News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1st 6th edition game with daemons!

Started by Chicop76, August 07, 2012, 09:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

333 Fateweaver
100 Masque
92 4 flamers
115 5 flamers
115 5 flamers
95 5 horrors/ bolt
100 4 horrors/ changeling/ bolt
225 9 screamers
160 Tzeentch prince, bolt/ gaze
160 Tzeencth prince, bolt / gaze

vs

nids-1.5K-6th (1500pts)
1500pt Tyranids

Selections:

* HQ (285pts)

* Hive Tyrant (285pts)
        (Psyker, Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature)
        Bonded Exoskeleton, Hive Commander, Leech Essence, Paroxysm, 2x Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings

* Elites (405pts)

* The Doom of Malan'tai (130pts)
        (Absorb Life, Fearless, Instinctive Behaviour - Feed, Psychic Strength, Psyker, Shadow in the Warp, Spirit Leach, Warp Field)
        Cataclysm, Claws and Teeth, Reinforced Chitin
        * Mycetic Spore
            (Deep Strike, Fearless, Immobile Pod, Limited Sentience, Transport Spore)
            Hardened Carapace, Lash Whip, Ripper Tentacles

* Ymgarl Genestealer Brood (115pts)
        * 5x Ymgarl Genestealer
            (Alter Form, Brood Telepathy, Dormant, Fleet, Move Through Cover)
            5x Hardened Carapace, 5x Rending Claws

* Zoanthrope Brood (160pts)
        * Mycetic Spore
            (Deep Strike, Fearless, Immobile Pod, Limited Sentience, Transport Spore)
            Hardened Carapace, Lash Whip, Ripper Tentacles
        * 2x Zoanthrope
            (Psyker, Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature, Warp Field)
            2x Claws and Teeth, 2x Reinforced Chitin, 2x Warp Blast, 2x Warp Lance

* Troops (410pts)

* Genestealer Brood (147pts)
        * Broodlord
            (Brood Telepathy, Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Psyker)
            Aura of Despair, Hardened Carapace, Hypnotic Gaze, Implant Attack, Rending Claws, Scything Talons
        * 5x Genestealer
            (Brood Telepathy, Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover)
            5x Reinforced Chitin, 5x Rending Claws

* Genestealer Brood (153pts)
        * 9x Genestealer
            (Brood Telepathy, Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover)
            9x Reinforced Chitin, 9x Rending Claws, 9x Toxin Sacs

* Tyranid Warrior Brood (110pts)
        * 2x Tyranid Warrior
            (Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature)
            2x Deathspitter, 2x Hardened Carapace, 2x Scything Talons
        * Tyranid Warrior with heavy weapon
            (Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature)
            Barbed Strangler, Hardened Carapace, Scything Talons

* Fast Attack (200pts)

* Ravener Brood (200pts)
        * 5x Ravener
            (Acute Senses, Deep Strike, Instinctive Behaviour - Feed, Move Through Cover)
            5x Rending Claws, 5x Spinefist

* Heavy Support (200pts)

* Trygon (200pts)
        (Deep Strike, Fearless, Fleet, Subterranean Assault)
        Bio-electric Pulse, Bonded Exoskeleton, Scything Talons (two sets)

Created with BattleScribe

Above is the two armies which clashed together today for glorious combat. I would had done a battle report, but being my first game I was more trying to figure out how to play 6th and less focused on trying to record the game. I will go over a few units and some observations I made during the game.

First I want to say nids are a bit better than i was led to believe. With the heavy amount of psykers in the list the army can take advatage of the new powers. having so many psykers meant waiting forever for him to roll for his powers. I suggest making Character cards and power cards. If you have like 8 models with different non codex powers it is hard to keep track of it. The most annoying powers in the game was at one point I had to deal with a str 9 t 9 eternal warrior flyrant, and the +5 invul save that bounces back and kill my own guys was messed up as well.

The MVP unit for my side hands down was the Flamers. Dropping the point cost to where I can field 5 for 10 points more than my old 3 man squad is unbelievable. These guys raped his genestealers units. The problem was I would come in and either wipe his squads or come real close, if I didn't wipe the squad it will die out to overwatch firepower where I would get 10 hit with my 5 man squad which would wipe out the remaining models. Another issue was if he didn't charge the flamers i would flame him again. My flamers wiped out 3 genestealer units, killed a trygon, killed his warriors, downed his tyrant to one wound( could had killed it if I moved them within flame range instead of warpfiring). The flamers easily made up their points several times over. I was worried about being less durable, but i noticed things like having to put wounds on the closet models help keep the squad alive. Also keeping close to the Fateweaver was very nice and made them much durable than the 1 wound flamers of old.

