News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Warhounds[Wolves/IG] vs their old foe Necrons/Chaos

Started by Arguleon-veq, May 18, 2013, 02:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Another game against one of the usual lists I face; Necrons/Chaos. We have an 1850 point tournament coming up next month so we were both using our tournament lists for some practice, here is what I used;

Primaris; Life Leech, Endurance
Platoon Command;
50 Guard; 4 Autocannon, 4 Axes, 3 Flamers
Manticore;
2x Vendettas; HB's
5 Long Fangs; 4 Missiles
5 Long Fangs; 4 Missiles
5 Long Fangs; 4 Missiles
9 Grey Hunters; Melta
Drop Pod;
5 Grey Hunters; Plasma
Rune Priest; Lvl2 - Misfortune, Prescience
Rune Priest; Chooser of the Slain - Jaws, Lightning

Defense Line; Quadgun

I was up against this;

Destroyer Lord; Scarabs, Weave
6 Wraiths;
6 Wraiths;
6 Wraiths;
Barge;
Barge;
Barge;
5 Warriors;
5 Warriors;
5 Warriors;
Night Scythe;
Night Scythe
;
Night Scythe;
Sorcerer
; Puppet Master
13 Cultists;
Helldrake
; Baleflamer

Mission; Purge the Alien
Deployment; Hammer and Anvil
Night Fight; Off
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Turn 1+2: I won the roll for first turn but he stole the initiative.

I deployed quite deep whilst he kept his wraiths and lord along his boardedge knowing he couldnt throw them at me as they would just die and give up kill points. I deploy my jaws priest with the horde and kept my platoon command and all my grey hunters in reserve.

His barges move up and despite snap shotting kill 2 long fangs. My return fire is terrible and only does 2 hull points from a barge so no first blood turn 1. I drop my pod in empty in my own lines.

He pushes up some more with his barges and gets two flyers on but doesnt move them on too far in order to stay out of quadgun range, as he wants first blood. He puts all his barges on my manticore who is getting a 4+ cover behind a hill-line and only manages 1 hull point and stuns me.

I get my vendettas on the table who manage to strip 2 hull points off a night scythe, still no first blood. I do manage to finish off the damaged barge and kill another this turn though giving me a 3-0 lead.

Turns 3+4:

His helldrake arrives, his damaged flyer leaves the table whilst the other moves up. The helldrake cant get a bead on my this turn as I am too far down the table.

He puts both tesla at my manticore but only does another hull point and immobalises me.

My reserves arrive and spread out along my board edge. The vendettas put a couple of hull points on the helldrake but again I cant get the kill. My quadgun and autocannons down the other night scythe though.

The helldrake burns down a long-fang unit whilst his last barge finishes off my manticore. His damaged flyer comes back on along with his final night scythe. Putting the score at 3-2.

My vendettas finish off the damaged flyer to make sure of a kill as they cant get a bead on the helldrake whilst my long fangs finish the last barge. 5-2.

Turns 5+:

Im starting to take over now so its up to his helldrake, but it only manages to burn down 3 of another long fang unit whilst his last flyer takes out one of my 2 vendettas.

My autocannons and quadgun take out the last night scythe whilst the vendetta turns to try and get a bead on the helldrake if it goes anothet turn. 6-2.

The game goes another two turns but he cant finish anything of mine off and I cant bring down his helldrake.

Result - Warhounds Victory

Post Game Thoughts; This is the kind of build my list is designed to take on and it worked pretty well although my missiles really struggled against those barges early on which had me worried, if he had gotten the better in that early shoot off I would have really been on the back foot.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Wow, great game against a pretty tough list.  Heldrake with Necrons, a pretty nasty combination.
I wonder if IG/SW is losing some of its steam though, but you make it look still quite satisfying :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3