News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Point Defence Systems - new toys for vehicles!

Started by Wargamer, July 24, 2012, 12:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Weapon Skill now, though it's still on Front armour if the Walker is mobile.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Pottsey

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 25, 2012, 02:47:45 PM
What's it take to hit a walker with a Grenade in CC now? Still what it was in 5th?
As far as I can tell it

InsaneTD

Quote from: Wargamer on July 25, 2012, 02:50:48 PM
Weapon Skill now, though it's still on Front armour if the Walker is mobile.
That's one hell of a change and a welcome one. Now for Kroot to get EMP grenades

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Wargamer on July 25, 2012, 01:58:53 PM
QuoteIt's too early to say anything Wargamer as the meta is not set in stone.
Wrong.

The "meta" is about how people counter their own weakness, and the enemy's strength.

"Meta" doesn't factor in here. This is about maths.

Here's the example from a game I witnessed: a Venerable Dreadnought took three Glancing Hits from Haywire Grenades. Now, I'm going to do the math on just what the odds were, in each Edition, of those shots killing the Dreadnought (ignoring its 'Venerable' rule) given that they have scored 3 Glancing Hits.
3rd / 4th Edition: 42.1% The attacker needs to roll 1 or more 6s on 3D6.
5th Edition: 0%. It is not possible to kill the Dreadnought without additional factors.
6th Edition: 100%. 3 Glancings = 3 lost Hull Points. Vehicle is wrecked with no further rolls required.

That's an increase of vulnerability right there.

What 6th has done is make Vehicles more useful in the short term; it's a little harder to stun-lock a vehicle now, but overall they're screwed this Edition.

Haywires are nasty, that I will give as I love them for what they do to walkers even more these days. And then there is the range of the haywire which ranges from point-blank to 24".

If you want to use mathematics and probabilities into the equation, you will have to realize one thing; there are two parallel systems in destroying vehicles which makes the traditional mathematical calculations for warhammer in a loop to begin with which is the hull point system while the other is the penetration chart. Those two systems have their own quirks and combining them can often be very difficult as we are not accustomed to the idea two parallel damage systems on one particular unit type.

Look into the programming currently being attempted for this at the link below.

40k Metrics: 6th Edition Vehicle Mathhammer by Nikephoros

As for the part that you say 'wrong'. I did not say that you are wrong or right, just that we need to play this edition further to know the truth. The meta still plays a part in seeing what unit truly works in this stage. If the area is heavily terrained, then vehicles are just as survivable if not more survivable thanks to the buildings around them while those that tend to play in tables where the terrain is sparsely littered around the board will cry a river over the new vehicle rules. And of course there are the meta of a balanced hybrid list over those of mechanized list, and the types of armies that people usually face. Combine them all together and you are hard-pressed to see whether vehicles are truly nerfed or not in this edition. Some vehicles suffered as of this moment, but some are thriving as well.