News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

White Templars (after cleansing some enemies of man)

Started by Tom, February 16, 2014, 09:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So I think my Templars used to be a little boring:

Nothing outright wrong with them - especially as they're the army I paint fast for fun and so I can practice new things on them - but they needed something to give them more character.

I also felt the need to learn to do weathering, practice freehand and paint blood:

Honorable Brother Sigurd might need to turn his powersword up to vaporise that blood before it sticks.

I've tried to scale up the weathering effects for Venerable Brother Weland and a Rhino as well:

Now it's all very rough (it's supposed to be right?) and it's the first time I've tried this sort of thing so I think I've overdone some things and I'm very interested to know what you think.

Chris

They look excellent! I love blood! I reckon you've nailed that bit!

My only point would be perhaps the red under armour... It might just be the pictures, but it looks just slightly too bright for me. (mind you, I prefer dark armour as it is)

Jonagon

really nice, I think you've pulled off a lovely effect especially the damage grey damage (pencil lead?)

The red does now look a little flat by contrast I think but I think you achieved your goals admirably :).

Thantos

Nice job :D is that Tamywhatsit Clear Red for the blood?
I found if you use a melted plastic flying stand, it creates lovely gore blobs to cover in blood :P Some really old minis from my marines, can see best in first pic.

Spoiler

Are you using a sponge for weathering?
+1 Karma for some great marines :D

Tom

Thanks for the positive responses guys, I'm glad you like the blood and weathering.

Quote from: Chris on February 16, 2014, 03:49:35 PM
My only point would be perhaps the red under armour... It might just be the pictures, but it looks just slightly too bright for me. (mind you, I prefer dark armour as it is)
What's this!!? I suggest you make the red brighter on your chaplain and you suggest I make the red darker on my marines! I'm having none of it. (Seriously - you're probably right and I think next time I'm going to shade the reds a little more. I've recently spent a lot of time working on my techniques for painting red and it comes out with more contrast now).

The grey weathering is charadon granite applied with a sponge (+10 points for Thantos!). For the bigger patches on the vehicles I used an old brush for the main damage and a sponge to make the edges rougher, then it was boltgun metal in the middle of some patches which I think is why you guessed it was pencil lead Jonagon.

The blood is actually a method I noted down ages ago from someone on Tau Online (I can't remember how to spell his user name, it was something like Murcharite and he had some really gory pre-heresy world-eaters). It's just different red mixes and a gloss finish. The melted plastic looks really good Thantos, how easy is it to melt?

Thantos

Its quite easy, flying stands actually set on fire like a candle. So light it, blow it out, dab on model and pull away to create a string. Clip it and cleanup, job done :P
There is probably easier ways, but i like fire! ;) CLEANSE AND PURGE BROTHERS!

Ahh yea, i remember Murchantkite (sp) and those world eaters :P