News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Goons and Wolves (AM/SW) vs. White Scars/I (1500, 5/5) in "BULLGRYN UNLEASHED!"

Started by BigToof, May 06, 2014, 03:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do the Goons and Wolves do?

Solid Victory (>3 VP difference)
0 (0%)
Minor Win (1-3 VP difference)
4 (80%)
Tie!
0 (0%)
Minor Loss (1-3VP)
1 (20%)
Total Loss! (>3VP)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

BigToof

Goons and Wolves (AM/SW) vs. White Scars/Inquisition (1500, 5/5) in "BULLGRYN UNLEASHED"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
Sometimes the madness hits you.  It's not totally my fault though.  Jayne said that he wanted Bullgyrn.  Of course, even he couldn't see the madness that would evolve out of a simple request like that.

It's a new Codex, and I needed something that would work, anything.  My list building is old school with pieces of paper, post-its and such littering the table, trying to make something work.  But it wouldn't.  Sixth Ed. is shooty.  Bullgryn aren't.  Tau and Eldar ignore cover and Bullgryn's advantage is giving cover.  They hit, but not good enough to deal with 2+ armor save mates.  So, I took the rest of my possibly expired sort-of-Asian wine cocktail and went to sleep.  I was immediately accosted by an old and familiar face: The scarred, beaten-up, but still badass visage of Lord Commissar Saemus O'Keefe.  My dream-brain has thankfully removed most of the converstion, but I remember being fitfully afraid for reasons I couldn't understand, and then awoke with a sudden realization:

WOLVES.

GOONS AND WOLVES.

So I began list building and lo and behold, a list did form.  Ugly, untested, but serviceable.  Oh, what I do for my audience.  So, then I went to my mates, looking for someone willing to fight the crazy.  And indeed, my friend who plays the White Scars, wanted to harm me.  Badly.  But, you know, in the game so he wouldn't be arrested.  After looking over my list, shaking his head a lot, he brought out his newest incarnation of nasty.

White Scars.  Centurions.  COTEAZ.

I gargled a bit, trying to not choke on the cheese, and my mate, the scalawag, bathed in that look of disgust and loathing.  And so we made a game, played it and watched as the dice sort of decided that we all must pay for our transgressions.  But, there were good times, solid list testing and most of all, RAW BULLGRYN carnage.

So, enjoy!  Leave a message and let me know if you want them back!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  There's also fluff.  Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated!

---------------------
The Lists
--------------------

Goons and Wolves (1500pts): 75 Infantry, 2 Vehicles; 14 VPs
2nd Auric Battalion (Astra Miliatrum)
-Lord Commissar Saemus O'Keefe w/Power Fist, Carapace Armor
-Priestess Yuki Mishima (Munistorum Priest)
-Manfred von Hellsreich (Primaris Psyker w/Force Staff)
-Bullgrynx5 w/Bone'ead Hilda
-Lt. Duncan Windsor-Smith (PCS w/Heavy Flamer, Flamer)
-Guardsmenx30 w/Lascannonsx3, PAxesx3
-Conscriptsx20
-Veterans w/Meltagunsx3
-Vendetta
Space Wolves
-Harald "Mad Harry" Runesmith (Rune Priest w/Runic Armor, Force Staff)
-Erik "Heartless" Redclaw (Rune Priest w/Terminator Armor, Force Axe, Combi-Melta)
-Grey Huntersx5 w/Meltagun in Drop Pod
-Long Fangsx5 w/MLx4

White Scars/Inquisition 1500: 25 Infantry, 1 Vehicle, 1 Artillery; 7-8 VPs
Khan w/Bike
Captain w/Bike, Power Fist, Artificer Armor, Shield Eternal
Bikesx9 w/Meltagunsx2, Multi-Melta Attack Bike
Bikesx5 w/Gravgunsx2, Sgt w/Combi-Grav
Bikesx5 w/Gravgunsx2, Sgt w/Combi-Grav
Stormtalon w/TL-Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missiles
Thunderfire Cannon
Centurionsx3 w/Gravcannons, Omniscope
Coteaz

-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Three: Goons and Wolves AKA The Masters of Disaster

"This is the stupidest plan we've ever had."

These words were grumbled at the worn and beaten wartable of the 2nd Auric Battalion by a weary and worldy Manfred von Hellsreich.  Wearing his usual black trenchcoat and gasmask, he stood out amongst the rest of the officers and advisors.  Not that there were that many. 

At the head of the table was the imposing figure of Lord Commissar Saemus O'Keefe.  He was wearing his usual formal, but utilitarian uniform complete with peaked Commissar cap and well-used Bolt Pistol.  His scarred visage had a smirk on it that irritated Hellsreich to no end and there was a maniacal glint in his eyes.  The grey-templed Commissar was all wiry sinew and muscle, to which softness and weakness were as foreign as sympathy and mercy.

