News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Zealot Home-brew

Started by Narric, September 24, 2013, 10:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Needing something to fill my time, so I've figured I'm going to try and create 40k Rules for the miniatures produced by Zealot Miniatures.

This is purely for fun, and any/all critism is appreaciated.
I'll essentially just follow the Product list, which means starting with the M2 Assault Droids:

Bio:
The machinesmiths of Ios found, after much trial and error, that very few of the aliens infesting their colony could withstand a six metre tall battle droid armed with a giant chainsaw. The solution to further combating the aliens, which resulted in the construction of the new M2 Assault Droid proved satisfyingly straightforward; add another giant chainsaw!
The Hazardous Operations pattern mech was developed to incorporate better sensory equipment and a more advanced AI.

Zealot M2 Droids as MC
Zealot M2 Droid                               130Pts per model
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit Type
Assault Droid Variant
2+
Monstrous Creature
Hazardous Operations Variant
2+
Monstrous Creature

Unit composition:
- 1 to 3 Assault Droids or Haz Op Droids.
- Only one variant allowed per squad.

Wargear:
Assault Droid Variant

• Two Mecha-Assault Blades
    Each blade confers +1 Attack in Close Combat (bonus included in profile). This extra attack is lost if the weapon is swapped out.
    If the Droid has two Mecha-Assault Blades, it re-rolls To Hit rolls in Close Combat.
  • Carnage Protocols
    The Assault Droid has the Shred universal special rule.

• Improved Sensors
    The Haz Op Droid has the Night Vision universal special rule. It may also re-roll to Hit rolls for Shooting Attacks.
Special Rules:
Assault Droid Variant

• Acute Senses
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Fearless

• Acute Senses
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Fearless
Options:

• The Haz Op Droid may replace each of its Mecha-Assult Blades with a VX-11 Minigun for +20pts each. The VX-11 Minigun has the following weapon profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    36"64Heavy 5
  • The Squad may purchase Feel no Pain (5+) special rule for 20pts per model

Zealot M2 Droids as Walkers
Zealot M2 Droid                               130Pts per model
   WSBSSFront
Armour
Side
RearIAHull PointsUnit Type
Assault Droid Variant
Vehicle (Walker)
Vehicle (Walker)

Unit composition:
- 1 to 3 Assault Droids or Haz Op Droids.
- Only one variant allowed per squad.

Wargear:
Assault Droid Variant

Each blade confers +1 Attack in Close Combat (bonus included in profile). This extra attack is lost if the weapon is swapped out.
    If the Droid has two Mecha-Assault Blades, it re-rolls To Hit rolls in Close Combat.
  • Carnage Protocols
    The Assault Droid has the Shred universal special rule.

• Improved Sensors
    The Haz Op Droid has the Night Vision universal special rule. It may also re-roll To Hit rolls for Shooting Attacks.
Special Rules:
Assault Droid Variant

• Acute Senses
  • Move Through Cover
  • Smash

• Acute Senses
  • Move Through Cover
  • Smash
Options:

• The Haz Op Droid may replace each of its Mecha-Assult Blades with a VX-11 Minigun for +15pts each. The VX-11 Minigun has the following weapon profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    36"64Heavy 5
  • The Squad may purchase the following (The squad must all be upgraded the same):
    - Extra Armour for 10pts per model
    - Searchlights for 5pts per model
    - Smoke Launchers for 5pts per model

[Edit]
Adjustments made on 25/09

The Man They Call Jayne

T6, 2+ save AND 3+FNP? So, basically unkillable? And TL BS5? And only 130/160 points? It shits all over the Riptide then.

And the assault version is WS5 with re-rolls to hit and re-roll to wound AND 2d6 against Armour, with maybe 7 attacks on the charge? or 4 at S10.

Just. . .WHY?

I mean yeah, it will kill everything, but it is broken as all hell.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Lets start broken, and fix it better? :P

I was mostly just getting some first thoughts down. I guess I was intentionally making "The Stupid" :P

The Man They Call Jayne

Start be dropping all the Twin Linking and stuff. Keep Shred on the Assault version, but drop Armourbane, if this thing is supposed to be cutting swathes through alien hordes, its not going to be fighting tanks. WS3 and BS4 for the shooty version. WS4 and BS3 for the choppy version. Make FNP at 5+ as an option. OR the option for a shield at 4++. One or the other.

Minigun should be 20 points at 5 shots. Lose a shot for 15 points, makes it a really souped up Burst Cannon.

Narric

I'd say thats all reasonable suggestions. I'll go make the changes.

I didn't include other upgrade options beyond the Minigun, due to there currently being no other options the Droids can take :P

I'm glad you didn't suggest IWND. Comapring that to FNP, IWND is a bit OP and sort of un unfluffy for a machine. Nid Monsters work best with that USR.

The next unit I shall be doing is Racknar Warrior and Birthing Pod.

