News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The King's Court [Rules / Signup]

Started by Wargamer, August 06, 2013, 03:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Okay, big posts ahead! Let's spoilerify it! :P

The current map of the world. I'll update as we go!

Factions

Atlia: Atlia is the nation the players serve. It is divided into four provinces; Nothria, Dascia, Gallica and Frankia. The capital city, Atlas, lies in Frankia.

Atlia inherited the heartlands of the ancient Roma Empire, and once was far grander than its current borders show. However, land has been lost - West Frankia and Suttria are now brigand-infested lands, warred over by men loyal only to themselves. The Vinri and Visi tribes have also claimed land that was once Atlian.

Vinland: In times gone by, the people of the Vinland province were known as the Nori; feared warriors who pillaged and burned their way across the map. Eventually, civilized men drove them back to the cold north (though Nothrians are often quite proud of their Nori heritage). The Vinri are not barbarians, but they are still proud warriors. Though few in number, their courage and ferocity make them fine soldiers, and in defense their greatest ally is the land itself - more than once southern army has been broken by winter snow.

The Vinri worship animal spirits and are seen as backward by most, but if united they could potentially surge south and reshape the map forever.

Visland: The Visi emerged at the fall of Roma as Atlia did. Unlike Atlia, they did not prosper. They lost much of their land to the Goths, and have very much been dragged into the modern world unwillingly. They are allies of Atlia, after a fashion; they are simply too weak to be enemies of the Kingdom.

Gothland: Gothland is a realm in ascendance. As Atlia lost ground over the past forty years, Gothland gained new territory. Smaller nations were absorbed, the wildlands tamed, and now it is a nation to rival Atlia. Perhaps, even, to surpass it.

Naturally, rivalry between the two nations is fierce and unending. There can be no peace between them; only a ceasefire as both sides lick their wounds and raise new armies.

To date, there has been no conflict between the two for the past three years...

Roma: A ruined empire, Roma is technically still a nation, but it lives in the shadow of its successors. It's people cling to the past and dream of rebuilding their former empire. None of its neighbours believe this will ever happen. Roma's military is large, but antiquated. Their generals are uninspired men of poor breeding; they are not seen as a threat by the King or his court.

Grecia: A nation of traders, Grecia dominates the Southern Sea and their merchants bring all manner of bizarre and wondrous things from lands beyond the known world. They are somewhat threatened by the Goth, but have wealth enough to maintain vast armies of Free Company to protect their holdings.

Some fear that Grecia may ultimately prove a dangerous foe and should be crushed swiftly. Others see the nation as a valuable ally and a source of wealth. Opinions are divided, and as such little is accomplished either way.

Celtland: A backward, savage place, Celtland's savagery and barbarism are matched only by the inexplicable failure of every attempt made to conquer it. In the past three hundred years no less than seven nations, large and small, have tried and failed to break the Celts. The heads of slain generals still stare back across at the mainland...

Wildlands: Much of the world defies categorization. It is said the Known World contains a hundred nations, from grand Atlia to lands as tiny as a single city. They are collectively known as the Wildlands, or "Brigundia", as many are little better than bandit camps who've declared themselves nations.

Despite the often dismissive attitude toward the Wildlands, individual territories can be truly formidable, and those ignorant of the complex web of alliances within this territory can find themselves at war with a formidable force indeed.

Mechanics

Characters are generated using the following stats:

Combat: How good you are in one-on-one fighting. This includes combat sports like jousting.
Endurance: How tough you are. Not only makes you harder to kill in battle, but harder to kill through sickness, poisoning and general misfortune.
Wounds: A crude metric, but it works. When you hit 0 wounds you risk death or permanent injury. Wounds heal over time. Injuries... might not. Be careful.

Leadership: How well you lead your people in civil matters - keeping law, organising your kingdoms, etc. This is a non-combat skill.
Command: How well you lead people on the field of battle. You can (and probably will) have high Command but low Leadership, and vice versa.
Diplomacy: How well you can convince other powers to follow your cause.

In addition, you have two other stats. These are not so readily defined and so are kept distinct.

