News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines - WH:40k using Covert Operations rules (sign up/OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 18, 2016, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

After spending months saying I'm going to do this, I am finally going to make good on my promises. Now, who's up for some 40k RP shenanigans?

The premise
As I don't currently have a job, I have the free time to run a campaign. However, since I am actively searching and could get a job at any time, I want to keep this short and simple. Besides, I don't think there has ever been an RP on this forum that reached a satisfactory conclusion, and I want to be the exception. So I'm not gonna write some intricately woven plot that'll take months to get anywhere.

On the planet Ferin II, a war is raging between the Imperial Guard and the Tau Empire. The planetary governor, Garius Merryn had been involved with illicit trade with the Tau, the Imperium found out and the governor ceded the planet to the Tau in exchange for their protection and a position of authority under his new alien rulers. The Guard were dispatched to retake the world, and now the war is more or less hanging in the balance.

You are a soldier of the Imperium, your transport was shot down and crashed far behind enemy lines, with few survivors. Now you have to survive, make it back to your lines and cause as much havoc as possible on the way.

The rules - Character creation
We will be using standard 40k rules, with the Covert Operations expansion I wrote (forum thread here, full document is on deviantart here). Your character can be any non-vehicle model chosen from the Codex: Astra Militarum, but don't worry if you don't have the codex; just give me an idea of the character you want and I'll help you to choose your model and equipment.

There will be a 50 point limit for each character, and entries close when we have at least 200 points worth of characters. Please note that you can start with a weapon not normally available to your model, as long as you clear it with me first.

Rules don't fit your character? Don't worry, just pick a model with rules that fit and do it as a counts-as (so if you want a sneaky stealthy sort, you could use the ratling rules without actually being a ratling).

For convenience, here are pages 12 and 14 of the Covert Operations Rulebook:

Page 12
Most games of Covert Operations have two players; the Kill Team player and the Defender. There are different rules for each, but they both have some things in common.

Minor and Major rules
There are three types of rules for making a Kill Team or a defending force: unbreakable, minor and major. Unbreakable rules must be followed, as they make up the core rules of Kill Team.

Minor rules can (and indeed, should) be ignored if the player wishes, but there are consequences for doing so. They exist merely to provide a little more realism to both sides, as some things are unlikely to be seen in stealth missions. For example, Psykers are incredibly valuable individuals and are unlikely to be sent on a dangerous mission behind enemy lines.

Major rules exist to provide extra balance to the game. They can only be ignored if both players agree in advance, as ignoring them could lead to overly powerful situations. As an example, giving an eviscerator to an imperial guard storm trooper, while unlikely, could have an interesting and believable explanation and in any case would not be especially overpowered (as long as he paid the points for it). Giving him a vortex grenade on the other hand would be a horrible abuse of the rules and should never happen.

Points costs of individual models
If you are playing as the Kill Team, you are allowed to ignore minimum unit sizes. Some units do not give the points of individual models though, so what do you do then?

In many cases, it is possible to work out approximately what the points cost of a model will be. For example, if a 10 man unit of identical models costs 70 points, then a single model from that squad will probably cost 7 points. Upgrades for individual models are taken into account after this, so if you wanted to buy a gun with a cost of 5 points per model, the model would cost 12 points.

If the unit is made up of different models, things get a bit more complicated. As there are so many awkward units like this, we will just look at the most common: characters.

Let's say that 10 man squad mentioned above included a sergeant as standard. The sergeant's improved stat line would increase his points so let's take 1 point off of each of the other models and add it to him. This gives a cost of 6 points for each regular model, and 16 points for the sergeant. This looks fair.

If you're not still sure what the points cost should be, choose the most expensive option. That way your opponent can't complain, and the difference will probably only be a few points either way.
Page 14
Unbreakable rules of Kill Team:
•   200 points
•   No three or more wound models.
•   No more than 10 models.
•   No vehicles or artillery.
•   You may take models from different units (although this means breaking a minor rule), and you can ignore minimum unit sizes.

