News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

What do you least like to see...

Started by Arguleon-veq, January 18, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

What specific unit or unit combo do you least like to see across the table from you at the start of a game? Something that you know your army will have nightmares dealing with.

For me these days it is 6 Wraiths led by a Destroyer Lord with Warscythe, Semp Weave and Mindshackle Scarabs. It is an utter nightmare to shoot down, very mobile and devestating in combat. If Jaws of the World Wolf doesnt go off for me then I have a very hard time dealing with them as the Lord just shrugs off my missile hits.

Back when I was running a wraithwall I hated seeing TH/SS termies in Land Raiders as if my Falcons with Fire Dragons in got shot down those Termies could just roll up and smash my 400+ point unit with ease. I would be desperatly ramming the land raiders with my skimmers to try and stop them.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

The Man They Call Jayne

A Vendetta wing filled with Plasma Vets.

When you have enough AT that it becomes AP, you know you have too much of it.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

salamut2202

Haemonculus lead blaster born and blaster kabaites in a million and two venoms. The razor wings just add to the insult.*

*a.k.a. The  list my girlfriend runs.

Chicop76

Archon, Eldrad, Harlequin combo. I've found that it is annoying behind wraithguard, groteque, or the dark eldar beast squad.

crisis_vyper

Imperial Guard infantry blobs behind an Aegis defense line. Do I need to say anything else?

I just have very bad memories in many tournaments where my first opponent is always a guy who is a pure blob guard army. 200+ models I tell you.........200+ models.......)at least that is what I thought it is).

knightperson

Anything flyer-heavy. The most common ones are guard with Vendettas or the Necron Flying Circus.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Wargamer

I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Walrus Man

A tooled up Sanguinary Guard squad with Dante and/or a sanguinary priest in tow. They're resilient enough to soak up a round or two of shooting, speedy enough to get across the board in two turns, and have enough attacks to slice up my poor fire warriors like fettuccine. :-\
Steampunk Imperial Guard project log.

Walrus Man, Walrus Man, does what ever a walrus can!
[
url=http://secondsphere.org/index.php/topic,129134.0.html]Are you an Aussie and interested in going to an Official 2S Meet up? Then check out

Fhanados

Anyone using Dreadknights and Vendettas in the same army. Both are cheap pointswise, can get in your face and are a pain to get rid of.

Chris

As I found out the other week, A necron overlord with mindlock scarabs.... Pain in the ass!

Other than that, fliers... Any in general at the moment are a pain. I have nothing really to take them out with...

Lord Sotek

Facing a Black Templars drop pod list with a Tau army that one time wasn't especially fun, but I don't really find too much to complain about in that.

No... What I absolutely most strongly hate to see across the table from me or any 40k gamer I respect, is when I see a list that seems rather blatantly chosen for the sake of its perceived power or some combo/gimmick. I'd be willing to face the cheesiest list of all time, so long as I really knew it ultimately was fitting with the fluff, theme, and story of the armie(s) the player had chosen.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Tempest Six Two

Like Isaac said, people who front up with the latest and greatest 'Netlist' as built by the power gaming fluff-ignoring WAAC chumps from the internets.

I took on several Razorspam BA lists in the last edition, and laughed hard when I saw several early 6th ed forum threads about how it was now 'nerfed'. Boo hoo, cry me a river. BA would never field something like this in reality (well, as real as the 40K universe gets).

My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Arguleon-veq

BA field razorback heavy mechanized fast assault forces pretty often in the fluff, its something they are quite big on compared to other chapters. Even Salamanders and Dark Angels, who are both quite well known as boots on the ground/infantry heavy have big fluff pieces of them using razorback heavy mechanized forces, the Dark Angels in seige of vraks and the Salamanders in their own trilogy [tomb of fire is it?].

Thats the problem when using statements like 'I'd be willing to face the cheesiest list of all time, so long as I really knew it ultimately was fitting with the fluff, theme, and story of the armie(s) the player had chosen.'

Thats your interpretation of the fluff, for all you know they could be more well read in the fluff than you, or have their own theme that they have written loads of fluff for etc. Or be basing it on established fluff you have never even heard of. The problem with using fluff like this is that you can find fluff supporting almost any army build.

My 5th Ed Wolf List was based soley on it being the very cheapest army available to me at the time. I got a full army for
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on January 22, 2013, 06:36:48 PM
BA field razorback heavy mechanized fast assault forces pretty often in the fluff, its something they are quite big on compared to other chapters. Even Salamanders and Dark Angels, who are both quite well known as boots on the ground/infantry heavy have big fluff pieces of them using razorback heavy mechanized forces, the Dark Angels in seige of vraks and the Salamanders in their own trilogy [tomb of fire is it?].

Thats the problem when using statements like 'I'd be willing to face the cheesiest list of all time, so long as I really knew it ultimately was fitting with the fluff, theme, and story of the armie(s) the player had chosen.'

Thats your interpretation of the fluff, for all you know they could be more well read in the fluff than you, or have their own theme that they have written loads of fluff for etc. Or be basing it on established fluff you have never even heard of. The problem with using fluff like this is that you can find fluff supporting almost any army build.

My 5th Ed Wolf List was based soley on it being the very cheapest army available to me at the time. I got a full army for

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on January 22, 2013, 06:36:48 PM

You misunderstand me. My judgement is based on whether I'm convinced the other player is bringing something they truly feel is in line with their fluff and the 40k universe. My own ideas on what do and don't fit well with the 'verse play into that somewhat, but what I'm gauging is ultimately whether or not the player's reasons for and attitude towards their list seem honest/genuine, or whether they seem to have just slapped it together because the Internet says doing X Y and X will make them unbeatable.

The power of the list isn't what strictly matters to me. It's the sense I get from the player of their intent with it.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my