News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Harlequins Are HERE

Started by BigToof, January 28, 2015, 02:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charistoph

Quote from: Irisado on February 09, 2015, 08:33:48 PM
Quote from: Charistoph on February 08, 2015, 09:01:08 AM
They can still be an HQ, but just not an IC.

Are we talking from a rules perspective or a background perspective?  I was referring to the narrative, so we may be talking at cross purposes here.

Considering the game designers try to match a bit of narrative in to the rules, it could easily be both.  And just because one is not the most charismatic person, one can lead by example.  Of course, the Solitaire could just as easily fit the same area/role as an Assassin.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Irisado

The background for the Solitaire in all previous versions of the army list or narrative isn't compatible with the Solitaire being a commander.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

On the GW website, the solitaire is very much in the Elites slot, and I think some of the White Dwarf photos have shown the Soltaire as an elites choice in the army list.

My only reference point is the old 2nd ed CA army list, which puts the solitaire as an elites choice then also.

Strangely, it seems the Shadowseer has taken a downgrade, going from a HQ choice to an Elite.

I do wonder if we shall be seeing a return of the "Great Harlequin," as the Harlies default HQ choice. Or maybe we'll get a "Master Shadowseer." HQ choice which may also serve as a replacement/alternate model for the solitaire as well.

Irisado

The Solitaire being elite makes sense, so I'm happy with that :).

If GW really wanted to take a trip back to the past, they could always bring back an HQ like the High Avatar or something like that.  I doubt that they will though.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Charistoph

Harlequin Detachment's interesting. 

A lot of Troops, even more Elites available, little in the way of Heavy Support, and no HQs.

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Heaviest option the Harlies had in the days of yore seems to have been the humble Venom. I'd hardly call it a Heavy Option compared to its Dark Eldar offsprings, though I'm sure there is space for a new Harly heavy to surface :)

salamut2202

The mask of -2Ld can be combined with the armour of misery or the terrify psychic power - so much ouch. I mean combines with psychic shriek......I don't want to be taking Ld 3 tests with those psychic powers around.

BigToof

the Jester is sort of hilarious.  If you have him and kill a model you force a morale check at -2 and he gets to control which way your opponent's units fall back.  I.e.  you can force them off the board or have them run towards you in fear.  That makes assault much more valuable and also provides board control.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Irisado

Ideas like that are not new, they're adaptations of old Harlequin rules from the Rogue Trader and second edition rules ;).

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on February 14, 2015, 10:39:25 PM
Heaviest option the Harlies had in the days of yore seems to have been the humble Venom. I'd hardly call it a Heavy Option compared to its Dark Eldar offsprings, though I'm sure there is space for a new Harly heavy to surface :)

True, but for now, it's just a Venom with a heavier gun.