News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Codex: Space Marine Up for Pre-Order!

Started by Begel Dverl, August 03, 2013, 04:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rarity Declis

Quote from: Narric on August 30, 2013, 08:19:10 AM
Quote from: Rarity Declis on August 29, 2013, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: Wargamer on August 29, 2013, 02:07:15 PM
I'm sorry, what? The studded shoulder plate of Corvus armour provides "more protection"? Why, of course it does! I mean, it's not like those studs allow for less predictable ricochets, or the lack of a trim means that blows can just slide right off the shoulder toward the torso or face!

Clearly, Matt Ward is writing for GW still.

Well, I imagine that if it doesn't have a trim, it means the shoulder pad is that thick all over, so it's a bit thicker, so it's a bit more protection as well as being specifically built to do so, rather than the previous Heresy Armour which is simply designed to be as quick to produce and as rag-tag as possible to scavenge.
Thicker armour doesn't stop a blade from sliding around.

The only way the studs grant more protection, is is they're intended to replace the Trimm, to prevent enemy blades sliding/glancing into the marines body/face. however, and opponent who know this, would simmple aim for the extreme edges of the shoulder pad, rendering the studs redundant.

I personally neverliked the studded shoulder pad pieces myself. They just felt, not fully made?

You see, I quite like them, because they're something different and interesting and make a model stand out a bit. However, after a brief look around the internet, it seems to be that the Romans occasionally studded their leather dresses. So, perhaps a nod to that?

The Allfather

Definitely. There are a lot of nods to Roman legionnaires in the Space Marine design. Even their basic combat "knife" is a Gladius.

Kur'os

Quote from: The Allfather on August 30, 2013, 05:21:22 PMDefinitely. There are a lot of nods to Roman legionnaires in the Space Marine design. Even their basic combat "knife" is a Gladius.

I think calling their knife a gladius is a bit of a stretch.  Unless you're giving mention to the size of their knives?  (I.E. their "knives" basically being short swords compared to humans)

-Kur'os

Rarity Declis

Spoiler

If you look, we have the helmet crests, we have the gladius blade, the studded leather strap-dress things, studded shoulder pads, helmets with the side plate like Roman Helmets, and I'm sure them clambering over classical style columns isn't a coincidence.

So yes, a little bit of a nod to the Romans.  ;)

Narric

However, that is just one Legion (Luna Wolves?) and iirc, they all had a unique style to their armour, which reflected their Geneseed and their Primarch.

Studded Leather belts I can sort of understand, as it can be seen as providing protection to the groin area, from shorter/quicker opponents. A cut or slice in the right place down their can cuase serious greif, especially if your blade is big enough. Imagine a marine getting skewered from beneath by a DE Incubi Klaive. Not pleasent.

Begel Dverl

salamut2202

Now I've seen the centurions in full 3D I have a much more definite opinion on them - they don't exist. Like the storm raven, even if they exist, they don't exist.

Rarity Declis

Quote from: salamut2202 on August 31, 2013, 08:52:28 AM
Now I've seen the centurions in full 3D I have a much more definite opinion on them - they don't exist. Like the storm raven, even if they exist, they don't exist.

That's your choice, but like it or not, they're part of the game, as is the Stormraven. Personally, I dislike Grav weapons suddenly being so available that every squad can now take them, despite never being mentioned in any literature at all ever, are now as available as flamers, but the game moves on, and I'd rather it doesn't get stagnant.

Quote from: Narric on August 30, 2013, 08:14:01 PM
However, that is just one Legion (Luna Wolves?) and iirc, they all had a unique style to their armour, which reflected their Geneseed and their Primarch.

Studded Leather belts I can sort of understand, as it can be seen as providing protection to the groin area, from shorter/quicker opponents. A cut or slice in the right place down their can cuase serious greif, especially if your blade is big enough. Imagine a marine getting skewered from beneath by a DE Incubi Klaive. Not pleasent.

I know, I just picked that photo because it was the first to come to mind. I remember a Space Wolf book when Ragnar and Torin are dueling and Torin points out that he'd knicked Ragnar in most of his arteries, including the groin one, and that even with Space Marine blood clotting, he'd be bloodless in minutes had Torin wanted him to.

Quote from: Begel Dverl on August 31, 2013, 03:43:38 AM
Guys.

Guys.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCatsLarge.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

IT'S HABBENING

Codex: SM is up for pre-order.

Onto happier comments...

Finally, they do a red spray paint of dark red! Finally, I can just spray my Flamebringers army rather than have to sit down and set up the air spray which may clog and I have to buy a seperate paint and... Finally!

Finally, I can spray my Orks green. Awesome. Maybe I'll get around to actually building them since I don't have to spend hours getting all that green on.

£10.00? How long have I been out of the hobby? Were spray paints always so expensive? Ouch.

An Imperial Fist version of the Codex cover? Yes....wait, twice the price for a different cover? And no. The Ultramarine cover looks fine, I guess. I'm not paying ANOTHER codex for an Imperial Fist, even if my chapter is a successor. Sniff... it does look pretty though.

Chaplain Command Squad? I need a Command Squad. I need a Razorback. You can never have too many Chaplains, and this Chaplain looks pretty damn cool. So, I'll likely buy that, because they're awesome... WAIT, £55? The price of an old school battleforce? Are you joking? ...Discounted, around £45... I suppose I can swallow that, because I want one of every unit and this has 3 units I don't... I suppose I can deal with it... grudgingly.

Centurions? I wanna see them in person. I'll probably grab a unit of them, maybe the close combat ones, since the idea of having such a massive suit of armour and NOT punching face seems stupid to me, plus the more flamers, the better, but honestly, not hugely interested in them... So a no from me.

Space Marine Stalker/Hunter? They look... okay, I suppose. I was hoping that the Whirlwind model I love would maybe get their job... and don't we already have flyers to dedicated to taking down other flyers (Stormtalon)? I much, much prefer the two gun one, it looks quite cool, I suppose, and my Imperial Fist successors can always use more defensive tanks, but still, not interested. The single cannon one looks a bit boring, and I really don't like the missile lock rule (why don't Tau have that for Seeker missiles?)

Stern guard squad? More fancy Marines? I might as well grab a box to turn my squad of 5 to a squad of 10, and I imagine it will have a lot of conversion parts, but honestly, not interested.

Vanguard Veteran squad? Now they look beautiful (not as good as the Raptor/Warp Talon box though), have a lot of conversion parts, gives me more reasons to make my shooty army have a unit to die gloriously and looking cool? That suits me great, I'll likely get a box. £25, £20 discounted... yeah, I'll pick up a box.

Tactical Squad? I'm not sure what they have done, it looks fairly standard to my eyes, the Tactical Squad are already an incredibly flexible box, just needed all the options in the box. I've already got 4x Tactical Squads as well... I'll get a new squad every edition, so I'll just wait to get some more.

Space Marine Captain? Got one. Not interested in another guy standing there with sword out with roman crest.

Librarian? This one actually looks really, really good. Not having a little read, not standing around. With the Dark Vengeance and this one looking like they actually want to get in your face, I'm really liking it. So, yes, this one is a very excited purchas... WAITWHATTHEHELL £18? For one, 28mm, Space Marine model? Even with a discount, it's around £14.50-ish? For one basic sized model? Holy hell...

So, I'll be getting a Chaplain Command Squad, a Vanguard Veteran Box, and a Codex, because everything else seems stupidly expensive. I fear, even with discounts, I'm approaching getting priced out. I mean, I've come back from China, dusted off my old Dark Eldar and Space Marines, my girlfriend gave me a Tau army for my birthday, but I look at these prices and think holy hell. I think my Marine collection may actually just be done now.

salamut2202

Quote from: Rarity Declis on August 31, 2013, 01:24:38 PM

That's your choice, but like it or not, they're part of the game, as is the Stormraven. Personally, I dislike Grav weapons suddenly being so available that every squad can now take them, despite never being mentioned in any literature at all ever, are now as available as flamers, but the game moves on, and I'd rather it doesn't get stagnant.
To be fair, grav weapons have been around since Rogue Trader and spacemarines who have them are not ugly as arse, as the flying brick and the terminators who didn't put down the cake are. Don't underestimate my ability to ignore large chunks of recent additions to the backstory.

