News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Is this Legit?

Started by Narric, February 11, 2014, 11:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I'm probably going to feel a fool one or another with this, but I've sumbled across something peculiar on eBay:
Spoiler
Limited Edition Chrome Plated Space Marines Sprue

http://r.ebay.com/nAKIOO

My first thought is that Plating should/couldn't work on a plastic sprue, do to it using electric charge between what is being plated and the metal that the object is being plated with. IF it isn't Plating, then it must be a spray, which means the product is not legit at all.

Does anybody have a better idea of what it going on here?

Chris

I'm pretty sure I saw these floating around a few years back... They are 'legit'... Its not actually chrome, but is some kind of different plastic if i'm not wrong...

Nothing new though... Thankfully....

Tom

Quote from: Narric on February 11, 2014, 11:31:46 PM
My first thought is that Plating should/couldn't work on a plastic sprue, do to it using electric charge between what is being plated and the metal that the object is being plated with. IF it isn't Plating, then it must be a spray, which means the product is not legit at all.
It's possible to plate something without the process being electroplating which is what you're thinking of. At least if you consider plating to mean covering in a layer of metal.

One other method I can think of that you're very familiar with (even if you don't realise it) is sputtering which can deposit a layer of metal on a substance by bombarding the surface with ions. It a method for making circuit boards by depositing a thin layer of conductor on a substrate that then has tracks etched into it. It's also used to prepare biological samples for Scanning Electron Microscopy (those cool pictures of tiny insects and pollen spores). I guess that you could use something similar to plate a plastic surface but you'd have to make sure your system didn't melt the plastic.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth if you ask me, even if there's an easy way to do it why would you want a chrome-plated push-fit space marine?

Masked Thespian

They're legit.  In theory.

GW gave away a bunch of these during their 30th anniversary celebrations several years ago.  Events were held in stores and these were some kind of prizes.  I never grabbed any myself, but I did want one.  Looks like someone's cashing in on their good luck.

In theory, they could be fakes.  But GW did give some of these away at a point in their history.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Sorck

I also remember seeing them. They were given out at our local GW for a while IIRC.

Not that somebody couldn't have faked them but they were once a GW product.