News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Teaching a beginner.

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, August 16, 2014, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

On tuesday I am teaching a new kid to our gaming club how to play 40k. Made up a 500 point list to cover the basics. Going to be playing against some Space Wolves using 6th edition rules.

HQ -

Commander
CIB
Plasma Rifle
Onager Gauntlet

Troops-

Fire Warriors x12

Elites-

XV25 x3
Fusion Blaster

XV8 x2
Fireknife x2

Heavy-

XV88 Broadside
Heavy Rail Rifles
SMS.

I think this should cover the basics of most kinds of movement he can expect as a Tau player, and coves our most commonly used weapons and units. We aren't covering vehicles just yet, so that is why there are none in this list. Plus the only thing that I would really put in a 500pt list is a Fusion Piranha and that isn't really very effective.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

I assume two units of 6 fire warriors?

It certainly seems good as a starting force. Will Pathfinders be for lesson 2? ;)

knowing his list, and acting as mentor, will your SW list be a TAc list also, but perhaps include some suitable targets for each of his units?

Good luck with the teaching. If he's old enough, send him our way for even more input of things to learn and know :)

The Man They Call Jayne

Just a single unit of 12. More like a combat patrol. Just allows him to get used to unit interaction, how a Commander can join squads, how cover and cover save bonuses work, how different weapons on the same unit work together and how to pick the right unit for the right job.

My mate is making a similarly balanced SW list. The lads brother will be taking control of those for the game. They will be playing against each other and we will explain what they need to do, then let them decide how they want to go about it.

They are only about 7 and 10 I think, bit young to be here, but their dad seems interested as well.

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4