To his right was the massive and somewhat vaguely feminine form of his second-in-comand mostly-by-default Bone'Ead Hilda.  An Ogryn, she dwarfed the others at the table, with muscles bulging from every angle and had hair that was something resembling pigtails if you looked at them at the right angle.  Her face was something best not observed for long, at least for those of normal constitution.  She, like the other Ogryn, was bolted into a suit of large, mostly-fitting carapace armor that looked like (and probably were) leftovers from tank repairs.  As getting them on was a feat that only a brace of Servitors could manage, the Ogryn were simply hosed off once in a while rather than attempt such an engineering miracle a second time.  But, the stench given off was simply unimaginable, and if not for the small sprigs of flowers and perfume drenched on her, the entire crew would have been made insensible.  Hellsreich could taste it even through mask, so he could only imagine what it was like for the others.  Which he did with a certain amount of frequency, and the images within brought him a certain amount of dark delight that their own folly was causing such noxious torment.

Also at the table was the petite Attalian Priestess Yuki Mishima, the newcomer to the group.  Hellsreich didn't trust the girl for several reasons.  One of which that she didn't talk and just sipped her damn tea.  He glared at her and took another look at her perfectly trimmed bangs, long black hair and elegant, foreign robes.  Priests weren't supposed to look like that.  Besides being male, they were fire, brimstone and balding.  Usually frothing if done right.  Not slight, pale and drinking lukewarm drainage.  She also didn't react to Hellsreich's glares, which usually sent the typical Guardsmen running in a panic.  He could end her in so many different ways.  Set aflame, crushed by falling debris, or even just broken over his force staff.  She was trivial in so many ways, yet was catered to in the same manner that he was, a fact which bothered him to no end. 

Lieutenant Duncan Windsor-Smith was thankfully a known quantity.  He was a typical Praetorian, tall, mustached, broad-shouldered with enough looks to get by.  But, he was also reserved enough not to tip the boat. 

Needless to say, all of the previous were better than the others. 

At least they were human.

A loud guffaw made Hellsreich reluctantly look to his right, where the two Space Wolves were seated.  Both were enormous, super-men that dwarfed all except the Ogryn.  The older of the pair was called "Mad Harry," and for the most part, the name fit.  Barely kempt in beard and manners, he had a brown and greying hirsute mustache that sort of blended into the rest of his face in an affront against clippers everywhere.  He seemed to be enjoying Hellsreich's discomfort, which only angered the Psyker more.  The other Space Wolf was quiet, which was only slightly more suspicious.  He was called "Heartless," and though he had a dark, trimmed beard and something resembling manners and hygiene, there was a kind of frightful intensity that set Hellsreich more on edge.  Indeed, the entire thing felt wrong.

"I take it, Hellsreich, you have a better plan?" asked O'Keefe with a grin.

Bastard, thought Hellsreich.  O'Keefe knew he didn't.  But charging in face first to get hit didn't make any sense.  The Space Wolves had intercepted some kind of message saying that the Inquisition was involved in some kind of activity near House Terryn, a Knight world.  That was all, but they were certain that something underhanded was going on.  And it was just his luck that they had gotten O'Keefe's attention.  Hellsreich was just starting to enjoy the quiet of shelling heretics on Durgas IX, when a Rogue Trader had arrived and deposited the Space Wolves, who told their preposterous story.  Somehow, O'Keefe had bought it all, and then pulled everyone off the holy duty of pounding ruins into smaller ruins and instead to charge recklessly into a situation that nobody really understood.  Hellsreich was pretty sure that the Imperial Navy Captain that O'Keefe had barked at didn't understand things either, but apparently, Commissars in a frothing rage have a way of getting what they want.

"Don't worry," chuckled Mad Harry, "Can't be that bad.  I've looked into the future.  There's fights in it."

O'Keefe nodded in agreement, "See Hellsreich.  Nothing to worry about.  Now all we have to do is find it."

"But, how can we be certain that the Inquisition are indeed up to 'no good' and should be stopped?"

O'Keefe and Harry looked at each other for a long moment before breaking out in laughter.

Harry wiped a tear from his eye.  "Oh, lad you are a jokster now.  Don't you worry, we'll come across some soon.  Then, we'll find the reason behind the whole affair."

O'Keefe nodded, and the other silent members were either clueless, drinking tea, Praetorian or glowering at some kind of inner daemons.  Throne above, thought Hellsreich.  The Psyker is the only source of sanity aboard the ship.  We're doomed.  Totally doomed.

---------------------------------------------------

Inquisitor Coteaz frowned at the reports his spy network had sent.  Madness, they said.  But, Coteaz saw something far different. 

An opportunity. 

For some as of yet unknown reason, the 2nd Auric Battalion had left Durgas IX and combined with a group of Space Wolves completely without orders from the Adminastratum.  They were headed to Terryn at all speed, and it was impossible that they could have gleaned the fragile nature of the situation they were barging towards.  The great noble houses were undergoing an internal conflict that could leave matters quite tenable to those that had the proper connections.  However, if allowed to grow uncontrolled, the Knights therein might be irrevocably damaged or lost.  There were hints of more nefarious undertones, but to Coteaz they meant little in the grand scheme.  The only difference between dictators and saviors was which side of the gun you were on.  And the combined forces of Guard and Wolf headed toward Terryn would have all the stabilizing effect of an open barrel of promethium in a Lho stick factory. 

They had to be stopped.  Pulling up the dossiers of their leaders, Lord Commissar Saemus O'Keefe and Rune Priest "Mad Harry," Coteaz realized that reason and negotiation would have as much effect as spitting into the Eye of Terror.  No, force had to be met with force, and he had the ideal candidates for such a mission...

