News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Some Chaos Space Marines

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, June 18, 2012, 08:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

It was only when I saw this model on a big screen uder good light that I realised how many gaps there are in the paintjob, So I apologise for that in advance.

My small sqaud of CSMs (the rest are still being painted)

Close up of the Aspiring Champion

Close up of the Icon of Tzeentch

And just for the hell of it, A Remora Drone Fighter :)

Feel free to critique, or heap on false praise. Or real praise. Either is good :)
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

The blue armour looks really blotchy. I found a method of painting thousand Sons/Night Lords thats really easy:

1. Spray model Black
2. Water down Enchanted Blue (or equivalent shade of Blue) and apply a thorough coat over the whole model.
3. Wash with Asurmen Blue (or equivalent blue wash)
4. Profit

For trim, I'd recommend Tin Bitz, under Dwarf Bronze. This would also look good of the banner, leaving tin bitz showing in the recesses.

For the bone, I'd recommend Caltharn Brown, with a drybrush of Bleached Bone, or Commando Khaki. Though you did good on the Power Pack skulls :)

Your silver areas look flat, so a wash of Badab Black would have great, with detail redone with Chainmail or Mythril Silver

The internal red glow sort of looks ok, but it also looks like you used too big of a brush for it. Repainting the face-plate. If you want to keep the red glow, try carefully drybrushing a darker red in the area.

I think thats all I can say. Of course colours are subject to name-change with the new Paint collection release, but hopefully the names I've given can give you a good idea of what I'm talking about.

The Man They Call Jayne

*Hangs head in shame*

. . .That is the exact process I used. . .

*runs off to shoot self behind the chemical sheds*

Narric

Really? PErhaps you didn't water down you blue paint enough. Mine practicaly leaks from the pot when I'm shaking it up. It needs to be barely staying on the model.

I can show you the model I did it on. (be aware, I have altered the picture Brightness and contrast)

With this picture I've noticed a couple areas I needed to add some more wash to, but otherwise, I hope its a good example.

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah, mine actually look fine normally, just seeing them in hi res and so magnified, it really pulls out the flaws. Thet do need alot of touching up in a lot of places.

Rej

My advice would be not to go straight to enchanted blue after the black spray, but instead build up to it. Just after the black spray, base coat with a  darker blue, i tend to use Necron Abyss (no idea what it's called now). And to avoid leaving any gaps? Nice brush, not small, no delicacy involved and just make sure you cover all the blue parts well. This will let the later blue layers go on easily and give a more even spreading. (The only problem with doing it this way is you need to delicate hand to go back over and do the black recesses at the end... Or a nice wash...)

Then continue with the enchanted blue! (I actually go to regal blue next, then a regal blue/enchanted blue mix, then enchanted blue, then an enchanted blue/space wolves grey mix, but the last few steps are just for highlighting/dry brushing).

But overall good look Thousand Sons, easily one of my favourite legions.
Phew...

Thantos

Looks great! ;D needs basing though and hallogen lamps dont give the best pics. But nice job, solid PJ. Drone needs edge highlights btw ;)

Gratz on taking advantage of Bonus Karma Fortnight ;D