News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Heresy (backup) - Mechanics thread

Started by Wargamer, May 10, 2012, 01:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

A summary of how the mechanics work:

Direct Combat:
Hostiles (and friendlies, in fact) are generated using an Army Strength system just like the Legions. One Army / Chapter / Fleet generates a combat dice - 1D10.

Any action taken by the unit uses the combat dice. In straight up combat you simply roll all the dice, apply all the modifiers, factor in Critical Hits, etc. and then apply the result.
For every ten points you win by, an enemy army is wiped out. Both sides then roll 1D10 for every ten points won by, 1D10 for every opposing unit that rolled a 1, plus an additional 1D10 for every Critical Hit their side scored and, finally, +1D10 if you rolled more 9's than your opponent in combat. If you beat the unit's combat value, you kill it.

Space Marines begin the Campaign with a combat value of 5, meaning a roll of 6+ is needed to kill them. However, as their armour improves and the Legions become ever stronger, this value increases. For example, (and I'll post this up so as to be fair to everyone. ;)) A Legion with Mk IV or Mk V armour only takes casualties on a 7+, and only on an 8+ once Mk VI rolls around.

"Attribute Tests":
When a Chapter / Army / Whatever is seeking to gain recruits, fortify a position, raid enemy space or otherwise engage in something other than hitting a known, statted army block, they take an attribute test.

1D10 is rolled for each unit in the force, and the following applies:
1 - Failure.
2-3 - Poor result.
4-6 - Moderate result.
7-8 - Good result.
9 - Critical Result.
10 - Success.
It is up to the DM to decide what each of these categories means.

A roll of 9 is critical, and the DM should roll again on the table to determine what kind of critical it is. Further results of 9 result in 'compound criticals', which further up the ante. Should you score 2-3 Critical rolls in a row, then whatever follows should be something truly impressive... or disasterous, as the Dice Gods may see fit.

As with other rolls, Attribute Tests can be modified. A Chapter with +1 to all attack rolls, for example, should be given this bonus if they are seeking to attack hostile systems nearby. Note that in this case a roll of 1 is not always a failure; only Critical Failures are auto-fails. Thus, a suitably well-armed, well-trained and well-deployed force can be sent into a scenario where it could well succeed even with a roll of 1!

Space Marine Legions have an Armour Value of 6 at present. This increases as Power Armour technology advances.

Legion Strengths at the start of Turn 9 are:

Eagle Eye - Dark Angels
Homeworld: Caliban.
Legion Size: 10 Chapters.
Legion Traits:
Librarius: +1 to one Army Group.
Intractible: +1 per Chapter in first round of combat. Cannot flee an engagement (All Chapters).

ShasOcho - Iron Warriors
Homeworld: Olympia.
Legion Size: 11 Chapters
Legion Traits:
Aquilifiers - +1 to Combat Resolution (all Chapters).
Veterans - +1 to Combat for 1st Chapter.
Iron Armour: +1 to boarding style combat (Max 3 Chapters).

Primarch Traits:
Veteran - +1 to Combat for Primarch.

Nobiliana - White Scars
Homeworld: Chogoris / Mundus Planus.
Legion Size: 13 Chapters
Legion Traits:
Librarius: +1 to one Army Group.
Iron Armour: +1 to boarding style combat (Max 3 Chapters).

Primarch Traits:
First Found - +1 Combat for all Chapters if Primarch is present.

Mkoll - Space Wolves
Homeworld: Fenris.
Legion Size: 17 Great Companies.
Legion Traits:
Veterans - +1 to Combat for 1st Great Company.
Leman Russ's Battletanks - One Army Group may be supported by Guard armour, granting +1 to combat.

Primarch Traits:
We Don
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Rarity Declis

Horus is going with Alpharius and Angron and whoever else it is on Roboute Guilliman's Forgeworld plan. He is also bringing the 2nd and 5th Chapters to fight with him.

Captain Abaddon will be leading the 1st and 7th Chapters to fight alongside Magnus and Leman Russ on their Crusade.

Captain Torgaddon will be leading the recruitment with the 3rd, and the 4th will also be securing the local system of Cthonia.

Thantos

As far as i remember, Guilliman and the 1st are on Earth overseeing deployment. He has also been sifting through reports and data and has found a couple of techology rich worlds, and dispatched his legions along with pursuading some of his brothers to go also (Alphurius, Angron, and Horus IIRC? Probably forgot someone :S) with the Alpha legion to try first to take the worlds undamaged first, if they fail then military might will have to do the job. 
If/When the worlds are couqured, the UM legions are to fortify the worlds and forge back trade routes to link them with the rest of the empire so they are linked up.

Then Guilliman will be happy as his blatent attempt to please his Father will have worked and the Emperor will praise his initative and tactical cunning, finding these gems for the Imperium and proving he can organise his brothers.... he hopes..  :o

The 6th company is coaxing military aid from the Mechanicus for this venture with the promise of STCs being found on these worlds.

10th is stepping up recruitment.

Think thats all, hope the RP thread can be recovered :( May be a good idea to PM the players to just let them know 2S is alive again and the RP is up?

Wargamer

Indeed. Hell, I might just re-open signups in case anyone wants to dive in and lay claim to a Legion that has yet to be claimed. :P

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

InsaneTD

Angron, First and Second are going on Roboute's mission. Third and Fourth are recruiting.

Alo, what's my homeworld called out of interest?

Wargamer

You know, I can't seem to find that information. :P It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, so I guess you can make up your own name for it.

InsaneTD

Crap. I tend to struggle with character names. A name for a world is gonna suck.

It's also been a while since I read anything about the heresy, were battlebarges around and how likely is my legion to have one? How about thunderhawks? Maybe I should go look all this up? :P

Thantos

Yea, WEs homeworld is a mystery, and they had Stormhawks IIRC in the PH days. Attatched pic that i had lying around for no reason whatso ever because im not going to make a model of it sometime  :-X

Yea neat idea wargy, there are still a few chapters, and perhaps to take over if any of the current players dont return :(

Im waiting eagerly at any rate  ;D

El ShasOcho

The iron warriors chapters 3-6 are currently on Olympia, training new forces and bolstering defenses. Chapters 1 and 2 are with Perturabo in the Terra system. Chapters 7-10 are crusading around Olympia.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

The Man They Call Jayne

I think it was Chapters 1-6 were out hunting to new resource worlds and forgeworlds in the making. Also to crush anything that got on our way, along with Abbadon and his men and several great companies of Space Wolves.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Russ has pointed out the foolishness of so many Legions putting emphasis on forgeworlds and has sent off 5 Great Companies to secure all worlds between Terra and Fenris to ensure that fuel, food and taxes are available for the Crusade's armies. Another 5 Great Companies will assist starting at Fenris and heading towards Terra. Russ himself is petitioning Imperial Army for battle tanks (I shouldn't have to say which ones :P ) 4 and a half Great Companies (including the First) are crusading alongside Magnus and his Thousand Sons. The final Chapter is on Fenris as a guard, and to arrange recruitment, while the half chapter has landed on Mars to negotiate the construction of a mighty fortification on Fenris, with a view to further defences once supplies are more readily available.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

silverfuge

Curze is happy that The Great Wolf has the troops and the bravery to protect the Imperium whilst it is still fragile. Having taken the the inspiration from the great wolf I will post companies 6-10 on my homeworld with the idea of settling and training new troops and companies 1-5 along with Curze will joing the great wolf if he will have me.

ooc I wasn't sure what other t5asks they were but getting a little sick of trying to rebuild and since I havent got any where might as well spread out. /ooc
Gm is God

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

More warriors are always welcome brother. Which of my task forces were you hoping to join? Those from Terra to Fenris, those from Fenris to Terra or those crusading alongside Magnus?
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

El ShasOcho

Perturabo and his first two chapter shall be joining with the Luna Wolves, Alpha Legions and others in conquering forge world.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

Vyper

I will get the Blood Angels back on track shortly, just about to be snowed under a ton of exams though.