Narric

Alright, next unit ^_^

Racknar Warrior Bio:
The world of Ios is plagued by the Alien Racknar. They are a vicious race with biologically modified warriors and strange grafted weaponry. The basic warrior is a match for most humans, grafted to a shard cannon, which fires toxic crystalline shards along with claws and teeth which make them brutal assault troops.
Racknar Warrior
Racknar Warrior Brood                               50Pts per model
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit Type
Racknar Warrior
3+
Infantry

Unit composition:
- 1 to 5 Racknar Warriors

Bio-grafts:

• Chitinous Carapace
    Confers a 3+ Armour Save
  • Shard Cannon
    The Shard Cannon is a terrifying weapon graft, firing toxic crystalline shards at incredible speed. It has the following profile
    RangeStrengthAPType
    18"24Assault 1, Poisoned (4+)
  • Racknar Claw
    The Claw may be used as either a Powerfist or a Power weapon (treat as Sword) in every close combat. This must be declared to your opponent before any rolls are made.
Special Rules:

• Bulky
  • Fearless
  • Fearsome Beasts
    Simply put, its easier to put this as one rule :P
    Racknar Warriors have the Furious Charge and Hammer of Wrath Special Rules.
Options:
Each Brood may be given one of the following upgrades:

• Night Hunters (+5pts per model) - The Brood gains the Night Vision usr.
  • Tank Ravagers (+15pts per model) - The Broods' Shard Cannons' weapon profile is replaced with the following:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    18"81Assault 1, Tank Hunters
  • Pyrothian Brood (+10pts per model) - The Broods' Shard Cannons' weapon profile is replaced with the following:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    Template53Assault 2
  • Immortalis Strain (+20pts per model) - The Brood gains the It Will Not Die usr. Its Initiative is reduced by -1.
  • Stalkers (+10pts per model) - The Brood gains the Stealth and Shrouded usr. The Broods' Shard Cannons' range is reduced to 12" .
The Brood may take Birthing Pod to enter the battlefield.

Racknar Birthing Pod Bio:
The Racknar upon the world of Ios are spawned in great fleshy pods that erupt like fungi from the nutrient rich ground and grow to maturity in a matter of days.
 Racknar Birthpod
Racknar Birthing Pod                               75Pts
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit Type
Pod
X
4+
Infantry

Bio-grafts:

• Chitin Armour
    Confers a 4+ Armour Save
  • Lasher Tendrils
    While the pod isn't a huge threat, it can still cause an inconvienience to hapless passersby. Its fleshy lasher tendrils able to strike unsuspecting foes. Lasher Tendrils have the following two profiles.
    PhaseRangeStrengthAPType
    Shooting18"36Assault 2D6
    Assault-user6Melee
    In combat, Lasher Tendrils target every opponent in base contact with the Birthing Pod.

Special Rules:

• Fearless
  • Counter-Attack
  • Rooted
    The Birthing Pod is rooted to the spot, and cannot move, ever. It is always counted as gone to ground in the enemy shooting phase. There is also a benefit to this. It can absorb nutrients around it, allowing itself to heal rapidly. It has the Feel No Pain (5+) special rule.
  • Rapid-Growth
    When an area infested with Racknar is under attack, birthing pods have nutrients forced into them, making them mature faster. Follow the normal rules for Deep Strike, however Birthing Pods may only be placed in open-ground, and never scatter.
  • Birthing Pods
    A Brood that has purchased a Birthing Pod, enters the game on the same turn as the pod. It is placed in base contact with it after Deep Striking.

The Man They Call Jayne

The warriors, nothing jumps out as an obvious problem. Few wording issues. When taking the Immortalis Strain, they lose -1 Int. So they become Int 5 instead of 4. Imortalis seems like it would be better off on the Birthing Pod instead of the FnP it gets, and give these guys FnP instead.

As for the Pod, I would suggest making it a Fortification type purchase. You buy it, and it is there. It can be used like a DE Webway Portal for a single unit of troops to arrive from Reserve. Things that never scatter just shouldn't exist, there should always be risk. Giving it the It Will Not Die instead of FnP makes more sense considering how you have described it healing itself.

Narric

Oops, on the Int ^_^;; I intended them to go down to Int 3.

The sounds good for the Birthing Pod. Hadn't considered a "Webway" approach, as in my mind it was one pod per brood deal, like a Drop Pod, but then RL women aren't limited to one pregnancy..... :P

I did consider IWND on the Pod, but at T8 it seemed a little OP, and also redundant as it only has one wound. It would be a player turn dead before it had a chance to use IWND. Maybe I could add 1 or 2 wounds to it?

The Man They Call Jayne

Drop T to 7 give it 3 wounds. Autocannons and Assault Cannon, hell even lucky units of Heavy Bolters will chew through it anyway. It it is going to be a fortificaction you could make it 3+ and get away with it. Bump it to 90 points to make up for it. It is essentially a tank.

If you wanted to make it a bit more practical you could roll a d3 at the start of the game, that is the number of broods you can have arrive from it over the course of the game, one per reserve phase, declaring which one will come from it at the start of the game. If the pod is destroyed before they arrive, they suffer -1 to their reserve rolls to come in normally.