Piety: This is your reputation with the current Pope.

When called upon to make a test on a stat, you simply roll the appropriate number of dice (usually 2d6, but may be higher or lower) and apply any modifiers. If your stat score is equal or less than your dice roll you've succeeded.

For opposed rolls (ie: player A attacking player B) both players roll 2d6 and add their appropriate stat. The winner is the player with the highest result.

Classes

When generating your character you may choose to re-roll any single stat. If it is your first character, you may also choose to swap a single stat for its average value (D6 becomes 4, 2D6 becomes 7, 3D6 becomes 10, etc). This may be done before, after or instead of your re-roll.

Knight of the Realm:
You are a feudal ruler in charge of a small domain. As well as providing men at arms upon command, you are expected to fight at the behest of the King when the order is given.
Combat: 3D6 discard lowest roll, then add +1.
Endurance: 3D6 discard lowest roll, then add +1.
Wounds: 2D6+1.

Leadership: 2D6 pick highest.
Command: 2D6.
Diplomacy: 2D6 pick highest.

Domain: You control a single territory, rolled for randomly.
Forces: You command a single Tier 1 regiment.

Hereditary Baron:
You were born and raised in a position of power, groomed for rule from an early age. Your family is of considerable importance to the nation, and your rivals know it.
Combat: 2D6.
Endurance: 3D6 discard lowest roll.

Leadership: 2D6.
Command: 2D6.
Diplomacy: 2D6 pick highest, then add +1

Domain: You control a single territory, rolled for randomly.
Forces: You command a Tier 1 regiment.

Ordered Knight:
You have given your entire life to the Order. You exist solely to serve their goals. You serve at court as a representative of the Order.
Combat: 3D6 discard lowest roll, then add +2.
Endurance: 3D6 discard lowest roll, then add +2.
Wounds: 2D6+2.

Leadership: D6
Command: 2D6+1.

Domain: Your Order controls a Keep.
Forces: Your Order commands a unit of Foot Knights or Mounted Knights.

Captain of the Free Companies:
War is a good way to make money, and some men become so good at it that they can command power and influence beyond their birth. Sell-swords represent such people; common born warriors turned military commanders, or exiled, dishonoured Knights who have found a new calling in life. Your presence at Court reflects the considerable power and influence your particular Free Company has amassed.
Combat: 2D6.
Endurance: 3D6 discard lowest roll.

Leadership: D6.
Command: 2D6+1

Domain: You control no territory.
Forces: You command a single Tier 2 regiment.

Priest:
No nation can stand against the will of God. Or the Gods, depending on which priest you ask. Either way, your purpose here is to provide spiritual guidance, and safeguard the souls of your people. And, perhaps, to remind them the church needs a new roof...
Combat: D6.
Endurance: D6.
Wounds: 2D6-1.

Command: D6.
Diplomacy: 2D6+2.

Domain: Your Church controls a single territory, rolled for randomly.
Forces: Your Church has no forces.

Woman At Court:
Women at court are there to be married off, or perhaps to offer advice to their husband. The laws forbid women from inheriting land or title - their power is tied, inexorably, to that of their father or husband; whichever male happens to have ownership of them. Perhaps that will change in time, if the right men can be convinced...
Combat: D6.
Endurance: D6.
Wounds: 2D6-1.

Command: D6.
Diplomacy: 2D6.

Domain: You have no land of your own.
Forces: You have no forces of your own.

Attributes

Players may roll three times on the following table. With each roll you may choose to either roll a new ability, or roll to replace and old one. Duplicates stack.

Successor characters roll once on this table.