Pre-Game Thoughts: Well... I have him outnumbered, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as he has much more mobile and durable models.  Granted, I don't think Grav will be as helpful for him this time around, but that Thunderfire is going to be putting out more than a bit of hurt for my little T3 guys.  If I get even a bit unlucky, that's going to be a valuable IC taken out of the picture.  I have no idea how Bullgryns will do.  None.  I think they're pretty beaty on paper, but I don't know if it'll be worth it.  The Wolves will hopefully help out as Long Fangs and Rune Priests are never a bad thing.  My opponent seems pretty sure of himself, if only that seeing a good chunk of one's list being Ogryns is never a sign of beardiness.

Setup: Vanguard Strike (Diagonals), Night Fight: ON
Mission: Big Guns Never Tire (HS scoring), 3 objectives
Warlord:
-O'Keefe: Can give orders (!)
-Khan: Gains extra VP for challenges
Powers:
-Harry: Prescience
-Erik: Jaws, Lightning
-Hellsreich: Ignores Cover
-Coteaz: Misfortune, Prescience

------------------------------------------------------------------

To Be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Mabbz

I can't say that I expected your priestess to be so... reserved after I suggested that Lady Saigo be the priest, but I can't say I'm displeased. Also, you made me picture Hilda, so now I'm too scared to complain ;)

Anyways, I reckon you'll get a minor win. Tough fight, but I'm confident the guard and wolves will pull through.

The Man They Call Jayne

Indeed. This should be very close. Grav Cannons can do nasty things, but you are lucky in that you can make them less effective against the Bullgyrns by not putting them in base contact with each other while in range of them.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Cammerz

Never thought we'd see O'Keefe again, but there he is in all his glory, still running with Ogryns as is only right for a man of his standing, can't say I'm disappointed of course. As for the other characters, we'll wait and see how they turn out.

I like how the Terryn storyline is still making waves in your battle reports, I do like an overarching plotline.

But I have a confession to make, I voted for a minor loss, I don't know what came over me but I looked at the army lists and you just have so much more to lose. Were it any other mission type I'd hand you the victory as I always do but if he makes contact with your blob then those victory points will start dropping like flies.

Looking forward to seeing the conclusion of this one, and I'd certainly enjoy reading about your new priestess in action.

BigToof

Apologies for the delay all.  Real life took Spare Time outside for a thrashing, and it's just recovered.

Thank you all for the very kind comments!

Quote from: Mabbz on May 06, 2014, 07:25:29 AM
I can't say that I expected your priestess to be so... reserved after I suggested that Lady Saigo be the priest, but I can't say I'm displeased. Also, you made me picture Hilda, so now I'm too scared to complain ;)

Anyways, I reckon you'll get a minor win. Tough fight, but I'm confident the guard and wolves will pull through.

Hi Mabbz,
Thanks for the reply!
I hope Yuki is at least intriguing and I wanted her to be significantly different or even opposite of Lady Saigo.  You'll be seeing more of Yuki and her sisters, as long as 7th doesn't nerf them into the ground.  Let me know what you think of the battle and of the fluff!

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 06, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
Indeed. This should be very close. Grav Cannons can do nasty things, but you are lucky in that you can make them less effective against the Bullgyrns by not putting them in base contact with each other while in range of them.

Hi Jayne,
It wasn't quite as many had expected, but I think it was just due to postioning more than anything (or perhaps the concept of Ignore Cover and Lascannons made my opponent more sheepish than usual.  Let me know what you think of the fight!  If you have questions, I'll be glad to field them!

Quote from: Cammerz on May 06, 2014, 08:01:25 PM
Never thought we'd see O'Keefe again, but there he is in all his glory, still running with Ogryns as is only right for a man of his standing, can't say I'm disappointed of course. As for the other characters, we'll wait and see how they turn out.

I like how the Terryn storyline is still making waves in your battle reports, I do like an overarching plotline.

But I have a confession to make, I voted for a minor loss, I don't know what came over me but I looked at the army lists and you just have so much more to lose. Were it any other mission type I'd hand you the victory as I always do but if he makes contact with your blob then those victory points will start dropping like flies.

Looking forward to seeing the conclusion of this one, and I'd certainly enjoy reading about your new priestess in action.

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad the fluff is working for you.
Sadly enough, nobody managed to guess the BigToof points right on this one...

Perhaps next poll, I'll have to make it more straightforward (win vs lose vs tie?)

In any case, let me know what you think of the rep!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

Setup:
The terrain fairy is fairly giving this time around, giving us some ruins and rocky outcroppings.  A notable large ruin was in one corner, with one more near the front of one DZ.  The objectives went down far in the DZ of both sides and the last roughly in the center.  My opponent decided that he didn't want to give me the more defensive setup, and took the one in the corner. 
He put the Thunderfire and Centurions with Coteaz in it, using the Techmarine to upgrade it to a 3+ cover save.  The bikes went spread out evenly in a line with Khan and the Captain joining the bigger squad in the middle.  The Stormtalon went in reserve.

