News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Is the GW Skull White spray any good?

Started by Stewie Griffin, June 07, 2012, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewie Griffin

As title,

I've used both GWs and ArmyPainters Black sprays before (and even APs Yellow spray too) but I've never used white spray from anywhere. However, in the near future I'm thinking of doing a small 5-750pt Eldar force, and so I plan to start using white primers.

Now over to you, what do you think of GWs Skull White Spray - is it any good? Is it dodgy? Does it give a good coverage? Is it a matte finish? (this is important, as I dont want a shiny finish) and if you have had problems with it before, is it possible to strip it off using Nail Polish Remover? (That'll be a first for me too in the next few days, as I plan to strip a metal model) and are there any other white sprays you can recommend which are strippable should the situation warrant and give a matte finish

Rarity Declis

I think it is very good.

It covers well, and is a matte finish from plastic, although may not be great on bright colours with a light coat.

Sorck

I personally find GW sprays to be a little bit of a waste of money, especially when using them on plastic/resin models. This is because you can get much more paint at a better price from other shops - e.g. Halford's matte white primer (for painting black I simply use matte black spray as you can't get a primer). Other retailers also sell such paints. Make sure you pick up the matte primer though! :P

For painting metal models GW sprays are better than most other sprays unless you undercoat them first with a metal primer (this basically makes the spray stay on the model as well as it would stay on a plastic model).

Carrelio

Keep in mind that primer is not a basecoat.  People often disregard this point, but the primer is designed to allow paint to stick to plastic, so its colours are actually a little duller.  To get a high quality model you need to paint over your base coat even if you are painting white over white, or black over black.  As a primer, the white and black primer are both fine so long as they aren't too old (I had an old can of black which came out in clumps, I had to strip the model and start again).

Stewie Griffin

Thank you all for your advice :)

I've stripped (for the first time actually) some of my metal models which I'm interested in spraying, specifically an Eldar Bonesinger, so I'll give GWs spray a whirl and get back to you (gotta buy it first).

Thank you.