My second best units was fateweaver and the screamers. fateweaver in swooping mode is helpful and helps keep wounds off him, but rolloing a 6 to hit with mass fire is not hard. I down his tyrant several times thanks to a ton of warpfire shots, I couldn't hurt the tyrant, but once downed it can take flame wounds and when it falls it takes damage as well. I would reconmend swooping the Fateweaver as much as possible, but in a way it was hurting the flyrant cause he was taking wounds from shots that wouldn't really normally harm him. The screamers did well, but was tied up by ravengers. the problem I had was my flamers was moping up too well. Leaving my screamers to fly over and around the board at 36". The nid player kept half his army in reserves which had my screamers running in circles. The squad killed the ravengers in two turns with them being assaulted by the Ravengers. Keep in mind though Fateweaver was nearby giving them re roll love.

The model that gave me the most trouble was the flyrant. At turn 3 his pods with Zonathorpes and Doom did some damage. The problem I noticed was the nid player lacked heavy shooting while that is all I had. Overwatch on flamers was another reason why I won. If he had some shooting with bite it would had been a much closer game.

The score was 5-0 with me having a good chunk of my army in his deployment zone, the fact my flamers got first blood, and my horrors sitting on his objective. I could had 8 points, but I kept my princes and a group of flamers on guard duty with me pushing his zone really hard.

In the end I lost 3 horrors, 3 screamers, 2 flamers, and my Masque( sucicide against trygon to weaken him for my flamers). He lost 20 stealers, 3 warriors, 5 ravengers, Trygon, and 3 wounds on Tyrant. I would say overwatch on flamers again did a lot of damage.

Summing up this game I think a huge group of flamers may be worth playing with. A group of 5 seems so far to be a really good size. A groud of 9 at 200 points wouldn't be bad either. On average that is 9 auto overwatch hits on top of your regular flame hits. Due to overwatch i wouldn't be surprised if i see 3 nine man squads in an army. :facepalm001:

BigToof

Hi Chicop,
I hope you don't mind me moving this to the BatRep board, as I consider it to be quite good, and with lots of insights as to how Daemons play.
I got to play versus Daemons recently, and was quite surprised with how they did, especially the new Tzeench units.
Do you normally play Tzeench heavy, or was it just this list?

In any case, great writeup, and if you want to flesh it out more, I'd gladly read it.

Best,
-BT

(P.S.  I'm gonna karma this one, as it's a good 6th rep, and I wanna see more! :) )
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on August 08, 2012, 03:41:04 PM
Hi Chicop,
I hope you don't mind me moving this to the BatRep board, as I consider it to be quite good, and with lots of insights as to how Daemons play.
I got to play versus Daemons recently, and was quite surprised with how they did, especially the new Tzeench units.
Do you normally play Tzeench heavy, or was it just this list?

In any case, great writeup, and if you want to flesh it out more, I'd gladly read it.

Best,
-BT

(P.S.  I'm gonna karma this one, as it's a good 6th rep, and I wanna see more! :) )

Cool Beans! I usually play with 75% Tzeentch with 25% everything else. The power weapon nerf on Khorne helped me to decide to take screamers to replace my letters and Juggernaughts. Due to overwatch I decided to stray away from my normal slaanesh options. i never really messed with Nurgle before, but I might add them now since in a way feel no pain is better now than in last edition.

I played another game against CSM which I added a Thirster dropped my princes and Masque, flushed out my Flamer squads to 5 man units, and added another squad of horrors.

This game went rather bad for the CSM. We played 1500 with me wiping him off the board in turn 3,( to be honest I could had done it in turn 2, but wanted his terminators and HQ to come in and do something. In the entire game I lost 1 screamer. Power to Fateweaver. My win came from my flamers.