Thantos

Great job ;D Its nice seeing some of the minis get a sort of 'in game benchmark', adds character.
The Warrior is mounted on a terminator sized base in the pics, so about the size of a marine. I should do some scale pics ;)

Narric

Back to the next two ^_^

Had to make my own bio for Mea-anetta :P

Gun-Witch Mea-anetta
Bio: A powerful witch. She has survived amongst the citizens of Ios for 500 years, acting in the shadows of the dark Capitol City; Vidrig. Her powers allow her to control her physique to a high degree, earning her the title of shapeshifter among young Witch covens. This grants her ferocious combat prowess in close quarters, but when the foe is out of her reach, she relies on her Dark Energy-infused Pistols.
Spoiler
Gun-witch Mea-anetta                              170Pts per model
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit Type
Mea-anetta
6+
Infantry (Character, Unique)

Unit composition:
- 1 Mea-anetta (Unique)

Wargear:

• Dark Energy Pistols
    Mea-anetta has four pistols at her disposal. She is a highly skilled gunslinger, and can easily use all four to devastating effect.
    They are treated as a single weapon, and have the following profiles for shooting, and in combat:
    ModeRangeStrengthAPType
    Shooting12"53Assault 4, Shred
    Melee-53Melee, Shred
  • Witch-weave
    This is a special suit which enhances her physcial abilities, further strengthening her already supernatural speed.
    It confers a 6+ Armour save, and a 3+ Invulnerable save.
  • Blackglass Optics
    Mea-anetta is immune to the "Blind" Special Rule. Weapons with the Blind USR can still wound her however.
Special Rules:

• Adamantium Will
  • Counter-Attack
  • Fearless
  • Fleet

any suggestions to help with the wording of the Blackglass optics would be appreciated :P

The Hopper
Bio: Hoppers are 20% Lizard, 10% Dog, 20% T-Rex and 50% Mouth.
Spoiler
Hopper Herd                              40Pts per model
Hopper Herds are a Fast Attack choice for an army chosen from Codex: Orks
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit Type
Hopper
-
-
Beast

Unit composition:
- 1 to 7 Hoppers

Wargear:

• Big Teeth
    Need I say more?
    They have the following profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    -user3Melee
Special Rules:

• Furious Charge
  • Rampage
  • Feel no Pain (4+)
  • Hammer of Wrath

The Man They Call Jayne

She is immune to the effects of the Blind USR, however the weapon with that rule may still wound her.

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on October 08, 2013, 06:46:23 PM
She is immune to the effects of the Blind USR, however the weapon with that rule may still wound her.
I kinda derped with that one :P

Anything else that seems off?

InsaneTD

Assault 2 templates on the warriors? Ouch!

Narric

Kinda forgot about this for a while :P Time for a couple new entries ;)

Warrior Priest
Bio: This guy isn't your average preacher. Don't expect long boring sermons and clouds of foul smelling incense. As he blesses troops with his robotic arm, he holds a vicious chainsaw at rest, and by the looks of him; he knows how to use it!

A warrior priest combines the roles of a commanding officer and a spiritual leader on the battlefield. They administer religious battlefield blessings and are responsible for the morale well-being of their flock.

Spoiler
Warrior Pirest                              125Pts per model
May be Taken as a HQ choice for an army chosen from Codex: Imperial Guard
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit Type
Warrior Priest
5+
Infantry (Character)

Unit composition:
- 1 Warrior Priest

Wargear:

• Laspistol
  • Close Combat Weapon
  • Sigil of the Priesthood
  • Carapace Armour
  • Frag Grenades
  • Krak Grenades
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • Spirituality and Command
    When the Warrior Priest joins a friendly unit, they are inspired to great feats of valour. The unit gains the Feel no Pain (5+), and Furious Charge special rules.
Options
The Warrior Priest may swap his Laspistol and/or Close combat weapon for one of the following:
- Lasgun/Shotgun for free
- Bolt Pistol/Boltgun/SM Shotgun for 5pts
- Storm Bolter/Hot-shot Laspistol/Hot-shot Lasgun for 10pts
- Inferno Pistol/Plasma Pistol/Power Weapon for 15pts
- Powerfist for 25pts

The Warrior Priest may take Bionics, confuring the Feel no Pain (4+) special rule for 10pts

The Warrior Priest may take any of the following:
- Meltabombs for 5pts
- Camo Cloak for 15pts

Landmines
Bio: Does this really need a Bio?
Spoiler
Landmines                              100Pts
This is classed as a Fortification

At the start of the game, before deployment, nominate three pieces of Area-terrain outside of your opponents deployment zone to be laced with Landmines, and place landmine terrain pieces accordingly.

When a unit (friend or foe) enters the area terrain, it suffers a Str:D6 AP:6 hit for each model of the unit. Vehicles are hit on their rear armour. After this, remove all Landmines from the terrain.

These effects are in addition to the effects and bonuses of the terrain piece.

If the terrain piece was classed as ruins, the structure collapses and becomes a pile of rubble.

Landmines are a lot trickier to work on than an actual unit or model :P