News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The War Saga: Prelude (RP Thread)

Started by Waaaghpower, May 08, 2015, 02:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Three hours to midnight, and the skies were angry. Thunder was raging outside, echoing through the city of Dunwall, kicking up waves and keeping the people shuttered in their homes as they waited for the weather to clear.

Inside the pub, McAnally's, things were far more calm. It was in a stone cellar, preventing any draft, and the atmosphere was one of cool, calm, quiet. Aside from the bartender, a tall man who could have been any age between thirty and fifty, the bar only had one occupant, a wiry man in black robes, sitting against the back wall with a table in front of him, four extra chairs set out with five mugs of room temperature brown ale set out. His age was hard to guess, if only because his face was covered in a patina of bruising, healed some by time but still needing a while longer before they'd be gone.

David sipped from his mug, waiting for the others to show up. The meeting time was only for them to show that evening, and with the weather he expected delays, but it was starting to get late. He was gazing into the bottom of his mug and beginning to contemplate asking the bartender for another drink when the bell above the door rang. Briefly exposing the room to the weather outside, there was a rush of wind as a figure hurried in, closing it behind them.

Three to go, David thought, looking to see who it was.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

The Man They Call Jayne

Franklin entered the room, his suit covered by a rich purple hooded cloak. His Electrum staff in one hand he looked around the room as though seeking a target. Seeing the man in black and the arrangement of chairs, he moved to sit down opposite him.

"I know who you are. You know who I am. You have successfully engaged my services. What is it that you need?"

There was no rudeness in his voice, just a simple, business like tone of a man who had a job to do.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

David lifted his glass, gesturing to the mug sitting in front of Franklin's own person. "Sit. Have a drink. It's very good." He set his own mug down, leaning back slightly. "All in good time."

The Man They Call Jayne

Franklin looked down at the drink and mechanically picked up the vessel and drank from it. He found it to be not unpleasant. Still, his boss wanted him to drink. So drink he would.

Mabbz

Jane was the next to arrive, wearing her armour to protect her from the weather. Rather than heading immediately to the table with the others, she first went over to the bar and ordered a glass of water. after removing the armour, she finally took a seat at the table. "I presume you're the ones who asked to meet me?"

Waaaghpower

David nodded, glancing down at his glass again, frowning, before using it to gesture between the two, to the early arrival and the newcomer respectively, and then in reverse. "Franklin, Jane. Jane, Franklin. You're having water, then?"

As she pulled out her chair to sit down, Jane noticed a few specks of white dust which had fallen onto the seat.

Mabbz

Ignoring the dust (such things being common in her workshop) Jane sat down. "It's pretty much all I drink. No particular reason, just a habit I got into years ago. Now, I don't believe you introduced yourself?"

Narric

The door opened agan, a large warhammer with cogs and cables jutting out and snaking around it appeared first. Then came through a man with a mechanical exoskeleton on the arm that held the warhammer. He had a large device strapped to his back, covered by a leather sheet. On his left arm was a buckler, straped slightly up the arm to allow his and motion and control.

He quickly spotted the group, and made his way toward them.
"Good evening everyone." Korus tipped the front of his hood with his left hand before pulling it back to show his face. He had jet black hair, and a well groomed goatee and moustache on his face. His eyes spoke of years of happiness, but seemed duller than what they used to be. He had a wide smile beaming to the entire group.

As he made level with the table, he fiddled with some connections on the wrist of his right hand, turned the warhamer on its head and setr it down against the table, beore pulling himself a chair.

"Allow me to introduce myself" Korus turn to the other two of the group. "I am Korus Hensen, a pleasure to be working with some well equipped individuals."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"What's all this about then?" asked Simo as he entered the room. The others turned in surprise, they hadn't heard the door.

"Came in the back way" Simo pointed out in response to the puzzled looks. He grabbed a tankard and drank from it, putting his feet up on the table as he did so. then paused for a moment, took a quick headcount, noted that the seats were all full "Waste not, want not" he shrugged and reached for the spare tankard too.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

David's hand shot out like an arrow to block Simo from taking Jane's tankard, sliding the mug away and towards his own person. "Don't drink too much," he warned. "We may need to travel quick and far tonight."

Then, left hand resting on the table for support, he pushed himself to his feet. Nodding slightly over to the bartender, who walked to the door and turned the lock, David then turned back and gestured to the group as a whole with Jane's mug of ale before taking a short drink from it. "All of you, you've been gathered here today for a reason. The situation in the East, as it were, is growing troublesome to the point of being unbearable. War is brewing, even in the works, but we cannot compete with the better armed and armored men of the West while they sit in their fortresses and watch our petty Lordships squabble over scraps. That's why we need the five of us - Franklin Hall, Jane Edgely, Korus Hensen, Simo Barton," he gave a small directional movement of the mug as he said each name to identify the four of them, before taking another drink by way of gesturing to himself. "David Undertow. It's a pleasure to meet you all."

The Man They Call Jayne

Franklin gave little more than a curt nod.

So, killing warlords and their men. A job he had been tasked with many many times. Perhaps he would even be seeing some former employers. Oh well. This was the job now, but he might have some useful information about fortress layouts and maybe even be able to talk his way in past the guards.

Mabbz

"So assassination, sabotage and other covert missions?" Jane considered this. "Is this one specific mission, or a variety of smaller ones?"

Waaaghpower

"Four," David said, nodding. "Four missions. Well... Five, but four. And we won't be needing to kill anyone if we are very, very lucky. We're taking down fortresses. Korus, Jane, your experience with Spirit technology makes you both invaluable, not to mention your combat prowess. As for you to..." He turned to Franklin and Simo. "Three of us should do the job. You'll both be paired up with one of our non-sorcerer friends, I'll be working alone. Take your pick either way."

The Man They Call Jayne

"You know what I do David. You know how I work. I do not have time to babysit someone. Have any of you ever worked with a Graviton Sorcerer before? Do you understand the risks and the dangers?"

Waaaghpower

David shook his head, taking a moment before he said, "Do you think I hired you to babysit? I assure you, nobody here needs a caretaker to protect them any more than you do. And besides..." He set down his mug, leaning across the table a bit to put himself close to Franklin. "It's what you're being paid to do. Are you backing out on my already?"