News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Gork/Mork Help Me... I'm thinking about Raven Guard

Started by BigToof, November 21, 2015, 04:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
Long time Xenos player.
I've never really been in the whole Power Armor mentality, as I've only really played Space Wolves which tended to not do that well...
But, the new Kauyon book has Raven Guard units that I really, really kind of like.
The only thing is that I can't quite get into their mindset.
What makes them so popular?  I've read bits of their fluff, but they never seem very extraordinary...
Any RG fans that can fill me in?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Masked Thespian

I'm a huge fan of the Raven Guard.  I have been ever since their Chapter Approved article came out in the late UK White Dwarf 260's/early 270's (I wanna say 272).  For me, it boils down to a number of things:
  • Assault- and stealth-based Space Marines that still have the opportunity to go with a shooting army if necessary,
  • Originally able to field full squads of Assault Marines/Command Squads (with jump packs) with twin Lightning Claws (now that's just a thematic option for Vanguard Veterans, unless the Kauyon book changes that),
  • Cool looking (though slightly tricky to paint) paint scheme,
  • Awesome back story (they got practically wiped out during the Istvaan massacre and spent the rest of the Heresy trying to build up their numbers through genetic experimentation that left them with a large number of hulking mutants, similar to the Space Wolves' Wulfen), and,
  • The opportunity to quote Edgar Allen Poe at any given time  ;D .
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty: