News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The War Saga: Prelude (OOC Thread)

Started by Waaaghpower, April 25, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Here's all my rolls and actions, in case anyone cares about the nitty gritty.

Spoiler
Sword 2:  Initiative - 82
Stay behind Sword 1
Attack (If threatened) - Career +10, Skilled +10 - Rolled 81 (Needs 55)
Attack again - Career +10, Skilled +10 - Rolled 45 (Needs 55)
   Damage 4, Pen 2 - 1/10th Physiqe +3, Rolls 9 for Damage, Franklin's Physique -2 - Total damage 14 with 2 Pen
      Franklin Dodges - 21 (Needs 25)

David:  Initiative - 72
Magic Shield (Himself) - Using 12 Energy - Physical and Magic attacks -20, Shield Bracelet +15, Skilled in Defensive Magic +10, Career +10, - Rolls 36 (Needs 70)
Preparing Spell
Preparing Spell

Sword 1: Initiative - 65
Order the citizens to stand down
Move towards David
Attack David Thrown back by Franklin's spell, action fails.

Jane:  Initiative - 60
Move to the side
Zap!
Zap! against the soldier Franklin threw - +20 to hit - Rolled 47 (Needs 53)
   Damage - 2 + Rolled 10! Damage (He dies!)

Franklin:  Initiative - 60
Prepare Spell, Concealed - Rolled 93 (Needs 30) FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! YOU FAAAAAIL!
Concussive Magic - Using 13 Energy - Steel Armor -20, Wand +30, Skilled in Concussive Blast (Allows test), Career +10 - Rolls 62 (Needs 65)
   Sword 1's Physique - 33 (Needs 30) - Takes d5 (3) Damage and stunned for 1 Round 
Shield Magic - Using 10 Energy - Runic Armor +10, Skilled in Sphere of Safety +10, Career +10, - Rolls 100 (Needs 75)
   Critical Fail. Gravity is tripled directly where Franklin is standing.
      Agility Test - 54 (Needs 30)
         Physique Test 75 (Needs 25. 5 Points of Damage.)

Gun 2:  Initiative - 49
Aim at nearest target
Fire - Aimed +20, Career +10, Skilled +10, Point Blank +30 - Rolled 75 (Needs 90*)
   Damage 6, Pen 2 - Rolls 7 for Damage, Franklin's Physique -2 - Total damage 11 with 2 Pen   
      Mind test to resist pain - 44 (Needed 54)
Reload - Rolled 74 (Needs 30, will have to take an extra turn)

Korus:  Intiative - 46
Take Cover
Attach Hammer
Come out swinging (At Gun 2) - Skilled  +10 - Rolled 10 (Needs 35)
   Damage 9, Pen 2 - 1/5th Phsyique +14, Rolls 9 for Damage - Total damage 32 with 2 Pen
      Gun 2 Dodge - 32 (Needs 30) He's dead.

Simo:  Initiative - 45
Draw weapon
Aim
Fire (Headshot!) - Aimed +20, Career +10, Talented  +30, Point Blank +30, Called Headshot -20 - Rolled 91 (Needs 90*)

Gun 1: Initiative - 37
Aim at David
Fire - Aimed +20, Career +10, Skilled +10, Point Blank +30 - Rolled 10 (Needs 90*)
   Damage 6, Pen 2 - Rolls 8 for Damage, David's Shield -24, - No damage, 10 Shield left
Reload - Rolled 21 (Needs 30)

*Hit bonus cap, all rolls above 90 would fail no matter what.

Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Mabbz

I have a powerful urge to yell "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!" when using that wand.

*wand runs out of spirit*

"Oh, I guess it did have a limit."

Narric

What modifiers to what rolls would I have if I tried to persuade the rifleman to give up?

Waaaghpower

Well, your Ability won't help much since he's a hostile NPC, and since you went with Charisma rather than Persuasion there's not a lot of help there.

On the other hand, you did just kill a buddy of his.

I'm going to say a flat Intelligence test versus his flat Willpower test.

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah. . .

I am going to suggest, and this isn't just because I got completely fucked up, that the combat system be adjusted somewhat. Franklin is a sorcerer with over 80 years experience. It should not be possible for him to fuck up a simple shield spell so badly that he gets driven into the ground like that and take fairly serious wounds. At worst, the spell simply wouldn't work if his concentration was broken.

I get that gravity is a risky thing to use, but if these are the kind of results that I am going to get  if it goes wrong, then I am pretty much gonna have to stay out of the way unless I absolutely have to get involved or I am going to wind up dead in no short order. Fluffwise, and mechanically, I think you need to reconsider the combat system a little. I know for a fact that a d100 system is hard to balance, I have been using one in my Fallout RPG.

I would suggest that either the penalties for failure need to be rebalanced, or the odds of success need to be raised. Fluffwise, we are meant to be elite, by reputation, the best at what we do, even in combat we can't "just go wrong" that badly.

Consider the secondary affects too. I balls up that spell like I did, anyone within 20 feet of me is going to get hurled towards the gravity well that has just formed around me, they are going to take damage too, they are going to fly several feet forward and be dragged off their feet.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

The only reason things went poorly is because you rolled a natural 100. Anything less and it would have just failed without much pomp or circumstance, and a minor fail still would have gotten a partial pass.

That being said, this is still a practice fight. I'll be tweaking lots of things when we're done.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ah, I see, in that case, might I suggest that, while a critical failure is entirely fine and I have no issue with it, maybe the writing could represent something happening that caused it? I realise I got shot, but it didn't seem to cause me to much trouble to the point where I would have messed so badly.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 10, 2015, 06:16:55 PM
Ah, I see, in that case, might I suggest that, while a critical failure is entirely fine and I have no issue with it, maybe the writing could represent something happening that caused it? I realise I got shot, but it didn't seem to cause me to much trouble to the point where I would have messed so badly.

I'll try and do a little better on that next time. Learning experiences ho!

Anyhoo, what're your next three actions?

Narric

Should we all just roll for Intimidation then?

Waaaghpower

Ah ah, Narric, no discussing your actions out of character. ;)

Anyhoo, once I have your actions we'll finish this puppy up.

Waaaghpower

Here's the rolls, if anyone cares:

Spoiler
Simo - 88 (Daaamn!)
Draw Pistol
Shoot the Swordsman (N/A)
Shoot the Swordsman (N/A)

David - Initiative 80
Death Spell (Both targets) - 8 Energy - Staff -10, 2 Targets -20, Steel Armor -15, Difficulty -10, Career +10, Talented +15, 2 turns Prep +30 - 15 (Needs 45)
   Physique Test for Swordsman -15 - 91 (Needs 15)
   Physique Test for Rifleman -15 - 76 (Needs 15)
Shield (If threatened) (N/A)
Shield (If threatened) (N/A)

Jane - Initiative 74
Charge and Zap the Swordsman (N/A)
Back into Cover (N/A)
Flank the Rifleman (N/A)

Korus - 62
Prepare to shield himself (If threatened)/Return to aggressive stance and wait (N/A)
Attack rifleman (N/A)
Prepare to shield himself (N/A)

Swordsman 2 - 43
Swing at the nearest enemy (WP test not to flee) (N/A)
Back away to the door, defensively (N/A)
Run for his life (N/A)

Rifleman 2 - 40
Fire at Korus (N/A)
Back away to the door (N/A)
Run for his life (N/A)

Franklin - 34
Concussive Blast (10 Energy) (N/A)
Gravitational Vacuum (13 Energy) (N/A)
Concussive Blast (If threatened) (N/A)

Waaaghpower

By the way: In case anyone is concerned, David won't be joining the group for most future fight scenes. Since everyone will be splitting up at least a little and he'll be striking out on his own when we set up the megaspells, you'll be on your own once the real combat begins.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quick question, does Simo's career not apply to small arms? Would've thought if you can hit a target half a mile away with a rifle hitting at close quarters would be a pretty simple affair.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

His career does apply, I just never got to the point of needing to roll to fire with them.

Waaaghpower

Okay, official changes to the rules:
Actions out of combat are going to be at a base +10. (Rather than making actions in combat at a -10, which I was originally considering.)

Defensive actions count as happening simultaneous to higher initiative attacks. (I already mentioned this, but since it's an official change-log.)

'If threatened' is staying as an addendum, which can be added. ANY two actions can be chosen, one for acting normally and one action to take 'If threatened', but they must be two specific actions. (You can even choose to attack only if you aren't threatened, and react in shock and horror if they attack first.) However, the second choice (the 'If threatened' choice) will only be done if you pass an Agility test at +20 to react in time. If an ally shouts a warning (Either because he also had an 'It's threatened' choice and passed his roll, or because he's the one threatening the enemy,) you get an additional +20 to the roll.
(Essentially, I wanted to balance this a bit with a slight chance of failing to react, to keep it from being too powerful.)

I'm removing pain from the equation.

I'm taking everyone's HP back up to one hundred, 'cause I really don't want you to die unless it's a horrible, awful situation.

Since it wasn't technically a rule before, 'Called shots' to hit a specific body part can be taken at -15 to hit. (Yes, this can be stacked with a 'Weak point' attack to boost your chance of crit.)

You can get a +20 to rolls by doubling the time to take the action. (One-turn actions take two turns, two-turn actions take four turns.) Or, you can get a +30 to rolls by tripling the time.

I'm also adding a list of various weapons, basic spells, and items and their effects.

Oh, and I highly recommend everyone re-read the 'Society and Culture' section of the rules.
EDIT: Because I added stuff. And I think you all missed something in it on your first read-through anyways.