2 - Old Wound: War, sickness or cruel misfortune dealt you a terrible blow at a young age. Though you have ignored it before, it has worsened of late. You have a Crippling Injury.
3 – Plague Victim: For six months you lay in bed and vomited blood. That leaves a mark. You start with -2 Wounds.
4 – Battle Scarred: You have seen battle, and you have bore its terrible touch. +1 Combat, -1 Wound.
5 – Racist: Hating foreigners is not only common, but sometimes a vital part of being popular! +1 Diplomacy with locals, -2 Diplomacy with foreigners.
6 – Man of the People: Through genuine goodness or talented lies, you have convinced the common man to follow you. +1 Leadership.
7 - Experienced: You have been around. Combat characters gain +1 Combat; non-combatants gain +1 Diplomacy.
8 - Silver tongue: A sharp tongue is more dangerous than any blade. -1 Combat, +1 Leadership, +1 Diplomacy.
9 - Bloody Minded: There is no problem that cannot be solved with an axe. +1 Combat, +1 Endurance, -1 Leadership, -1 Diplomacy.
10 – Leader of Men: Where you go, others follow. +1 Leadership, +1 Command, +1 Diplomacy.
11 – Hard Worker: You know what you want, and you're willing to work for it. +1 to any skill you choose.
12 - Bizarre Oddity: Wait, what? The result of this roll is at the mercy of the DM – Gods help you!

Domain Generation

To generate your starting domain, roll 2D6 and consult the following:

2 - Swampland: Cold, stagnant waters make growing crops hard, and disease is rife. You suffer an increased chance of famine and plague.
3 - Wasteland: Your homeland is a barren, inhospitable place. You suffer an increased chance of famine.
4 - Wilderness: Dense forests or other uncharted places are a perfect place for bandits. Your territory is at increased risk of attack and unrest.
5 - Warzone: Constant strife has plagued your lands, but the upside is a steady flow of fighting men. You suffer an increased chance of famine and plague.
Your personal regiment is one tier higher than normal. If you have no personal regiment, you gain a single regiment of Light Infantry or Light Archers.
6 - Plains: Rolling lands of reasonable fertility and prosperity. You gain no bonuses or penalties.
7 - Hills: Poor for growing crops, the undulating hills are the home to goats and hardy cattle. Your lands give you bonuses when defending them.
8 - Farmlands: Your land is rich and fertile; perfect for crops or cattle. Your lands are resistant to famine, and may generate trade goods (see Trade Hub).
9 - Fishery: Be it the ocean or a major river, the waters of your land teem with life. Your lands are resistant to famine, and may generate trade goods.
10 - Trade Hub: Your major settlement lies at a confluence of major trade roads, and the coffers are always full. You generate Trade Goods – these give bonuses to leadership and diplomacy when dealing with people who want / need your goods.
11 - Port: Be it the ocean or a major river, your port ensures trade and commerce flows. Your port generates Trade Goods (see Trade Hub).
12 - Keep: Your lands are home to an impressive fortification, and you have raised standing armies to match. Your lands give you bonuses when defending them.
Your personal regiment is one tier higher than normal. If you have no personal regiment, you gain a single Tier 1 regiment.

When first creating your character, you may roll twice on the table and pick the result you want to use.

Regiments

The exact details of each regiment are left up to the player; all that matters is their tier. Sample units are given below.

Tier 1:
Light Infantry (sword / spear militia, leather or no armour), Light Archers (bow or light crossbow militia, no armour).

Tier 2:
Heavy Infantry (trained sword / spear infantry), Heavy Archers (trained bowmen / crossbowmen), Light Cavalry (mounted spearmen).

Tier 3:
Sergeants (trained troops, mail armour), Heavy Cavalry (mail / partial plate), Missile Cavalry.

Tier 4:
Knights, Mounted Knights.

Tier 5:
Knights of the Inner Circle, Mounted Knights of the Inner Circle.

Ranks and Titles

For martial characters, the progression is as follows:

Squire.
Knight - starting rank.
Baron.
Count.
Earl.
Duke.
Archduke.
King.

For religious characters, the progression is as follows. Note that whilst the titles used are Catholic, that does not mean the nation needs to be - or, indeed, that it needs to have a single religion! Players who want to use a different religion, or invent their own, are also free to create suitable titles. Just ensure the rank structure remains the same for progression purposes.

Deacon.
Priest - starting rank.
Bishop.
Archbishop.
Cardinal.
Pope.