I was left with some challenges this time in deployment, mostly as I had NO idea as to how to manage all this.  I decided to try the old "mobile flanks" setup, as I had a feeling that my opponent would try and swing around me one way or the other.  So, in the back, nicely out of Thunderfire range, I put the Long Fangs and Hellsreich.  The Blob went to the right with Harry.  I put the Conscripts in front to the left.  I put the Ogryns with all of the Guard ICs behind the conscripts.  The Grey Hunters and Erik went next to the Ogryn.  I decided to leave the Bullgryn as shields "unlocked" for the time being as it is night fight and the only thing that could potentially really hurt them would be the grav weapons, and a 4+ to wound is soundly worse than a 3+ to wound.  Realizing that I had no place to put the Vets, they went into reserve with the Vendetta that had Duncan and his burny squad in it.

White Scars then scouted forwards, getting to about the middle of the DZ.  I tried to seize... and once again failed.  So began the slaughter!

Picture Caption: Wow, and I have no way to deal with all that.  Let's hope that numbers will be in my favor...

----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------
Interlude
-----------------------

"Good news!  We're completely surrounded.  They can't possibly escape now!"

Primaris Psyker Hellsreich looked up with half-frustration, half-incredulity at Lord Commissar Saemus O'Keefe.  As soon as their ship entered into Terryn space, they were set upon by an Astartes Battle Barge.  No attempts at negotiations were made and lance fire rippled through space, gouging out large chunks of both vessels.  With some trepidation, the Imperial Navy Captain told O'Keefe that they would have to attempt landfall now without any scans or retreat back to the Warp.  The Captain, like Hellsreich and any rational man, thought that O'Keefe would rather retreat than land blindly on a planet that they knew nothing about against a force that was obviously waiting for them and probably outnumbered them.

But, things like logic and "common sense" were not things that ran through O'Keefe's mind.  And so here they were, surrounded by Adeptus Astartes on an unknown world, hunched around ruins and trying not to die.  Or rather he was.

O'Keefe, on the other hand, seemed to be having a grand time, standing tall around his Ogryn and peering out into the darkness.  A look of grim satisfaction was on his face.  Hellsreich and the others peered around, but couldn't see anything in the inky blackness.

"Keefer?" asked Bone'Ead Hilda, who was looming as politely as possible over the Commissar, "You don't fink they ran away, do you?"

All of the Ogryn looked crestfallen at the thought, although Hellsreich saw more than one Guardsman mutter a small prayer to the Emperor for just such a windfall.

O'Keefe chuckled and shook his head, "Not yet, Hilda.  They've got a fight on their hands, and if I know the White Scars, they'll strike when they think they can deliver a killing blow."

Hlida scratched her head, causing some small burrowed creatures to leap to safety, "So, they don't run yet?"

A loud belch brought everyone's attention to the Space Wolves, who were opening up kegs of some foul-smelling liquor, quaffing them down while singing some kind of crude-sounding song.  Mad Harry took a swig and offered it to Heartless, who shook his head and looked out into the darkness with a certain amount of impatience.

"Don't worry," said Harry to noone in particular, "We can smell those bike-lovers out there.  They've got their rides down to a low rumble, but you can't stop the odor of oil and gas fumes.  'S fine.  They'll be coming to ride us down soon enough."

The Ogryns clapped their hands with glee, while the Guard around them looked ashen-face and crest-fallen.  Hellsreich grumbled, and went back to look in on the newest example of O'Keefe's madness: the Conscripts.

As it became obvious that they were, in fact, more than a little outnumbered, O'Keefe had ordered that all able bodies were to be given armor, lasgun and ordered to the front.  Hellsreich had argued against sending out everyone given the very questionable quality of the newly appointed Whiteshields, but O'Keefe had once again failed to listen to reason. 

As Hellsreich rounded a slab of broken plascrete, he took a moment to sneer at Priestess Yuki Mishima, who was standing out in the open as if it were a festival.  She was even wearing a pristine looking blue foreign-looking robe with a ribbon tied in the back, carrying a lacquered umbrella.  And she was still sipping that damn tea.  If the Priestess noticed him, she made no sign, still looking contemplative at the night.  Hellsreich shook his head and passed by. 

He was hoping the Conscripts would have more sense, as they were freshly recruited and thus less time under O'Keefe's indoctrination.  But, what he saw chilled him to the bone.  The Conscripts were set in something resembling orderly lines, and they were smiling.  SMILING!  Some were even reading the Imperial Primer.  Hellsreich hadn't seen that book in years, as it had as much validity as a Ratling's sworn testimony.  Poor fools, he thought.  O'Keefe was going to throw them away like the genetic refuse they were.  He doubted even a single one would last beyond the first minute of combat...

-----------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------
Turn 1: White Scars
-----------------------------

Unbelievable, thought Inquisitor Coteaz as he retrieved the latest data from his Psyber-hawk.  The Guard and Wolves were just sitting there, waiting for a fight.  They were making no attempts at a retreat or to reinforce their area in any way.  Did they not know they were up against a superior force with unparalleled maneuverability?  He nodded to Captain Khan, who raised his sword.  Suddenly, the air was filled with the roar of engines and the bikes of the White Scars swept forward like a wave of death, ready to engulf all those before them.  If he didn't know better, Coteaz thought he felt a pang of sympathy for his opponents.  Defeating a completely outclassed opponent was never a challenging endeavor.
----------------------------------------------------

The bikes all move up.  My opponent very carefully measures out 18" from the Bullgryn, making sure to keep his bikes out of "BULLGRYN DEATH RANGE."  As the Thunderfire is way out of range, the first turn of fire is sort of mild.  I lose a few Guardsmen and Conscripts, but nothing really significant.

