News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Isle of Carandia (RPG)

Started by Narric, November 24, 2018, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

A new Halfling was standing behind the bar as Obsidian approached, female with long dark red hair obscuring half her face and clearly younger than the grey haired Brindle.
"Daaad, someone finally has the smarts to ask about our supply problem." She called out directing it downwards behind the counter. Thumping resonated through the counter, until Brindle popped back up with a keg as large as himself loaded on his back.

"Aaah, I figured you lot would. Findle, cover the bar while I talk to them? And don't forget our temporary prices this time?" He hoisted a keg onto an empty bracket behind the counter, checked the spigot was securely fastened, and leaned over the counter to speak to Obsidian, sighing breifly to start with.
"Look, Jois is a good man, and I would never think him at fault without evidence. But I haven't the time to trump around for new suppliers, so I need him back up to his best." Rubbing his hands with a cloth he paused, clearly feeling a little disheartened. "The increased prices mean I can offer a decent reward if you can travel to his Brew and Meadery, find out what trouble he may or may not be in, and come back to tell me whats up.... "

"And what reward are you offering?" The Dwarf asked, with a pang of underwhelm-ment as she had hoped something more substantial would mark her start as an adventurer outside Vantadurn. "I'm not just anybody's messenger, you get me?"

"Well, I'll do you and the group free-room and board tonight if you travel tomorrow, or for a night on your return. I can also do 20gold for each member of the party when you return."

"Hmmm, I'm not saying yes straight away. I think I heard one of them complain about not discussing it with them first." Obsidian waved as she returned to the table, and relayed what Brindle was wanting and what he offered as payment.
"What do you lot think?"

Cammerz

Nyx's eyes went wide. This was it, this was the start of her new life. So long gutter trash, hello free room and board with 20 gold on top to seal the deal. 20 gold! For one job!

She glanced around, a figure of nervous excitement. "Can I join?" she asked the room, perhaps a little too loud and a little too quickly but she didn't care. "I can help, always happy to".

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Hlaine lowered his tankard. "Alright, seeing as we're apparently doing this anyway, I'm going to need more to work with." he sighed. He noted the barman's worried expression. "No, no, not as in rewards or free ale, don't worry. What I need is information. Any other issues in the area that might connect? Any rumours hat might tie in at all, or anything in the area that might have caused some issues?"

Hlaine noted the curious expressions from the others at the table. "What? At this stage it could be anything from wild beasts making gathering ingredients difficult to half the staff being wiped out by illness. Just trying to narrow it down."
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Jacurutu

Aela's demeanor sobered as the spontaneous group seriously considered the job. After a short pause, she gave Nyx a glance. "The more we have the quicker it will get done." She commented, nodding.

"Maybe there was a robbery at this brewery?" She added as Hlaine went through the possibilities.

Narric

Brindle appeared at the table, a small meat sandwich in hand, he pulled up a chair.
"I don't mind how many of you want to take this job." He replied to the urchin gnome. "There does seem to have been an increase in bandits on the small countryside roads, a few even finding spots on the more established roads. You'd best be careful on your way to Lakenvale...." he took a pause to eat, his features showing he was in thought on what Hlaine and Aela had asked.
"Its unlikely they had a break in. Jois would have sent a message explaining as such... Something has affected his supply, I'm sure of that.... One thing that has been a notable change has been I haven't seen the delivery crew in as long. Before they would normally wake me in the night and we'd work together to load the barrels downstairs, and I'd pay for them and Jois in hand. Recently though they have been doing it all themselves and just taking the gold. I've tried staying up and waiting at the hatch outside, but I always somehow close my eyes for too long, and they've been and gone with no comment nor hello...."

"Nothing else is taken?" Benjamin enquired once Brindle had finished.

"That was one of my first concerns. My daughters and I at first searched the whole inn and our living area, but found nothing out of place beside the exact gold for payment..."

"How long ago did this start?" Obsidian chimed in.

"Ooh, it started a couple months ago, would you believe... I tried asking the town guards if they'd help, nothing. Posted a couple job listings in the Adventurers guild and nobody had any interest except complaining about my prices! Honestly this whole thing is mainly giving me stress because I'm losing business here, which is starting to hurt my profits... I'm sorry...." He stops and rubs his eyes, sighing softly.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"When's your next delivery due?" Hlaine asked. "Might be that we can get some more information from the crew before we go to the brewery."

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Mabbz

"Assuming we can see the delivery crew, at least," added Ben. "Whereabouts is this brewery anyway? It might be worth a half of us staying here to try speaking to the delivery crew while the rest go check out the brewery."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"I don't see why we wouldn't be able to see them. They might be quiet but invisibility spells generally  cost too much to be worthwhile got this kind of thing." Hlaine replied.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Narric

Brindle collected himself, and looked over to Hlaine.
"Uhm.. I think... the next delivery is, meant to be tonight in fact..." He pauses to rub his face as he mentally pictures map of roadways to get to Lakenvale.
"Lets see, to get to Lakenvale, you follow the main road out the city, and take the first major road left, taking you towards Gemoscross. You then take the country road off to the right, which should take you straight to Lakenvale. Hopefully you can catch the deliverymen and they can load you onto their cart and save you wearing your boots down." Brindle pauses again in thought.
"It is strange how I've not seen them in so long despite the deliveries arriving and payment being taken..." He sighs.
"considering the delivery is tonight, I'll say I'll do your room and board tonight, and we'll see how things go once you return. You'll have to exucse me, it seems old Tyorbex is trying to propose to Findle again." With that, Brindle excuses himself from the table heading towards the bar where a grizzled warrior looking Dwarf was boasting his past exploits and promising a good life to Findle who was doing her best not to clobber the old man.

Cammerz

"Well then", Nyx addressed the group, "I guess we'd better get ready for them to show up, maybe we could hide near where they collect their payment just to make sure, or down by the empty casks. I can be pretty stealthy if I need to be and it helps that I can see in the dark".

She gazed around at the group, searching their eyes for the suggestion that it was a good idea. If you want to make it in an adventuring group then you have to make them see the advantage of having you around.

Jacurutu

Aela, who had been half paying attention squeezed her eyes shut and reopened them, pinching the bridge of her nose and rubbing her eyes. She wasn't yet sure she liked alcohol. "Yeah." She added weakly as she tried not to feel nauseous. "I'll go with you." She replied to Nyx's suggestion before glancing over at the rest of the table. "Maybe we should split up?" She agreed, turning to Ben , Hlaine and offering more timid glance toward Obsidian. "Doesn't look like all of us would be suited for sneaking around. Er.. no offense intended."

Mabbz

"None taken," smiled Ben. "But given we don't know exactly when they'll be coming, we'd better take turns keeping watch. With that in mind, I think I'll go get some rest. Wake me when it's my turn."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Hiding works, we can get the drop on them if there's anything suspicious going on and hopefully hitch a ride to the brewery and figure out what's gone on there." Hlaine said.  "I'm gonna take a look around, see where would be best to hide and watch the approach as well as the delivery site."

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Cammerz

"I'll join you," Nyx said to Hlaine, better than struggling to find somewhere at the last minute.

And with that the two climbed down from their chairs and made off towards the back of the inn.

Narric

The group made Brindle aware of their plans, and he told them which direction the cart would likely arrive. True to his word, three two person rooms were made up for the group, adding the advantage of the windows overlooking the alleyway. Hlaine and Nyx made use of the remaining afternoon light to scope out the alleyway for good hiding spots. Despite Hlaine's training in being covert, hiding like a child seemed to flummox him, Nyx on the other hand scrambled all over the alley, finding the perfect spot for the two of them to await the delivery cart from. Obsidian chose to wait in the doorway, while Aela took the elevated window position. A three pronged trap to ensure they got answers.

As the others prepared their gear for the evening and night, Ben took the middle of the three rooms and set his gear aside for a nap, but made sure he could pick it up quickly in a moments notice.

The group settled into their places, while the spring weather brought warmth despite the night.

The Nightinggale Inn is a timber structure with wattle and daub exterior and a shallow thatched roof. The front of the building stretches roughly twenty five yards, with two simple diamond patterned stained glass windows, either side of the entrance way. The building stretches roughly sixty yards back, with an alley on the right of the building as you would enter. The alley serves as an access way for the rear of other local businesses and is wide enough for a cart and a human to pass each other. There is a door that leads to the side of the bar, and two foot to the side of it is a large hatch that would open into the cellar of the Inn. All the doors and frames are made of wood. On the opposite side of the hatch there is a small stack of empty barrels from the Inn. There is a small one and a half foot overhang from the upper floor over the alley.
Across the alley and towards the front of the Inn is a smaller alley with a few barrels stacked three high. It is roughly wide enough for two humans to stand side by side.

[Time Skip]

The hustle and bustle of the city had died down to a murmur in distant streets. A steadily growing sound of hooves and wheels on cobblestone streets can be heard. As the horse and laden cart turn down the alley, Nyx, Hlaine, Aela and Obsidian ready themselves. A light breeze caresses down the alley from the cart, fine sand and petals drifting languidly towards the Inn doorway. Aela and Nyx heard the faint chirping of a cricket, the sound coming from nowhere and everywhere but distant. Their vision blurred and they slumped slowly into sleep. Another breeze drifted carrying nothing but the smell of some sort of perfume to Hlaine and Obsidian.

From his position, Hlaine could see two humanoids in robes on the cart, with a horse pulling it at a leisurely pace. The smell of perfume seeming to become stronger as they approached.

[Dice Rolls]
Hlaine Stakeout: 7
Nyx Stakeout: Nat20
Weather: 8
Sleep Spell: 29

[Status]
Nyx: Unconcious (Time Remaining: 60seconds) HP 10/10
Benjamin: Sleeping HP 10/10
Aela: Unconcious (Time Remaining: 60seconds) HP 10/10
Obsidian: Alert HP 14/14
Hlaine: Alert HP 12/12
Goon 1: Alert HP 8/8