For Knightly Orders, progression is a bit different and will depend on the nature of the Order. However, a sample progression is given here:

Knight Errant - starting rank.
Ordered Knight.
Knight of the Inner Circle.
Master.
Grand Master.

Rising to higher ranks generally means more power and influence, and being demoted likely means you are falling from favour.

More stuff to come soon, including attribute tables, territory generation! For now, you can begin by rolling stats and producing background.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

I will take the sell sword when I get home. Then I can work on it in more depth.

Also, will there be any special skills for each class? Otherwise you may as well just pick the guy with the highest possible statline.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

I'll write up my lady of the court later.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I will write up a Knight tomorrow. Not sure if I want to be Realm or Order just yet. :P
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Wargamer

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 06, 2013, 05:56:38 PM
I will take the sell sword when I get home. Then I can work on it in more depth.

Also, will there be any special skills for each class? Otherwise you may as well just pick the guy with the highest possible statline.
Each class will get slightly different flavours to them. For example, a Free Company Captain doesn't have any land whatsoever, but gets pretty good troops to call upon.

Currently penning up all the options for land and the character traits. ;)

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Lady Bethany Kovarian

Combat: 5
Endurance: 1 I'll swap this to average. 4
Wounds: 3

Leadership: 3 + 1 = 4
Command: 4 + 1 = 5
Diplomacy: 3 Re-roll! 11 + 1 = 12

Attributes:

Roll 1: 4 Battle Scarred) Replace with:
Roll 2: 10 (Leader of Men) (Modifiers already added to stats)
Roll 3: 5 (Racist, +1 Diplomacy with locals, -2 Diplomacy with foreigners.)

Baron Edward Kovarian

Combat: 7
Endurance: 4
Wounds: 11 Re-roll! 9

Leadership: 9 + 1 = 10
Command: 3
Diplomacy: 7

Domain: 7 Hills
Forces: Light crossbow regiment

Attribute:
6: Man of the People (Modifier added to stats)

Bios:
Lady Bethany is the only child of a minor noble. She was married at the age of 17 to her current husband Edward, who inherited her parents' land upon their deaths. Now 22, she and her 25 year old husband are the Baron and Baroness of Kovaria. Edward is a quiet, intelligent man with a good head for numbers, although he is fairly naive when dealing with people. Bethany is quite the opposite meanwhile, as she has quite the gift for persuasion and politics.

The Man They Call Jayne

Captain Rowan Forthwind of the Blackstar Free Comapany.

Male
Age 46

A man used to a life of strife and hard graft who worked his way relentlessly to power, the services of him and his men can be brought for the right price. His loyalty is to his men first and his employer second. Once a contract has been approved he will fulfill it to the letter before accepting another. If his new contract asks him to attack his previous employer, so be it, it is just a job.

Rowan rarely forms personal relationships with people, but he is jovial and often easy to get along with which endears him to his men and to potential employers. His opinion for a tribe or clan extends no further than if he has been paid to protect them or wipe them out.

Only twice has someone tried to back out of paying him and his men and they were both found in tragic circumstances with their entire family dad around them and they gold reserves significantly reduced.

He does the job, and then he gets paid.

Combat: 9
Endurance: 9
Wounds: 11
Leadership: 4
Command: 13
Diplomacy: 5

Stats updated to account for Attribute.

I rolled poorly for Diplomacy, so I switched it out for my Average. And I rolled again for Command because 4 just wasn't going to work.

Forces: 1 Regiment of Heavy Infantry (trained sword / spear infantry), Heavy Archers (trained bowmen / crossbowmen), Light Cavalry (mounted spearmen).

Attributes: Leader of Men (rolled 3 times for that)

Anything I am missing let me know. Im not sure what kind of gear we are meant to be having yet. Ideally I would want a good solid chestplate and pouldrons nothing too heavy on the legs. Weapon wise a Langes Messer for a primary and a Messer in the off hand and a nice heavy mace for a secondary.

I don't know how personal the combat will be though or if we are simply going to be fighting on a company scale where gear has no real impact.

