News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

homemade chaos character

Started by Alpha_Wolf, June 28, 2012, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha_Wolf

these are pictures of a model I have been working on as part of a project to make a chaos character for my friend's army. the details of this process can be found here http://secondsphere.org/index.php/topic,148161.msg2479173.html#msg2479173

Those of you who decided to skip the link will want to know that he is a Nurgle chaos lord on a homebrewn mount. For this project I wanted to really work my texturing skills, and thought I did a pretty good job. I followed DEF Knight's suggestion and started with a chaos knights kit, and began the process there. I already knew I needed to rework the horse, because he was supposed to ride a wolf... that didn't happen, and immediately found that I don't like the majority of the horses tails. so I made a new one, and then proceeded to make all of the chain mail, along with a lot of leather, look more fleshy, and rotten. I also chose a horse head with a skull on it and tried to turn that into the actual head of the horse. the standard bearer only really has a custom flag, which I believe has a reasonable attempt of a mark of nurgle on it.

Overall I am quite pleased, but now the pictures

Edit: Thantos - Fixed your image sizes,
[img height=800]http://www.imagesite.com/imagename[/img]
will resize it ;)
Quote from:  H.P. LovecraftThat is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange strange aeons even death may die.
Keep this in mind, mortal fools, the Hive Mind can wait forever.

Will's on Fire

Looks very cool! The green stuff work is very good. :D

Might want to resize the pictures to 800x600 though so they fit on  screen in a much more observable way!

- Will

Alpha_Wolf

Thanks!

is there a way to resize them inside the code? it'd be a pain to have to re-upload them, not that I won't. you're right I think they're way too big now that I can see them on screen.

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Alpha_Wolf on June 28, 2012, 04:24:36 PM
Thanks!

is there a way to resize them inside the code? it'd be a pain to have to re-upload them, not that I won't. you're right I think they're way too big now that I can see them on screen.

[img height=800 width=600][/img]

That should work.

- Will

Narric

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on June 28, 2012, 05:27:12 PM
Quote from: Alpha_Wolf on June 28, 2012, 04:24:36 PM
Thanks!

[img height=800 width=600][/img]

That should work.

- Will
Just using Width 800 would be best. Using both Height and width can cause images to appear stretched, or not at all.

From what I can see easily. Its a very excellently made conversion, and I bet it will look supreme with a coat of paint.

Masked Thespian

90% of the model is good.  I like it.  However, about that other 10%...

- The mould line running down the side of the horn on the helmet is very visible, and will become even more so once you paint it.  I highly recommend removing it.

- I'm not a fan of Cavalry bases for 40k models; consider putting him on a 40mm (Terminator/Crisis Suit) round base or a Bike base instead.

- The tail looks unfinished and you can easily see fingerprints in it.  Whilst you may want a smooth effect tail, you probably need to go back over it and do it again, because right now it looks a bit naff compared to the rest of the model.

One quick question; what box set did the Icon bearer's right arm (with the massive cleaver) come from?
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Alpha_Wolf

I love criticism, it always helps me cover things i've missed.

Quote from: Masked Thespian on June 29, 2012, 07:28:32 AM
- The mould line running down the side of the horn on the helmet is very visible, and will become even more so once you paint it.  I highly recommend removing it.

Easy fix, will do. along with the gap on the front of the horses armor.

- I'm not a fan of Cavalry bases for 40k models; consider putting him on a 40mm (Terminator/Crisis Suit) round base or a Bike base instead.

I absolutely agree, but I don't think I actually have any spare bases. sadly this is the only base big enough for me to use on him.

- The tail looks unfinished and you can easily see fingerprints in it.  Whilst you may want a smooth effect tail, you probably need to go back over it and do it again, because right now it looks a bit naff compared to the rest of the model.

Actually I had forgotten about that. when I built the tail, I knew it needed repairs, but I couldn't work it because of the fact that it was falling off, then I forgot about it. so in fact I suppose you're correct, and it is unfinished. rebuilding the entire tail might be difficult due to the internal support, and the way it attaches. would it perhaps be better to use some green stuff to fix the shape and then sand everything down?

One quick question; what box set did the Icon bearer's right arm (with the massive cleaver) come from?

the cleaver is also from the knights of chaos kit. after I saw it I knew I was going to use it, just not where. here fit beautifully. the entire kit comes with a ton of really awsome bitz that could really snazz up a chaos army I think, particularly with a lot of one handed weapons that terminators would love.

And thanks Thantos for fixing the image sizes, much appreciated.

Masked Thespian

Quote from: Alpha_Wolf on June 29, 2012, 02:40:42 PM

Actually I had forgotten about that. when I built the tail, I knew it needed repairs, but I couldn't work it because of the fact that it was falling off, then I forgot about it. so in fact I suppose you're correct, and it is unfinished. rebuilding the entire tail might be difficult due to the internal support, and the way it attaches. would it perhaps be better to use some green stuff to fix the shape and then sand everything down?

I think that would probably be your best bet.  If you're looking for a smooth finish, then try "burnishing" (for want of a better term) your green stuff before it sets with a damp modelling tool to smooth it out.  I think you might get a better result with that and with sanding.

Quote from: Alpha_Wolf on June 29, 2012, 02:40:42 PM

the cleaver is also from the knights of chaos kit. after I saw it I knew I was going to use it, just not where. here fit beautifully. the entire kit comes with a ton of really awsome bitz that could really snazz up a chaos army I think, particularly with a lot of one handed weapons that terminators would love.

Thanks for that.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Alpha_Wolf

here's the fixed and painted version of the lord, figured I'd let my friend paint the standard bearer.

I'm pretty happy with it. And for those of you who may be wondering if I'm a terrible painter or what, the gold looks sloppy on purpose, I wanted it to have somewhat of an unorganised look to it. especially since I knew thar I couldn't do delicate linew with this already assembled and everything.

Thantos

Nice one! Only one thing scarier than a Chaos Lord, and thats a Chaos Lord mounted on a dinosaur!! ;)

Have some Bonus Karma Fortnight Karma! :D