Minor rules: each player receives an extra narrative point for every two rules broken by their opponent. It is possible to break rules more than once.
•   No more than one model may have a weapon that fires three shots or more, or is a template weapon, or that is strength 8 or higher.
•   All models must be taken from the same unit entry.
•   No psychic powers.
•   No allies.
•   No bikes or jetbikes.

Major rules: each major rule broken has the same effect as breaking two minor rules. These rules may only be broken with your opponent's permission.
•   No more than 1 two wound models.
•   No more than two models with psychic powers.
•   No more than three bikes or jetbikes.
•   No more than three models may have a weapon that fires three shots or more, or that is strength 8 or higher.
•   Models may only have equipment normally available to them.
•   At least half your models must be individually equipped.

Kill team models all gain the Independent Character special rule if they don't already have it.

The Rules - Playing the Campaign
As mentioned above, we will be using standard 40k rules, along with the Covert Operations expansion for any battles or anything else that requires dice rolling. I do intend to include moments where you can do some proper RPing (like sneaking into a human town under Tau control, maybe you could rally the citizens and organise a resistance?), so this won't be 100% combat. Between battles, generally speaking I'll give you some idea of place you can go and things you can do and you can work it out from there. You wont get a map until you find one though; you have no idea where you landed, and will have to find that out for yourself.

So yeah, that's the basics. Any questions? Anyone interested?

Characters:

Hertius Von Drakoon (Narric)                                                  50 Points
3 narrative points
Spoiler

WS BS   S    T    W    I    A    Ld    Sv 
Engineseer
3+

Wargear:

• Power Armour
  • Laspistol
  • Power Axe
  • Servo-Arm
  • Frag & Krak Grenades
  • Digital Weapons

Special Rules:

• Awaken the Machine
  • Blessing of the Omnissiah

Sergeant Frank "Mad Bastard" McTavish (Wargamer)          42 Points
2 narrative points
Spoiler

Stormtrooper Sgt
4+

Wargear:

• Mars Pattern Carapace Armour
  • Mars Pattern Hellpistol
  • Mars Pattern Hellgun (mag fed)
  • Power Sword
  • Frag & Krak Grenades
  • Melta Bombs

Special Rules:

• Move Through Cover
  • Deep Strike

Sergeant Adam Wexler: (Jayne)                                            50 Points
3 narrative points
Spoiler

Harker
5+

Wargear:

• Flak Armour
  • Close Combat Weapon
  • Heavy Bolter
  • Frag & Krak Grenades

Special Rules:

• Relentless

Vyper's Bullgryn:                                                                     45 Points
3 narrative points
Spoiler

Bullgryn
4+

Wargear:

• Carapace Armour
  • Grenadier Gauntlet
  • Slabshield
  • Frag Grenades

Special Rules:

• Hammer of Wrath
  • Stubborn
  • Very Bulky

Corporal Maria Note                                                                24 Points
2 narrative points
Spoiler

Maria
4+

Wargear:

• Carapace Armour
  • Camo Cloak
  • Medi-Pack
  • Lasgun
  • Frag Grenades

Narric

Putting myself down as interested :3 Let me have a crack of my AM Codex ;) 50pt character cost limit seems reasonable as well :3

Hertius Von Drakoon (Engineseer)                              50Points
Spoiler

Engineseer
3+

Wargear:

• Power Armour
  • Laspistol
  • Power Axe
  • Servo-Arm
  • Frag & Krak Grenades
  • Digital Weapons

Special Rules:

• Awaken the Machine
  • Blessing of the Omnissiah

Hertius is a simple Engineseer of the Mechanicus. Cold, Calculating, and brutal to any who defile the blessed machines of the Emperium.

Wargamer

I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Soo tempted to try to find the rules for Mkoll again now. Fairly sure he was less than 50 points. :P
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Mabbz

Quote from: Wargamer on February 19, 2016, 02:23:55 AM
Can I bring a Stormtrooper?
Of course. Would you like any special equipment with that?