Picture Caption: Darkness.  The Guardsman's best friend.  Next to you know, ignorance and feigning death really well.

--------------------------------
Turn 1: Guard and Wolves
--------------------------------

Hellsreich shook his head as the bikes came in like a vengeful white tide.  They would have little luck in doing anything.  He had the foresight to position himself as far away from the front lines as possible, namely next to the more-than-slightly inebriated Long Fangs.  The Wolves hoisted their enormous Missile Launchers like they were toys.  Some were betting on who would hit the first bike, but Hellsreich doubted they could do anything at that speed and range.  In fact, unless he helped, they would do little at all and then...  And then the bikes would flank them and murder them all.

"Listen you bunch of half-drunk nimrods.  Aim on my mark and you'll hit them."

The leader of the elder Space Wolves raised an eye and then looked at his fellows.  The enormous Astartes then broke out into belly-shaking laughter. 

Hellsreich fumed and replied, "Fine, I'll buy the next round if you don't hit."

The promise of free alcohol was plenty for the Long Fangs, who brought their weapons to bear.  Hellsrecih concentrated and felt the lines of the future open up.  All he had to do was find the right one...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Psychic powers start with Harry and Hellsreich juicing up the Long Fangs.  Now the old Wolves are rolling ignore cover, re-rollable Missile Launchers!  My opponent apparently didn't think of that combo, as he suddenly takes a very, very keen interest in my backfield unit.

My pod comes down, and it lands in the way of the right small bike squad.  It pretty much blocks their assault route, so unless they roll hella well, or the blob doesn't retreat very far, I'll be safe from them for a turn.  I shuffle the conscripts out a bit thinner, but make sure to put a group out to the left, just in case the Long Fangs can't get the job done.  Heartless joins the Bullgryn, who move a bit forwards and join their Slab Shields together.  The blob falls back from the front and right, hopefully getting out of charge range.

Then, shooting begins!  I start with First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire from O'Keefe, and somehow, the Conscripts understand that order and send out a blistering number of shots into the Bikes on the left.  I roll a hella bunch of dice and end up downing... ONE BIKE.  It's not much, but somehow, I feel now justified that the Conscripts did something.  The Long Fangs then fire and clean up the left Bikers, landing four of four shots and without cover, all of the bikers go down.  I throw out Living lighting and some other shots into the bikers on the right, but only down one.  (meh)

Picture Caption: Fear my rockets of ruin!  Oh, also... RUN AWAY blob, RUN AWAY!

-------------------
Turn 2: White Scars
-------------------

Khan shook his head in amazement.  How had the Wolves shattered Odebai's squad so easily?  The Bikes were moving at near lightning speed.  They would need either extreme luck or....

"Pyskers," spat Khan, "Telmun, order the Stormtalon forwards.  Let those cowards feel the wrath of the White Scars!"
---------------------------------------------

So, well, the Stormtalon comes in and I suppose it's no surprise that it lines up for perfect shots on the Long Fangs.  The big Bike squad moves forwards and the small bike squad does it's best to skirt around the Drop Pod.

Shooting starts, and my opponent gets out his measuring tape.  He tries to measure how to get around the thin layer of conscripts for what looked like a multicharge on everyone, but there's too many Whiteshields in the way.  He starts with the Bikes on the right that shoot up a bit of the blob, taking down a few Guardsmen, but not much, really.  The Centurions then fire, but even though they get some hits, my cover saves are decent and not enough Guardsmen fall.  My opponent then gets out his Thunderfire Cannon and, after a lot of thought, decides to try and snipe O'Keefe.  Some shots do fall on target, but I easily pass them off to Hearltess and his 2+ save.  Needless to say, he's kind of disappointed and then opens up with his bike squad at near point-blank range on the Conscripts.  He rolls hot, and almost every bullet wounds.  I roll and...  well, I suppose cover saves aren't what they used to be.  The Conscripts are whittled down to about a half-dozen.  I roll an 8 for a moral check, and my opponent smirks and starts to measure out the Whiteshields.  Then I realize that he has inadvertently shot them out of O'Keefe's Ld10 radius!  The Conscripts then go running back to more relative safety and out of range of any possible assault.
A bit chuffed, my opponent tries and fails with a charge on the right, and the center bike squad sits there, waiting for my response.

Picture Caption: Wait... so being shot to shreds easily is a good thing?

--------------------------
Turn 2: Guard and Wolves
--------------------------
Lord Commissar Saemus O'Keefe watched with some grim satisfaction as the Astartes drove the Conscripts away.  It was to be expected really.  But, they had left themselves open.  Fine and well enough.  He heard a soft chanting, and saw Priestess Yuki carefully placing some kind of reddish paper on all of the Ogryn.  She bowed politely before O'Keefe, and he took one and hung it on his armor.  He'd seen them before.  Good luck charms blessed by the power of the Emperor himself.  Looking around, he saw that all of the Ogryn felt the same swell of holy inner power come to the fore.  The Attalians were unusual, but he'd be damned if they were any less effective.

"Hilda!" barked O'Keefe.

His second-in-command nodded and let go with a terrifying bellow, "SHIELDS UP!  GET STUCK IN!"

