't place the new units or weapons in context, in the codex at all or give us the actual rules.

But also

Quote from: Narric on August 03, 2013, 06:24:08 PM
I'd like to ask everybody who continues to buy into GW: Why?

Seriously? Go tuk'me yourself. But to answer your question, probably the same reason people having been buying from them for how long now? We had 40ks 25th anniversary last year didn't we. So quite sometime. They make quality products for a fun game that people enjoy playing. They've made an effort recently to increase the rate of their updates, we're getting a new release every month, it's great! Black Library and forgeworld are booming too! It's a good time to be a 40k lover.

I'd like to ask, for someone who obviously only has disdain and bad things to say about GW, why do you keep coming here? This website/forum was based on originally Tau, a 40k faction, and people came here to discuss and write about all things Tau and 40k. If you only have bad things to say, why would you keep coming here? To simply ruin the game for others? You hate GW and 40k, great for you, but frag off, take it somewhere else. Leave people alone that want to enjoy the game and stop trying to shit on their parade.

Edit: Thantos - reining in the profanities a level.
Phew...