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on February 19, 2016, 02:40:26 AM
Soo tempted to try to find the rules for Mkoll again now. Fairly sure he was less than 50 points. :P
Was he an old special character, or just a character you made up for your army?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Mabbz on February 19, 2016, 03:05:50 AM
Old special character, 3rd Ed as I recall so may need some updating/neatening to align with current rules. :P Basically the Tanith First had a squad option and about half a dozen characters written up. Mkoll, Corbec, Rawne, Dorden, Milo and Larkin as I recall. With Gaunt leading them of course.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Mabbz

It occurred to me that with Guardsmen being generally quite cheap, many of the characters might not reach the 50 point limit and I may not get enough players to reach the 200pts. Therefore, I am adding in the ability to buy stat points. You may only buy an increase for  one stat, and it costs 10pts. Bear in mind that having multi wound models could give your opponents an advantage (see the Narrative points section of the CO rules)

Also, for your consideration, here are a few ideas for characters you could use:
- an astropath. You have telepathy powers
- a veteran with medi-pack. A healer could be a very good idea, especially for between battles
- a commissar. Try not to kill your friends, but on the plus side they have decent stats (for the guard) and the option to take plasma pistols and melee weapons
- a ministorum priest. 4+ invulnerable save, an optional plasma gun, and you can sing to make everyone nearby stronger
- a servitor. Heavy bolters, multi meltas and plasma cannons are available, although you will have to stay fairly close to Narric's techpriest
- an ogryn/bullgryn. I will lift the rule against 3 wound models for these guys only, because I think it'd be funny.
- wyrdvane psykers. Poor stats, but your choice of psychic discipline.

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on February 19, 2016, 03:27:01 AM
Quote from: Mabbz on February 19, 2016, 03:05:50 AM
Old special character, 3rd Ed as I recall so may need some updating/neatening to align with current rules. :P Basically the Tanith First had a squad option and about half a dozen characters written up. Mkoll, Corbec, Rawne, Dorden, Milo and Larkin as I recall. With Gaunt leading them of course.
Oh yeah, I remember those rules now I think of it. I'd prefer not to use them, all things considered. Too many balance issues what with the rules being costed for a much older version of 40k, and I don't really want people playing with existing special characters. Still, if you give me an idea of the kind of rules he had, I could probably work out something similar.

Wargamer

Not sure what the points are because all my codices are in another house right now, but I think he works out at about 35pts.

Sergeant Frank "Mad Bastard" McTavish
Spoiler

Stormtrooper Sgt
4+

Wargear:

• Mars Pattern Carapace Armour
  • Mars Pattern Hellpistol
  • Mars Pattern Hellgun (mag fed)
  • Power Sword
  • Frag & Krak Grenades
  • Melta Bombs

Special Rules:

• Infiltrate
  • Deep Strike

Description:
Sergeant McTavish (known as "Mad Bastard", or "That Guy" in more polite circles)is a member of the 1024th Imperial Stormtrooper Batallion "The Emperor's Finest". McTavish has received numerous commendations for his courage and resourcefulness behind enemy lines, and numerous disciplinary measures for his actions behind his own. McTavish was sent ahead of the main Imperial force on a suicide mission. Thus far, he has been entirely unsuccessful at this objective, but is doing quite well at upsetting the Tau.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Ok, so in the newest codex he would be a tempestor (a silly name that I won't be using again, don't worry). This means the following things for you:

1) He has a hot-shot lasgun (another stupid name that we won't be using), not a hellgun. The difference here is that he is Ap3.
2) He doesn't have infiltrate, but then again that would have been useless in Covert Ops, as will deepstrike.
3) He has Move Through Cover.
4) I work him out as 42 points. For anyone interested, that's 22 for the model, 15 for the power weapon and 5 for the melta bombs.

