News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Paints count!!!

Started by Thantos, September 15, 2012, 01:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

So who has the most paints?  :D You can count duplicates if you have more than one, any manufacturer, any type!
Lets see who has the biggest paint addiction, winner gets a free weeks therapy in paint-re-hab! ;)

Add your name to the ongoing list in acending order  ;D

Ill get started with a modest 186 paints and washes  ::) ... and i borrow half my brothers set too from time to time which is like another 100 :S

Thantos 186

Narric

I only use what I have, and buy only what I need.

I'd likely never buy nor use the "Ultimate Paint Set" or whatever GW sells, nor will I branch out from Citadel colours to another range for the simple fact of I'm a lazy hobbyist :P

The only non-gw paints I have are from various airfix model kits and childrens playsets I've purchase before and during my Warhamer Hobbyism.

My paint collection is probably between 30-40 paints.

Will's on Fire

I have 28. Hardly a high count. :P

I've only ever bought paints that were useful for my armies and usually missed out midtones just getting the dark one of the light one and mixed to get midtones. Might have to start expanding the collection to improve my painting. :P

- Will

Paradoxrifts

I have a few paints, washes, inks and pigments.  :facepalm001:

Thantos

Quote from: Paradoxrifts on September 15, 2012, 05:28:08 PM

I have a few paints, washes, inks and pigments.  :facepalm001:

Now COUNT THEM!  :P
Thats a serious set - do i spy VMA airbrush paints?

Will, you need more paints, how do you paint so good with such a small selection?  ;)

hockman87

Paradoxrifts, I will hazard a guess of 338 paints you have in there.  I myself have only 20ish paints.  :-\  only have one army so no need for much paint.

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Thantos on September 15, 2012, 08:04:59 PM
Will, you need more paints, how do you paint so good with such a small selection?  ;)

I recounted and it turns out I have 24, of which one is empty. So 23. Not 28. :P

I need to buy myself mid tones, and a snakebite leather colour, which I think it now XV-88 base, or Balor Brown layer.

- Will

Paradoxrifts

Quote from: Thantos on September 15, 2012, 08:04:59 PM
Thats a serious set - do i spy VMA airbrush paints?

Not even going to start counting them, but I picked up a  briefcase kit of VMA's from Maelstrom before Vallejo put up their prices last year. It's nothing you can't mix yourself with a little bit of trial and error, but the convenience of having a ready-mix airbrush paint on hand is nice. 

Vallejo is my preferred brand. The company makes good paint in my opinion, but as the bottles they sell it in are completely air tight there is little to no moisture loss to mess with the properties of the paint itself. I also like Privateer Press paints for exactly the same reasons. The range however isn't quite as extensive, and tends towards brighter saturated shades of colour compared to the far more naturalistic VMC range. I never really got into the VGC range because PP was around the same price, has almost an identical range of colours and is readily available from my LGS.

I also have a handful of Reaper paints, and while the bottles are also air tight I'm not a huge fan of the paint inside of them. It's still paint, it still works, but it just isn't for me. Plus some Vallejo Game Inks which behave identically to the old Games Workshop inks and are fantastic in restoring high saturation vibrancy to a blend that has become too desaturated. And finally I have some Secret Weapon Washes. It's nothing that I couldn't have made myself from a little matte medium, water and paint, but I do like the convenience of a ready-mix that comes in it's own little bottle.

I also have a steadily decaying range of GW paints. I don't want to come across as a hater, but the simple truth is that the containers do not lend themselves to a significant shelf life.

Quote from: hockman87 on September 15, 2012, 08:06:31 PM
Paradoxrifts, I will hazard a guess of 338 paints you have in there.  I myself have only 20ish paints.  :-\  only have one army so no need for much paint.

Yeah, my collection is more than a little bit silly. Nobody needs this much model paint.

Jonagon

96 for me! A fairly moderate number, I tend to mix a lot.

Tempest Six Two

Approximately 115 or thereabouts. And being deathly afraid of running out of an OOP paint colour/having a massive hatred of mixing, I am only using roughly 30 of these, being new colours OR stuff that hasnt changed (Chaos Black, some of the washes).

My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m