News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines - WH:40k using Covert Operations rules (sign up/OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 18, 2016, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Okay, so my overall goal is to try and force the Tau toward our fire team on the hill.

So step 1: rig the Skyray to explode (those melta bombs should help, right? :P)

Step 2: If I can get a charge on the drones behind the Enginseer, then go for it - pistol and blade to victory!

Step 2a: If I can't charge them due to distance, go for the Tau instead - the drones will hopefully die in the explosion.

Step 2b: If I can't get a charge because of disembarking penalties or whatever, move toward the Enginseer and rapid fire the drones.

Step 3: tell our fire team to start shooting - if no communication is available, then the gunshots and such should hopefully pass the message on.

Step 4: Use the following warcry: "Stormtroopers never die! We go to the Warp and regroup!"
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

My input would be to charge the squishier tau. I'm sure Hertius can handle two drones. Though its not their style, i wouldn't want Fire Warriors assaulting me whilst I'm still in combat.

Wargamer

True. Okay, revision time - go after the alert Tau farthest from the Catachan with Heavy Bolter rounds to share!

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Okie dokie, just waiting on Steve/Vyper. Also, sadly you can't assault directly from a vehicle in the latest version of 40k, unless it's open topped or has the assauly vehicle special rule (land raiders, for example). So you'll be shooting the Tau

Mabbz

Well, I still haven't heard from Vyper, so I am imposing a new rule. I will wait 3 days for actions, and then I'll move on regardless, taking over your characters as best as I can.

Also, I made the assumption that people would prefer to use Narrative points to re-roll saves, considering the alternative was die to them. This being the first battle, I'll restore all of them at the end (this may not be the case in all future battles).

Next set of actions please!

Wargamer

Okay, I'm fast running out of lives it seems, so I'm wondering if I can pull a narrative stunt.

Would it be possible to overwhelm the Shas'ui and hold him hostage? I'm guessing the Tau can understand Low Gothic, but failing that they'll understand a gun to the head.

Mabbz

Hmm... Off the top of my head, here's some rules for taking people hostage in the way you're saying. Let me know if there's anything I've overlooked, or if you think the rules need ammending in some way.

Overpowering Enemies:
To overpower an enemy in melee and take them hostage make your attacks as normal. However, instead of rolling to wound, both models roll a d6 and add their Strength characteristic. If your total is equal or lower than his victim's, you fail to overpower them and nothing happens (you may try again for every successful hit). If his total is higher, then the hostage is disarmed and held.

Models that are holding enemies receive a 3+ save against all shooting attacks, with any passes being transferred to the held model (you don't get a save against blast and template hits, instead they simply hit both models). In addition, enemies must usually pass a leadership test at -2 to fire at a model holding an ally (there are some exceptions to this; no Tau will shoot an Ethereal, Commissars auto-pass, etc.). The Shot-Of-A-Lifetime heroic action ignores the save, but not the leadership test (if the test is failed, the Narrative Points are not spent)

If a model with a hostage is assaulted, they immediately drop the hostage. The hostage may not attack in that turn and is hit automatically, but otherwise behaves as normal from that point on. If the hostage-taker is killed by shooting, the hostage is dropped, but may not make any more actions that turn.

Roleplaying Actions
Non-Combat actions like demanding a surrender will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I'll roll dice to determine the outcome, sometimes I'll just decide how it goes. I won't tell you your chances in advance, but these actions won't usually cost you anything either (Talking Is A Free Action, after all).

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Wargamer

So what do we think? Do we try to wipe them or shall I go for something balls-out bonkers and try to take a hostage? :P

The alternative would rely on me being in range of a charge on the far four. Hopefully, between pistol dakka and the charge I can mop them up.

Narric

I'm held up with a frisbee for a turn, so won't be able to help much.

If you tried to charge towards the Shas'ui, you're going to have have pulse fire in your back, and use up all your NPs. might be a better idea to take out the grunts before going for the leader.

If we can get the ogryn t charge the tau from behind (not that direction means much :P) then that might free McTavish to get the leader.

The Man They Call Jayne

Well I am assuming we all have Vox beads, so you can tell me not to just gun everything down that looks like a threat. Otherwise that is what I am going to do.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Wargamer

Well first things first - am I in charge range of the guys on the far side of the wreck?

Mabbz

The nearest squad is 13" away, so that's doable, albeit quite a long charge. Especially since you'll be running through a crater, which will slow you down. In other words, you'll need to roll a 9 on your charge distance.

Wargamer

Long odds and I'll be out to dry if it fails. I think I need to try and overpower the Shas'ui, if only so I don't get shot!