News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Linn's Modelling/Painting Log

Started by LinnScarlett, December 23, 2012, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinnScarlett

Putting my New Year W40k resolutions into action a bit early, I've decided to update a little log here every so often, both to keep my head on my major projects as well as to get some constructive feedback.

The most prominent I am currently working on is getting my 222nd Catachan Carnotaurs painted up and in at least a minimal fighting shape (aiming at roughly 750pt, though I haven't given their exact lay-out much thought just yet *hangs head in shame*).

Between my fluff/story about that very same regiment (which I will upload at some point) and the fact that one of my favourite models is a Catachan, I got around to getting my hand on the Command Squad (mostly because of aforementioned model) and a Squad of them for starters.

So, here goes: some pictures of my Catachan in various states of half-assembled and half-painted! :)

Assembled Command Squad! I spend some 3 hours putty-tacking them in all sorts of positions until I was satisfied and glued them together. Oh, my favourite model is right there, in the back, way back, with the flag, do you see him? Probably not.

There, this guy right here. Yes, this picture solely exist to show you. I just really really like this little guy. Scowling magnificently. ;)

Priming and basecoating was much faster than assembling, as always. I already knew what I wanted them to look like, colour wise.

The few hours since the previous picture, I've mostly spend correcting their colour scheme by endlessly painting my poor standard bearer. In the end, I settled for a lighter green - they came out very dark with the dark green and dark red, and I don't like very dark models personally. The lighter green really fixed that, mostly because 80% of them is going to have that as its primary colour. Hehe.

And then, THEN I got it in my head that I wanted US 'nam tigerstripe on them... The problems THAT caused, heh! It took me about, what, 5 hours? Across several days that involved quite heavy cussing because it didn't work out as well as I wanted it to. But, in the end, I think it is going to work out. Here is the only bit of example, so far. Yes, it's on his ass. It was the only flat surface on him. That was the only reason. I swear. :P

Hopefully, I'll get some more time to work on them, soon.   ;D
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Will's on Fire

Looking good on the camo! I like the skin as well.

What colour is in the recess of the skin? Mine always seems to end up being black and not looking very good. :P

- Will

LinnScarlett

Thanks, I shudder at the thought of painting 750pt worth of Catachan with it - it will take short of forever. On the other hand, its going to look AMAZING if I manage it, I think. I personally am a big fan of the US 'nam TStripe, it's so 'artsy'.

The skin is one of them new paints, Ratskin (I think it used to be Dwarf Flesh? Not sure) with the old skin-tone wash over it. The labels have worn off of my wash pots... I think it's Ogryn, the pink/skin one, not the sepia one. Then touched up back with Ratskin, then 50:50 Ratskin / Cadian Fleshtone and then Cadian Fleshtone. It's quite 'red' compared to the other tones in real life.

As skin doesn't really shade to red (but to blue, or green, depending on your nationality; or green/grey/purple depending on your health) I am thinking of giving it a try with a bit of another colour in the ratskin to give it a bit of a blueish tint. Or maybe give it a very diluted Shadow Grey (The Fang?) wash rather than the skin-tone standard wash. Either way, I want to keep the deep shades, just to make the muscles pop a bit - one of the defining characteristics of IG Catachan after all. :)

Jonagon

Wow, that camo is really good at that scale.!

But you will go mad. Fact. My Tau camo took me forever and it was no where near as intense. That said, great respect for trying it, and your brush skills seem to be improving really fast, great stuff.

As far as skin goes, I use a green-grey often as a highlight colour, since I like a bit of grey/desaturation in my skins. But shadow grey should work nicely. I tend to use purple shades in the creases personally.

Sebastian Archer did a pretty nice tutorial on using colours in painting skin, it can be found here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1757. It's fairly long, but if you can get through it you'll learn a lot. I find him particularly inspiring.

LinnScarlett

Yea, I am very well aware that I will. I have already decided that I am going to do it 'on my time', and paint them all with the green-beige first and then just slowly work my way through them. I am still stickling with how (if at all) to do a bit of shading to it, to not make it look too 'flat'. Like a bit of very light green wash in the folds of the cloth to tone it a bit. It's hard also to balance the flow of the fabric against this pattern, because it really quickly looks messy when the black stripes start doing 'weird' things. Unless I find a good way to do that shading... but at the moment I fear I'll be too afraid for a while yet to start messing with it!

Thanks for the tutorial *book marks it and spends 5 minutes oogling the guy's miniature*
There's no such thing as having too many tutorials to fall back on when at a loss! :D

...I probably shouldn't say I've been chewing my bottom lip on the fact that all the naked/hairless muscle on the Catachan looks a bit off. Heh! That, and 5 o'clock stubble... God, I am going to kill myself with these guys I think. >.<

LinnScarlett

More camo pictures, yay!  ;D
Oh and the pictures are a bit off into the blue end, that would be the snow's reflective light fault...

Continued working on Tex' rear-end, continuing with his pants and the back of his jacket.

What I like though, about miniatures in general and my painstacking camo in particular: the further you are viewing it, the better it gets! Got to love the way our eyes gloss over reality and force-see us patterns. :)

Seeing as the process of just painting Tex' took for ever, I did a test-mini on seeing if I could do it quicker and still make it look good. Fail. Especially on the pictures (it's not THAT obvious IRL unless you take the time to compare the two, but yea).

Not nearly as good looking as Tex:

I did his rear end as well, and admittedly it came out better the 'second' time (I paint front and back seperately with the camo to avoid smudging), but still not nearly as good as Tex. I think I will be sticking with the 6-hour version rather than the 2-hour version. Oh well.

Will's on Fire

That camo is awesome! If you can crank out an army like that... I will be in awe. Brilliant!

- Will

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on January 18, 2013, 06:17:50 PM
That camo is awesome! If you can crank out an army like that... I will be in awe. Brilliant!

- Will

I am going to try.... somewhere this century it should be done, right?  ;D
It's pretty fun though, and quite satisfactory when it comes out well.

Narric

Very cool Catachan models :)

I look forward to seeing the army grow :D

LinnScarlett

Thanks! I am pretty pleased with their colourscheme, it was quite a trip to settle on something but this is totally going to work for them, especially combined with the dark/black gear and red bandanas to break the mesmerizing camo. I think I will start doing the camo as the last stage from now on though, as I keep smudging/scraping my paint with my fat little fingers and long filed nails.  :facepalm001:

I'll probably just paint them all up in base colours and work on the non-camo details and highlights, and put the basis of the camo (the beige) down and then... slowly... ever so slowly... get around to adding the brown and black at leisure. :)

loeldrad

Awesome job on the camo! Like everyone said It will be a very impressive army to see on the table. I agree with you on breaking up what you're painting to keep from getting bored (as in don't paint camo on all your models, switch to some guns or head bands etc.).

LinnScarlett

I really need to get around to ordering some of those basin kits to get some fluffy stuff on their bases... ./lazy >_<

LinnScarlett

Good news! I finally got around to buying new basing materials, hoorah! My camera is broken though, so no pictures yet.  :facepalm001:

Narric

Not even a camera phone?

So do you have a plan for what you're going to add? I find putting up my planned Army List helps as I get feedback on uits I'm considering, meaning I don't waste cash on units I won't be fielding.

LinnScarlett

Yea, but it doesn't seem to be wanting to wire the picture to photobucket through my stupid phone. It's just one of those days it seems. And no, I still haven't started their new army list. I really should get around to doing that, soon. Just every time I look at it I am like 'ugh... not today'.