Vyper

I've missed all the old RP stuff, sign me up  8-)

Will have to have a think about characters though.

Also hello everyone, not been here in a while!

The Man They Call Jayne

If he still exists, can I be that guy with the metal arm who carried a heavy bolter? Gunnery Sargeant Harker wasn't he?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on February 19, 2016, 01:17:13 PM
If he still exists, can I be that guy with the metal arm who carried a heavy bolter? Gunnery Sargeant Harker wasn't he?

Hmm... the only reason I'm hesitating at all is because he is over the 50 point limit, but as he's only 5 points over and he's a good choice for this style of game, I'll say yes (I may impose some kind of penalty though). You can't use him as Harker though; you'll have to make up a new character to use his rules.

The Man They Call Jayne

Fair enough. You would have to choose what stats and rules he gets though, I don't have access to the newer books, or even the one he first showed up in. I can provide some fluff though.

Sergeant Adam Wexler:

If ever a man was born with Balls of Adamantine, it is Adam Wexler. He rapidly made a name for himself in the Imperial Guard as the guy who had no idea as to the concept of cover, or hiding, or concealment, and simply stood his ground in the hail of gunfire that should have left him a fine red mist.

After his bravado got the better of him once, he lost an arm, and had it replaced with a cybernetic upgrade. This had the positive side effect of being able to allow him to carry and operate a Heavy Bolter all by himself, and the negative side effect of making him think he was even more unkillable, which, sadly for many, seemed to be the case.

Now able to carry "Ol' Painful" while on the move, Wexler has a habit of simply holding down the trigger and advancing on enemy positions, trusting that luck will win out over judgement, common sense and any sense of military tactics.

His units Commissar has expressed deep approval of his actions.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

We'll have two sergeants one this transport if both Jayne and Wargamer have a Sergeant character. Unless the transport was on route to some sort of war council, or a strategy meeting of sorts?

Certainly is going to be interesting, whatever the initial story is going to be adjusted to :3

Mabbz

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on February 19, 2016, 05:27:53 PM
Fair enough. You would have to choose what stats and rules he gets though, I don't have access to the newer books, or even the one he first showed up in. I can provide some fluff though.

Sergeant Adam Wexler:

If ever a man was born with Balls of Adamantine, it is Adam Wexler. He rapidly made a name for himself in the Imperial Guard as the guy who had no idea as to the concept of cover, or hiding, or concealment, and simply stood his ground in the hail of gunfire that should have left him a fine red mist.

After his bravado got the better of him once, he lost an arm, and had it replaced with a cybernetic upgrade. This had the positive side effect of being able to allow him to carry and operate a Heavy Bolter all by himself, and the negative side effect of making him think he was even more unkillable, which, sadly for many, seemed to be the case.

Now able to carry "Ol' Painful" while on the move, Wexler has a habit of simply holding down the trigger and advancing on enemy positions, trusting that luck will win out over judgement, common sense and any sense of military tactics.

His units Commissar has expressed deep approval of his actions.
Here are your stats, for your viewing pleasure. I reduced your WS by 1 as a penalty.

Sergeant Adam Wexler (Harker)                              50 Points

Wexler
5+

Wargear:

• Flak Armour
  • Close Combat Weapon
  • Heavy Bolter
  • Frag & Krak Grenades

Special Rules:

• Relentless

Quote from: Narric on February 19, 2016, 05:48:59 PM
We'll have two sergeants one this transport if both Jayne and Wargamer have a Sergeant character. Unless the transport was on route to some sort of war council, or a strategy meeting of sorts?

Certainly is going to be interesting, whatever the initial story is going to be adjusted to :3
Actually, my thinking was that it was quite a large transport. As in, capable of carrying multiple platoons of infantry. You were brought down to the planet at the only spaceport under Imperial control, and then got shipped off to somewhere near the front lines. This could mean you're all from the same company/regiment, or that command split the regiments up to provide support where it's needed, or that there was a logistical mixup and you got on the wrong transport.