Scalphunta

Quote from: salamut2202 on August 31, 2013, 02:16:25 PM

To be fair, grav weapons have been around since Rogue Trader and spacemarines who have them are not ugly as arse, as the flying brick and the terminators who didn't put down the cake are. Don't underestimate my ability to ignore large chunks of recent additions to the backstory.

I agree, my Ultramarine army list will hopefully remain the same. Only changes due to updated rules/abilities.
Quote from: Chapter Master Seth on January 12, 2011, 02:07:02 AM
I'm not even kidding though. I really do like [you]. :\

I consider [you] my best friend on the site and somebody I'd like to meet in person.

Rarity Declis

It's not that they have grav weapons, it's that suddenly they're incredibly common, so much so Tactical and Devastators have them, despite them never being mentioned. Also, they're clearly from the Dark Age of Technology, but despite having the last Imperial Jetbike, and the most varieties of anti-grav Land Speeders, naturally it's the Ultramarines and Co. who get them, but not the Dark "We hoard everything old" Angels.

salamut2202

Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 01, 2013, 12:30:31 AM

It's not that they have grav weapons, it's that suddenly they're incredibly common, so much so Tactical and Devastators have them, despite them never being mentioned. Also, they're clearly from the Dark Age of Technology, but despite having the last Imperial Jetbike, and the most varieties of anti-grav Land Speeders, naturally it's the Ultramarines and Co. who get them, but not the Dark "We hoard everything old" Angels.
Right, but a spacemarine which holds one is not ugly as arse :D

Begel Dverl

QuoteThe Ultramarine cover looks fine, I guess.

Firmly grasp it.

Also, I like how they have a section for the Salamanders and how they got more representation in the new models.

Narric

I'm oddly shocked by the new Tactical Marine Box. A huge amount has been added, and its only gone up £5? Moments like this give me hope that there is SOMEONE in GW who isn't a complete money grubbing git.
I like the inclusion of a customisable Combi-weapon. Anvils looks cooler though :P

If you pay close atention to the Centurion, you'd notice the Marine has been stretched :P The distance between the top o the normal legs (which can be seen on the back) to the bottom of the helmet looks to be around 5mm more than a Tactical marine. And due to posing, the Centurion Headdoesn't even seem to be just a helmet on top of the marines helmet, its the actually marines head in a slightly bulkier helmet.

The captin model has a bit of derp in in. The majority of the model is pre-posed, meaning that unless you place the head facing towards the sword tip, its going to look incredibly awkward.

The Librarian is curious. The legs are sperate, maine it can actually be mixed with other marine parts. I foresee a large number of semi-unique conversions based on this new Libby.

For only two frames, the Sternguard is definately overpriced. Can't complain about contents, just the price being a turn-off.

The Vanguard frames include another strange thing to see in a GW kit. Holes suitable for magnetising. Somethings Puppets War has been doing since Day one with their kits, which makes me have a knee-jerk reaction to think they just want to sell more kits. Surprised the Vanguard kit is £25 compare to the sterngaurd £30, for roughly the same amount of things.

The Reclusiam Command box is another kit I think shows that someone in GW still cares. @ £55 there is a lot you can do with it (ignoring the fact its better for non-blinged Sternguard) The new Chaplain is a bit weird. I think they were trying too hard with him.

Can't really say I have strong feelings either way about the Stalker/hunter model.

Arguleon-veq

I really like the new tank but i dont think its worth the price they want when in terms of actual model size and parts its no better than a pred. I also think those centurians look a little better now ive seen better pics of them, I still think its a bit of a silly idea but at least they dont look as bad as I thought they would. Still think they should have included contemptors and maybe another flyer to balance the book rather than suits though.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33