Wargamer

Attributes, domains and regiments are added! :)

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 06, 2013, 10:45:46 PM
Anything I am missing let me know. Im not sure what kind of gear we are meant to be having yet. Ideally I would want a good solid chestplate and pouldrons nothing too heavy on the legs. Weapon wise a Langes Messer for a primary and a Messer in the off hand and a nice heavy mace for a secondary.
Your character is a Captain of some renown, so he can grab a lot of good gear. Mechanically it won't matter too much, so feel free to splash out. ;)

I don't know how personal the combat will be though or if we are simply going to be fighting on a company scale where gear has no real impact.
Players won't be punished for their choice - you're meant to be playing experienced people, so it seems a bit strange if you didn't know how to handle yourself. ;)

Mabbz

As a woman of the court, can I have a husband from the start or must I find one as part of the RP? Also, if I get one at the start should I roll anything for him?

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok so with a command of 13 it would be technically impossible for me to fail on a 2d6, so is the max 12 or will that manifest as some kind of modifier?

Oh, and what constitutes "Missile Cavalry"? I see Heavy Archers in tier 2, but Missile Cavalry in 3. Are they mounted heavy archers or are they something more?

Mabbz

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 07, 2013, 12:36:37 AM
Ok so with a command of 13 it would be technically impossible for me to fail on a 2d6, so is the max 12 or will that manifest as some kind of modifier?
At a guess I'd say a nat 12 is an auto fail. A command of 13 would help if you had modifiers.

The Allfather

I'll also put a placeholder in and write something up tomorrow!

Eagle eye

ill write up a priest character

edit

Arnoldo braker
age 36
He is a holy priest of the Temple Of Helia goddess of the sun he was born to a impoverish family. when he was twelve he joined The Temple of helia after his family was wiped out by bandit raid.
during his time in the temple he focused on helping all who take sanctuary in the temple he then at the age of 30 he was raised to the possition of priest and was invited by the king to be the voice of Helia

combat d6 (5)
endurance d6 (4)
wounds 2d6 (7)

leadership d6(6)+2
command d6(3)+1
diplomacy 2d6+2 (13)+ 2

attributes

-experienced +1 Diplomacy.
-leader of man  +1 Leadership, +1 Command, +1 Diplomacy.
-hard worker +1 to any skill you choose.

domain 11 - Port: Be it the ocean or a major river, your port ensures trade and commerce flows. Your port generates Trade Goods (see Trade Hub).
forces none

Wargamer

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 06, 2013, 10:45:46 PM
Forces: 1 Regiment of Heavy Infantry (trained sword / spear infantry), Heavy Archers (trained bowmen / crossbowmen), Light Cavalry (mounted spearmen).

You only get one regiment - the list was intended to give examples of what you might take. ;)

Quote from: Mabbz on August 07, 2013, 12:32:05 AM
As a woman of the court, can I have a husband from the start or must I find one as part of the RP? Also, if I get one at the start should I roll anything for him?
Your character can start married. You can roll for him if you like - use the rules for creating a successor. He'll act as an NPC under my control though, unless he is seriously weak-willed and inept! :P

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 07, 2013, 12:36:37 AM
In fixed checks, a 12 is an auto-fail. In opposed roles, however, that score of 13 will be very useful!

Oh, and what constitutes "Missile Cavalry"? I see Heavy Archers in tier 2, but Missile Cavalry in 3. Are they mounted heavy archers or are they something more?
Mounted archers, but also capable men in hand to hand combat. Basically, a strong all-rounder force of men.

Heavy Archers could represent anything from archers in heavy armour to English Longbowmen style troops, heavy crossbowmen or possibly men with composite bows - basically, any Archer style unit that is likely to be able to make a mess of anything short of a full-plate equipped soldier.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, In that case I will have a regiment of proper English Longbows. Even full plate was no garentee of survival against skilled archers armed with bows of that power.

Presumably they will have some hand to hand skill as well? No point having archers if they are going to get slaughtered by anything that managed to survive the hail of arrows :P

My services are of course, for hire to anyone with the money to do so :)