News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1.5k Imperial Guard [No GW]

Started by Narric, February 07, 2014, 09:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Trying to make a highly mobile IG force. Hopefully one that can also handle near any list thrown at it.

Spoiler
HQ
Company Command Squad – 137pts
Commander – Boltgun
Squad – Medi-pack, Missile Team, 2x Grenade Launcher, Astropath

Elites
2x Storm Trooper Squadron (5) = 210pts (105pts each)
Sergeant – Boltgun
Squad – 2x Meltagun

Troops
Infantry Platoon = 536pts total
Spoiler
Platoon Command = 152pts
Commander – Boltgun
Squad – 2x Plasma gun, 2x Meltagun
Chimera – Heavy Bolter Turret, Extra Armour

Infantry Squad = 67pts (Mounted in first Valkyrie)
Sergeant – Bolt Pistol
Squad – Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad = 137pts
Sergeant – Bolt Pistol
Squad – Plasma Gun
Chimera – Heavy Bolter Turret, Extra Armour

2x Heavy Weapons Team – 180pts (90pts each)
3x Missile Teams

Veteran Squad = 115pts (Mounted in second Valkyrie)
Sergeant – Shotgun,
Squad – 3x Grenade Launcher, Grenadiers, Shotguns

Fast Attack
Armoured Sentinel Squad – 205pts
3x Sentinels with Missile Launchers & Camo Netting

Valkyrie Carrier – 145pts
Lascannon, Multi-Rocket Pod

Total = 1493pts

Arguleon-veq

I think its quite nice really. Just a few little things.

Id always keep the Multi Laser on the Chimera, that S6 is handy.

I think there are way too many points invested in the Company Command that aren't really doing much. Id just have the missile and the Astropath. The Medipack wont really save them from heavy fire anyway and you want them to be safe and at long range so the Grenade Launchers wont really come into play.

I wouldn't mix weapons like that on the Platoon Command. Id just take 4 Melta.

Then for the Grenadiers I wouldn't take Grenade Launchers but I get that they are probably more of a fluffy unit. Still, with the points saved above id upgrade at least 1 or 2 of those Grenade Launchers into more Plasma Guns.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

I'll explain my reasoning for the options I took:

- Heavy Bolters on Chimeras was for better AP, at a slight sacrifice of hitting power.
- Grenade Launchers on CCS was to complement the Missile Launcher if enemy forces got too close. The're also versatile at taking out light-armour Vehicles and Infantry, whilst also threatening horde-like armies with Blast weapons. They're essentially to be used as the miniature Missile Launchers they are.
- The Medi-pack was admitantly a thrown in choice to represent Bionics or some such within the unit. In hindsight a flawed idea due to losing the SR when the Medic dies :(
- Mixed weapons because I like the model pieces ^_^;;
- Grenade Launchers on the Vets wasn't becuase of naming :P It was for the same reasons as inclusion to the CCS. Due to them being assualt weapons, they add a little extra oomf to the Shotguns which would take enemy forces down through weight of fire.

I'll re-write the list with your suggestions in mind later :)

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

I agree with Arguleon with most points.

Multilasers are easily the best weapon choice on Chimeras. The sacrificing of Strength for AP is not worth it - not when you've got plenty of AP5 weapons scattered around your list (and a few AP4 grenade launchers too). The Chimeras would be ideal to take out enemy transports, leaving your S8-9 weapons to focus on that hammerhead/land raider. Also...most people with a 4+ armour save would still be using cover when they can, so that loss in strength could reduce it to a 5+. And S6 is better against a larger variety of list as it wounds marine/ork/necron armies on 2s.

I'd drop the medic in the CCS too. By the looks of your list, you wont be giving orders to many squads (they'll be flying left-right and centre with chimeras or valks or deepstriking stormies) which means it's not a horrible loss if the fire is being directed to the CCS instead of a stormtrooper squad or a valk, for example.

I dont mind the mixed weapons on the PCS, or the grenade launchers in the CCS. I dont mind grenade launchers, and the mixed weapons mean you can pump a few good AT shots and some S7 AT against some light stuff, and at the same time throw 6 AP2 hits at some termies in the next turn - so good for your all-corners ideology :)

Veteran squad could use some more expensive weapons apart from GLs though. You're paying for a higher BS and giving them worse weapons than the BS3 guardsmen holding the meltas and plasmas ;)

Cyrus
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Narric

Made a new list before I saw your post Naser ^_^;;

Spoiler
HQ
Company Command Squad – 170pts
Commander – Power Weapon
Squad – Missile Team, 2x MeltaGun, Astropath, Master of Ordnance, Regimental Standard

Commissar Yarrick – 185pts

Elites
2x Storm Trooper Squadron (5) = 230pts (115pts each)
Sergeant – Power Weapon
Squad – 2x Meltagun

Troops
Veteran Squad = 115pts
Squad – Missile Team, Shotguns, 2x Plasma Gun

Veteran Squad = 115pts
Squad – Missile team, Shotguns, 2x Plasma Gun

Veteran Squad = 110pts
Squad – Missile Team, