News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Warhounds [SW] vs Necrons 1850

Started by Arguleon-veq, December 29, 2012, 11:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

So I was once again facing the power Necron build which I am still to beat after 3 attempts, the first was with my Warhounds, losing a very close game. Then my Warhounds lost a one sided game against it, as did a Purifier GK build I was trying. So could I pull it out at the 4th attempt?

This was my list:

Rune Priest: Chooser
Rune Priest: Lvl2
10 Hunters: 2 Melta, Banner, Pod
10 Hunters: 2 Melta, Banner, Pod
5 Long Fangs: 4 Missiles
5 Long Fangs: 4 Missiles

Primaris:
Platoon Command:
50 Guard: 5 Power Axes, 3 Flamers, 3 Autocannons.
Special Weapon Team: 3 Flamers
2x Vendetta: +HB's
Manticore:

I was against the usual Necron build, this is the build thats winning tournaments at the minute which my opponent was actually using first and doing well with so he is expecting to finish well at a big 100+ tournament in Jan with it.

Destroyer Lord: Scythe, Scarabs, Weave.
Destroyer Lord: Scythe, Scarabs, Weave.
6 Wraiths:
6 Wraiths:
5 Wraiths:
5 Warriors:
5 Warriors:
5 Warriors:
10 Immortals:
Night Scythe:
Night Scythe:
Night Scythe:

3 Objectives
Diagonal

Powers - Endurance [woo!], Prescience, Re Roll Saves [woo!], Jaws, Lightning.

Deployment:

I deployed my blob squad in some area terrain at the bottom of a multi story ruin. The fangs deployed in the ruin with the manticore behind it. He pretty much deployed across from me with some jungles giving him somecover although he didnt need it for the wraiths.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Night Fight - OFF

Turn 1:

I have my command squad hidden out of LOS under the ruin on 1 objective, he has his immortals in his backfield on his whilst there is another not too far away from the area terrain I am clustered in, in some jungle terrain.

I get first turn an drop my hunters onto a big bunker in order to shoot a barge behind it, hoping for first blood. I get 2 hits but only 1 penetrates and doesnt destroy it. This means I have to drop a manticore shell on it but I only get 1 shot off so only take it to its last hull point. I really want first blood so I put 4 missiles from a long fang squad into it, and fail to do anything. So I have to put my prescienced fangs into it to finally bring it down but at least I have first blood.

His army swarms forward, the wraiths ominously gliding through the jungle. One unit of wraiths with a destroyer lord makes a move towards my hunters. His two barges put some fire into my horde and he kills about 5. The wraiths charge my hunters and my overwatch does nothing despite my wolf banner but I do better in combat as I kill 2 wraiths before they strike. I then lose 5 marines in return and pass my LD test but I use my banner to re roll the 1 I rolled for my LD test to make sure I fail my test which allows me to escape combat and get some extra shots off next turn.

Turn 2:

My second pod and my vendettas both arrive. I get all my powers off, including the power which will make the other wraith squad with lord re roll their saves. My pod lands behind his wraiths without a lord who are out on my left flank. My original hunters auto rally and move to the edge of their ruins ready to shoot the squad who will have to re roll their saves.

I open up with jaws and it puts the lord and a wraith into the abyss. Then my lasguns open up, 72 shots thanks to first rank fire, second rank fire. Re rolling misses, him re rolling saves. That promptly wipes the wraiths out. So a great start to my turns shooting, I then put the rallied squads meltas at a barge but they fail to do anything, I drop a manticore shell on it but again only get 1 shot and he jinks out of the way of it. I put 8 missiles into the wraith squad that still have a lord and do no damage at all and then my drop pod squad put 16 bolt shells and 2 meltas into the last wraith unit and dont cause a single wound. Thankfully my vendettas do something and down 2 of those wraiths with their lascannons.

Frustratingly all 3 of his flyers arrive at once. One puts its shots into my manticores front armour, Im expecting a glance at best but he gets a glance and a pen and the pen typically takes off my main gun. The barges shoot at my horde again and kill a few more. His other two flyers strip 2 hull points from one of my vendettas. His immortals do fantastic and shoot down 6 of my 10 recently arrived hunters

He charges again with the wraiths and lord that had previously broken my other grey hunter squad and he wipes me out for the loss of a wraith. His lordless wraiths charge my other hunters but I do a wound for only 1 loss. His warlord and his wraiths consilodate out of jaws range as he wants to keep them safe so that they can threaten any push I make for the objective in the jungle.

Turn 3:

My vendettas get right in the face of one of his flyers and blow it away with their lascannons. With nothing else to really shoot at my horde and fangs pepper one of the barges untill they strip it down to a wreck. In combat I kill a wraith for the loss of 2 marines. This leaves two wounded wraiths against a lone marine.

In his turn his flyers shoot up my long fangs a little whilst his warlord and wraiths stay out of jaws range. His immortals consilodate their position on their objective. He only has 1 barge to shoot my vendettas and it is closest to my vendetta with full hull points that contain my special weapon team, unbelievably this one barge snap shotting actually kills my vendetta which kills 5 of the special weapon team in the explosion.

In combat my last grey hunter is chopped down.

Turn 4:

My vendetta leaves the table as I know I will need it next turn. My lone special weapon guy with a flamer prepares to sell his life by burning some immortals. My shooting goes at his 2 wounded wraiths to wipe out that unit as I cant afford him to get line breaker. My flamer guy gets 4 wounds on the immortals but doesnt kill any so he charges in, dodging a hail of shots to club an immortal to death in combat before being killed.

His flyers leave the table so he will be able to drop warriors on an objective next turn. His other warriors from the downed flyer move on to support the immortals. His barge shoots my long fangs finishing off one unit.

Turn 5:

My vendetta comes on and shoots the barge but only gets 1 glancing hit, my rockets get another but the barge survives.

He then brings both flyers in and drops 2 units of warriors on the jungle objective whilst his lord leaves his wraiths to go and hide so that his wraiths can make a move towards me for linebreaker without losing his warlord to jaws. His barge turns to shoot my flyer which I need to deal with his warriors and blows it away.

He wins if it ends this turn......the game continues.

Turn 6:

I get all my powers off and my jaws priest leaves my horde. My horde gun down one of his warrior squads easily as he has to re roll his saves. Then I put a rocket and heavy bolter[manticore] into his other unit, I kill the two in range of the objective and he makes a huge mistake by going to ground so even if i dont wipe them out if he doesnt get those guys back up I win the game. My storm bolter from a pod kills another just leaving 2. I have living lightning left but I fail my psychic test, then to make it worse all the warriors get back up. Its ok though as my priest is in charge range, who then fails his charge distance! and to make matters worse he somehow dies to overwatch!

His wraiths speed down my lines and after his flyers shoot me up a fair bit they charge into my horde but with overwatch, a mass of attacks, prescience and two characters I kill 3 wraiths before they strike and then they only kill a few.

I need the game to go on thanks to the terrible luck with my priest......it does!

Turn 7:

My manticore and lone long fang kill a warrior each, they then fail their LD test and run far enough from the objective so that they cant take it! he still has the draw if his wraiths can survive as they will have linebreaker and they are contesting my objective but they are easily overwhelmed.

In his turn he needs to panic my command squad and horde but he doesnt quite kill enough of the horde to make them take a test so I take the win.

Result - Warhound Victory, 4-3.

Post Game Thoughts:

This was a lot like the first game we had between these armies but in that one I was winning on 5+6 and he snuck it on 7. I think the second game was a bit of an anomaly, my vendettas killed nothing, both long fang units fled the table and all my shooting killed about 1 wraith. This was tense all the way through and I thought it had got away from me when my priest failed to get lightning off, the warriors holding the objective got back up and then I also fail a charge. What made it even worse was that I hadnt been rolling to get my lost wound back in previous turns thanks to endurance. We rolled it and I passed the it will not die roll which would have meant he would have needed to put a lot of fire into my priest, leaving way more of my horde alive to kill the wraiths in a turn and easily shoot down his other warrior squad in turn 7 but it was too late to go back by the time we remembered but thankfully it didnt cost me thanks to his failed Ld test.

I knew it had to go long when I wasnt able to deal with his flyers as scythes just let warriors take any objective they want no matter where it is on the table, it was annoying how easily he was dropping my flyers with his barges needing to snap shot.

I could do with a defense line but I just cant fit it into the list.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33