In turn one he won deployment and let me go second. I asked if he was familiar with Daemons and he showed me his Tzeentch Daemon/ CSM list which had me thinking no need to hold back if he is familiar with my units. I did brief him I was using the update and mention the changes on the flamers and screamers. It came from him asking me why I was taking 9 screamers. Anyway he ran 3 squads of 10 Khorne Berserkers behind two Vindicators with 2 Obliterators with 6 terminators with lord in reserves coming in deep strike. He moved his units up towards the first objective. When my turn came I deep striked all 3 flamer squads, Fate Weaver, and my 9 man screamer squad.

When my flamers touched down I had decent deep striking which when I did scatered I was still near a target, or I really didn't scatter much. The result was what I call the triangle of death.

1. Against flamers do not bunch up your squads. 2" spacing would be a good thing.
2. Do not place your units close together. If I flame one unit and can hit two other units while doing so it is to close together.
3. Flamers ignore cover saves as well as armour saves. It is important to remeber the ignore cover part.

With the right placement arragement I was able to flame with all 5 in one squad and 4 from the othe other two. The result was good bye 30 berserkers and 2 wreaked Vindicators. I failed to wound the Oblits with my Fateweaver and I turbo boosted my screamers toward the oblits 24" puting them rather close to them also I made sure they was within 6" of my Fateweaver.

When turn 2 popped up he decided to dual plasma shot my screamers. By doing so he had 14 hits and wounded 12 of them. Thanks to turbo boosting they had a +4 save which was re rollable with Fateweaver nearby. I was able to shrug of all but 2 wounds which caused me to lose a screamer. I decided not to shot and went strait to the assault. The oblits was postioned in a way which only 4 of my guys could hit them. I actually got a wound from hammer of wrath and was able to put two more wounds which left an oblit with a single wound left. I failed to take anywounds thanks to a re rollable +5 invul.

Turn 3 I killed the terms with 5 flamer shots and with killed the HQ with bolt of tzeentch.

The game went rather fast. The only slow part was my first deep strike and laying down 13 flame templates. this was my second time running such a large flamer squad. If left a lone the following turn they can be quite deadly and eraze almost any unit of the map. In the last edition I need to have bolt of tzeentch to help deal with vehicles, but Flamers are so good now I really do not need the extra bolt shooting. I still think i need a bit more in hth to help with close combat. I am also not used to flamers being more durable and seriously wiping out units now I am taking more. With both games Flamers and Screamers did so much it's like everyone else seems to be just there. My Bloodthirster didn't get to do anything since my units was doing too good. I use to think flamers was a little close to being op, now they are very broken. Screamers on the other hand seems to be good, but not really over bearing for me so far.

Talking about screamers I wanted to mention a tactic i just thought about with them.

1. You come in deep strike and turbo boost over a unit making sure you stop 1" away from said unit. You now get vectored hits from flying over unit. If possible make sure fateweaver is within 6".

2. With a re rollable 4+ invulnerable they would be hard to kill. Honestly if the enemy is targeting this unit over my Flamers happy day. If they are ignored and not charged than there is more fun to follow.

3. You fly over unit again with your 12" movement for vector strikes, or another unit.

4. After your fly over unit you go through with your assault which you get hammer of wraith on top of your 4 charge attacks.

I mention said tactic above because i was worried about dealing with the likes of orcs, gaunts, 50 man guard squads, etc. With hammer alone with your str 5 attacks you laying down 45 attacks in a 9 man squad ignoring your fly over hits or the fact you would probably flame said unit first with your flamers.

I will record my next game hopefully and do a full report. These last two games was rather one sided. I have yet to try to deal with a flying vehicle for one.

I do wonder if i vector strike would armour bane kick off. If so I might run more screamers over my Bloodthirster. I kinda might lean towards a mono tzeentch list this edition. I am debating taking more flying monsters. I am playing around with a flying Tzeentch prince with breath of chaos, and daemonic gaze with Master of Sorcery. That way I can fly over and rake units and than flame and gaxe them afterwards. The Nurgle Prince is much cheaper though unless I take breath of chaos on him.

I might also try a Nurgle/ Tzeentch force with some plague beares as troops. Personally i do not like the model or what it does, so I may never use it. I also might remove bolt on my horrors since it seems like I really do not need it as much as I use to with me taking more flamers and adding screamers.

I also played with the thought of running CSM and decided no. I need to run enough CSM to ensure I can't get wiped out 1st turn. Also it messes with the amount of deepstriking daemons coming in from reserves. I might try a daemon army with guard allies. 

??? Is spell check working ???