The Bullgryn slammed their sheilds together, nodding to each other with satisfied smirks as the magnetic locks between the shields made a satisfying humm.  The wall of metal then advanced forwards.  Those behind the shields were aware of some frenzied gunfire that pattered off like a summer rain.  The enormous Abhumans rushed forwards until there was a crunch of metal and squeal of tires.

"PUSH!" ordred Hilda, and the Ogryns did exactly that.  Brakes and engines tried to compete against over two-tonnes of muscle, and were found wanting.  Astartes and bike alike were thrown end over end, only the most skilled managing to keep their bearing.  As the Bullgryn separated their shields, O'Keefe nodded to the grim-faced Space Wolf Heartless, who simply sealed his Terminator helmet with a hiss of pressurized air.  Pride cometh before a fall, and the White Scars were certainly guilty of that.

----------------------------------------------
Right, so Lady Luck just winked at me, so who am I to say no?

First off, psychic powers.  I put Prescience on the Bullgryn and activate ignore cover.
The Conscripts are now within 6" of O'Keefe and thankfully aren't under 25% yet, so they rally just fine. 
The Vendetta comes in and I put it within spitting distance of the Stormtalon.

Movement has the Bullgryn move up to assault.  The blob pretty much stays in the same place.

I fire ignore cover Lascannons at the Thunderfire Cannon and just manage to take it down.  (cheers go up amongst the T3 mates)
I also fire into the big bike squda, but only manage to do a wound on the 2+ Captain.
Then to assault!  We go in with shields locked, and the bolters that do hit do nothing through my 3+ armor save (awesome!).
Yuki manages to make everyone re-roll wounds, and now I'm re-rolling hits AND wounds.

That's... pretty awesome.  My opponent thinks about challenging with Khan, but realizes that I have a guy with Terminator armor and a Force Axe.  So... yeah, the 2+ Captain challenges, and I accept with Hilda.  The Bullgryn slam into the Bikes, who do nothing back.  After all is said and done, Khan is left on one wound, as is the Captain.  Hilda is also hanging on a single wound, but the BIG hits go on the Bikes and ALL are wiped out.  Special note to O'Keefe and Heartless for doing major damage.  Khan and the Captain surprisingly make their morale check on snake eyes (!), and then hit and run out of combat towards the smaller bike squad...  I consolidate towards the bikes in case they want to rumble again.

Picture Caption: Double buffed Bullgryn are just amazing!

-----------------------
Turn 3: White Scars
-----------------------

Cheers went up amongst the combined Infantry, as the Bullgryn went in and made an absolute mess of the huge squad of bikes.  Harry nodded to himself.  Perhaps this would be an easy sort of bout after...

But, then two of the bikers, bloodied, but not broken raced away and with almost eloquent precision, joined up with the last of the bikes.  They then roared a challenge and raced towards the assembled Guardsmen.

Harry nodded to himself as he raised his Force Staff.  Can't let the Ogryn have all the fun.  It had been a while since he'd had a good scrap.  What's the worst that could happen?

--------------------------------------------
Reeling from my assault, my opponent moves Khan and the Captain up to the smaller bike squad.  They then fire and assault into the blob!  Thunderfire and Krak missiles land on the Bullgryn, but none of the ICs are sniped out.

In assault, the Captain challenges again and for some reason, I think that Harry has a chance to snipe out that last wound before the Captain can fist him to death.  Perhaps I felt the need to even things up and give my opponent a chance, or rather more likely I forgot that he was sporting 2+ armor...  In any case, my staff bounces off his armor and the Captain power fists Harry into the stratosphere.  The rest of the blob manages to take down a single bike, but it's a massacre otherwise.  I need snake eyes to stay, but fail and am then run down...

Picture Caption: Well... mistakes were made...

----------------------
Turn 3: Guard and Wolves
----------------------

"Damnation!" roared O'Keefe as he watched the Bikers knock down the Rune Priest and disperse the Guardsmen with all but the most minimal of effort.  A pity, really, but more fighting for him, which was never a bad thing...

"Harry!"

O'Keefe looked over and saw that the other Terminator armor-clad Priest had taken off his helmet and had a bloodthirst in his eyes. 

The Priest turned to O'Keefe and said, "That murderer will pay by our... my hands, Commissar.  Do not seek to stand in my way."

The Ogryn turned to O'Keefe who nodded in acceptance.  Lad had a good fire in him.  Hate to see it go to waste. 

-----------------------------------------------------
The Bullgryn again shield up and charge in.  Bolters bounce off the shields once again and this time, we have a complete wipeout of the White Scars.  The Captain tried to challenge, but Heartless sacrifices himself to take out that last wound...  In the meantime, the rest of my forces slowly move up to the middle of the board, looking to take another objective.

Picture Caption: And now... there are less bikes...  Less models in general...  At least the turns wll go faster!

BigToof Points:

BigToof

-------------------------
Turn 4: White Scars and Guard/Wolves
-------------------------
The Centurions move up and fire a bit at the Bullgryn and Conscripts, not doing too much, as we're still out of Grav-cannon range.

My forces keep the pressure up and I have Yuki and O'Keefe transfer to the Conscripts, who then run up and get closer to the objective.  Shots go into the Centurions, but they are more than a bit hard to take out, what with their 2+ saves and 2 wounds...

Picture Caption: So we can't really hurt each other at range...  How convenient.

