News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Dra'Tuisisch-Novae, April 04, 2013, 02:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

I was inspired by the thread on Star Conflict to bring up the free-to-play simulation I've been addicted to lately. I know there's a lot of Battletech/Mechwarrior fans here - or used to be in the old days, at least - so I wanted to spread the word.

Like most games in the format, it's free to download and play online; players earn in-game currency to spend on new mechs, weapons and equipment. You can also spend real money for things like unique "hero" mechs and camouflage patterns (one of the few failings is the limited range of colours available for in-game currency - mechs come in drab green and you can buy red, orange, blue or purple.

However, unlike a lot of "pay to win" games, there's no need to spend real-world money other than for vanity or if you desperately want one of the custom hero mechs. New players earn huge amounts of bonus cash for their first 10-15 games, giving them enough for just about anything but a high-end Atlas variant. There are always four trial mechs available, one for each weight class, which are rotated every month; you can't customize them, but it does let you jump right in with everything from a fast harassment unit to a missile boat to a laser-brawler without having to shell out.

The game makes no pretenses about it's level of completeness; it's an open beta. Currently, there are four mechs in each class and 3-4 variants of each, with different options and hardpoint loadouts; more are added regularly, along with different features. Since I started playing about a month ago, they added a "training" mode to get to grips with the game (vital for new players!), boosted LRMs, nerfed LRMs again, added a new map, tweaked thermal vision (twice), tweaked night vision, added a new mech, and added two hero mechs. There are bugs and connection problems, but most of them don't make the game unplayable; just a bitch for one round (like losing IFF or your HUD). Said bugs are pretty rare, and usually crop up just after a patch. Otherwise play is very slick with good customization of controls and joystick/game controller support.

Interested?

My name in-game is Lord Reaver :).
[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

The Allfather

Just what I needed, even more f2p scifi combat... :P

Wargamer

I've played this a fair bit myself, and had fun with it. Definitely shows promise.

We should start organising Clans / Corporations / Frat Parties within these games for all the Second Sphere players out there.

Actually... eeebil schemes coming into my head now! Ambitious, but so worth it if it works! :D
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

Quote from: Wargamer on April 04, 2013, 10:21:08 AMActually... eeebil schemes coming into my head now! Ambitious, but so worth it if it works! :D

What are you thinking, whole coordinated teams on VoIP wreaking havoc in the name of the Greater Good (or the Emperor, or the Dark Gods, etc.)?

Oh - you may like the new "Heavy Metal" Highlander hero; though the paint job appears to be nicked from a Noise Marine, those speakers will actually play a short burst of heavy metal when you get a kill.

Edit: Grammar.

Lord Sotek

I...

I just might have to get into this. Especially if we get a 2S Clan going.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Chocomel

what are the speccs for this game? i have an old beastie to run games on.

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

From the website:

QuoteMechWarrior Online minimum requirements:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz  /  Athlon II X2 245e
GPU: GeForce 8800GT  /  Radeon HD 5600/5700
RAM: 4 GB
DirectX:  DX9
HDD Space: 4 GB

Take those specs with a grain of salt. I have Core 2 Duo at 3.2GHz, but I only have a Radeon HD 3870 and 2GB of RAM, and the game runs smoothly, albeit with everything set to minimum and hideous textures.