---------------------------
Turn 5: White Scars and Guard/Wolves
---------------------------
The Centurions get closer and put shots into the Bullgryn and Conscripts again, but find that Grav-Cannons don't work that well on 5+ armor save guys...

The Conscripts make it to the Central objective, with the Bullgryn close behind.  The Vendetta takes out a Centurion.

And now, if the game ends, Guard and Wolves win!

But...

It doesn't!

Picture Caption: Looks like we're going into overtime!

--------------------------------------
Turn 6: White Scars and Guard/Wolves
--------------------------------------

Inquisitor Coteaz readied his Daemon Hammer as he charged forwards towards the disorganized Guardsmen.  Some tried to put up a pitiful defense, but he ran past them easily.  The Centurions could deal with these wretches.  He was looking for the head of the snake.  Just as he saw the peaked hat of the Commissar, a slim figure wearing blue robes stepped in his way.  Coteaz frowned as he saw that it was just a girl carrying an umbrella, chanting in some foreign tongue and sipping tea from a cup. 

Nothing to worry about at all.  He charged forwards, not bothering to slow down, and then saw the girl throw her cup up.  He watched the cup, if only out of reflex, and heard a strange metallic sound.  Looking down, he saw the girl catch the cup and walk away, sheathing something in the hilt of the umbrella.  Coteaz was about to continue past when suddenly his legs gave out.  Falling to his knees, he tried to steady himself, but failed.  Something cold was running down his side, and he reached over to feel blood flowing from an armored greave.  This was artificer armor, the best the Astartes could create.  How could a mere girl pierce...  Then, his thoughts faded as the darkness overtook him.

Realizing that the White Scars still have a chance to win it if he can clear the Conscripts, kill O'Keefe and secure the Central Obective, the Centurions charge in!  He challenges with Coteaz, and I accept... with Yuki!

In assault, the Centurions don't do that much damage (they have one attack base each??), but O'Keefe manages to Fist one of the big Marines down).  I decide to go balls out (or ovaries... whatever...) with Yuki and I roll for SMASH with her.  She gets the buff, hits Coteaz, and wounds him with a S6 AP2 strike, which INSTANT-KILLS the Inquisitor!  With that loss, the last Centurion falls back out of combat, and my Conscripts consolidate back to the objective.

And with that, the game ends.

Picture Caption: Go Priestess!

----------------------------------
Result: Guard and Wolves SOLID Victory!
----------------------------------

------------------------
Post-Game Thoughts:
------------------------
Wow, well, it looks like the Guard aren't too shabby after all.  Both my opponent and I made some big misplays.  I totally mismanaged the blob, which lead to their speedy demise, and I think my opponent was just too aggressive wit the bikes, but not enough with the Centurions.  I know he was really worried about the ignore cover Lasgurns/meltaguns, but in the end, that big deathstar I was worried about was just too far away for most of the game.  As for my own experiments, the Bullgrn were lots of fun, and not too overpowered at all.  Getting ahead of myself, though.  Let's do this proper:

1.  Bullgryn
Just amazingly hitty with a Priest buff.  The ability to re-roll wounds was huge and really put them over the top when dealing with bikers.  Also, their ability to charge in and just absorb overwatch bolters.  Still, they are hella pricey and slow.  Still, good for holding the center and to deny charges on your squishier Guardsmen.

2.  Conscripts
Cheap, get in the way of so many things and overall, just a fun little unit.  Nicely low leadership, so they will be sure to run when you don't want them in the way.

3.  Space Wolves
Having a guy in 2+ armor with a Force Axe is really useful.  Plus, they give counter-charge and a good amount of hitty forces.  The Drop Pod acting as a charge buffer was also fun and cheap.  Also, Long Fangs and ignore cover is just a sick combination.

4.  Priest
Yuki gets special mention as she smashed the pants off of Coteaz :)  Her buffs really helped a lot, and it made the Ogryn go from being sort of menacing to downright terrifying.  I have to find a good model for her now :)

5.  Lord Commissar
O'Keefe was my main destroyer of Bikes.  The Ogryn took down a few each round, but O'Keefe sealed the deal with his multiple attacks and re-rolling S6 AP2 Power Fist wounds.  Plus, having him give orders was just hilarious.  I think that if you want to go more competitive, paying the fifty or so more points and getting Yarrick is probably the better deal, but the standard LC still puts in good work.

So...  Overall, I think the new IG can be seriusly deadly both in assault and in shooting.  Granted, I'm not throwing them up against a Seer Council or the like, but they brutally took care of business with the bikes.  A single Thunderfire Cannon was clearly not enough to deal with all of my mayhem, which was comforting.  S5 ignore cover blasts mean little to Bullgryn, and even though he could have (and probably should have) starting sniping out my special weapons, I don't think it made TOO much difference.  I'd love to try Bullgryn out again, but with the new edition change, you never know what's going to happen...

-------------------------------------------------

----------------------
Epilogue
----------------------

Primaris Psyker Hellsreich regained consciousness in a roiling bout of nausea laden with humiliation.  Run down by a horde of stampeding Guardsmen.  Would he ever live this down?  Looking around, he saw that he was in the medical tent, which was, to no surprise lined by Guardsmen, many of which were Whiteshields.  Good, he thought, they'd learn the harsh realities of Guardsmen life and wouldn't be so quick to listen to orders next time.  O'Keefe and his damnable arrogance would get them all killed.  But, he noticed that most were looking at someone else in the tent.  Glancing over, expecting to see the medic, he felt his teeth grind together when he saw Priestess Yuki, who was dispensing small tokens and charms.  The Guardsmen apparently didn't know how to act around a girl.  She wasn't even that pretty and...  And she was walking this way.

He tried to ignore her, but she knelt down next to his bed, and set up a small number of odd looking thin candles next to his bed.  After lighting them, she bowed to him and walked away.  Hellsreich was about to bat the things away, when the soothing smell slowly wafted into his nostrils.  It wasn't entirely unpleasant and it somehow was sort of relaxing.  His vision seemed to swim slightly and Hellsreich figured that letting it go this time wasn't so bad...  There'd be more to worry about tomorrow.  After all, there was no end of things in the 41st Millennium to kill you quite dead...
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Well, that went much better than expected, although for some reason I thought this was a victory points mission, not sure why, had I realised that it was objectives I would have gone for an Astra victory.
And what a victory, those Bullgryns were very good and your independent characters were very solid (I definitely need a priest now, I'll drop my veteran sergeant's power fist and grab one with an autogun, I wasn't going to use the fist really but my model looks pretty badass with it). I love the whole assassin aspect you've given Yuki, I cannot say I was expecting that at all, I totally forgot that smash grants AP2 as I've only ever used it with my Bloodthirster (who has AP2 as standard).

Personally I would like to state my preference for Lady Jenna's Astras over O'Keefe's (don't let him hear me say that) but I'd be happy to see more of this lot at some point in the future.

Well done on the victory, looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Job's a good un!

The Man They Call Jayne

Bullgryns can just soak up wounds like nobodies business and Hammer of Wrath is great for those times you get to charge in yourself. Well done Yuki though, that was pretty nasty stuff.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

See, this is why priests are my favourite unit in the codex. They're cheap, they provide some fantastic buffs, and there's nothing quite as awesome and hilarious as seeing one murder some expensive character in melee. I recently had a game where my priest survived two rounds of a combat and even managed to inflict a wound in a challenge with Mephiston (I passed something like nine invulnerable saves before dying). I love what you've done with Yuki, although I've just noticed that she hasn't even said a word yet. That said, I too prefer Lady Jenna. Maybe Yuki could be transfered...? ;)

As for the game itself, I naturally assume that you will win. You didn't seem overly confident (you kept referring to your list as madness) so I went for the minor option. As such, I blame my incorrect guess on you. :P

BigToof

Thank you all for the very kind comments!

Quote from: Cammerz on May 11, 2014, 09:25:11 PM
Well, that went much better than expected, although for some reason I thought this was a victory points mission, not sure why, had I realised that it was objectives I would have gone for an Astra victory.
And what a victory, those Bullgryns were very good and your independent characters were very solid (I definitely need a priest now, I'll drop my veteran sergeant's power fist and grab one with an autogun, I wasn't going to use the fist really but my model looks pretty badass with it). I love the whole assassin aspect you've given Yuki, I cannot say I was expecting that at all, I totally forgot that smash grants AP2 as I've only ever used it with my Bloodthirster (who has AP2 as standard).

Personally I would like to state my preference for Lady Jenna's Astras over O'Keefe's (don't let him hear me say that) but I'd be happy to see more of this lot at some point in the future.

Well done on the victory, looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Job's a good un!

Thanks Cammerz,
I'm glad that you were impressed by Yuki and the Ogryn.  I know I was.  I think I may be leaning towards Lady Jenna's list given what I've been hearing about 7th, but I'll have to see what pops up.  We'll have to see...

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 11, 2014, 10:45:35 PM
Bullgryns can just soak up wounds like nobodies business and Hammer of Wrath is great for those times you get to charge in yourself. Well done Yuki though, that was pretty nasty stuff.

Thanks Jayne!
The Bullgryn did good work, I think I got lucky with the charge, though.  Thanks for the suggestion on bringing them out.  Yuki is gaining fans it seems :)  I'll have to keep her around in future lists.

Quote from: Mabbz on May 11, 2014, 11:53:32 PM
See, this is why priests are my favourite unit in the codex. They're cheap, they provide some fantastic buffs, and there's nothing quite as awesome and hilarious as seeing one murder some expensive character in melee. I recently had a game where my priest survived two rounds of a combat and even managed to inflict a wound in a challenge with Mephiston (I passed something like nine invulnerable saves before dying). I love what you've done with Yuki, although I've just noticed that she hasn't even said a word yet. That said, I too prefer Lady Jenna. Maybe Yuki could be transfered...? ;)

As for the game itself, I naturally assume that you will win. You didn't seem overly confident (you kept referring to your list as madness) so I went for the minor option. As such, I blame my incorrect guess on you. :P

Hi Mabbz,
Agreed that Priests are great this edition.  I think they'll be the hidden gem of the book, unless 7th changes things around so much.  Yuki being transferred is certainly an option...  I guess we'll have to see :)

This is probably (most likely) my last published 6th ed. game, as 7th is coming just around the corner.  Not to say that I've published every game I've played, but given my writing schedule, I'll probably have to keep those games sadly unreported...  Thank you all again, and the future is certainly going to be interesting!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: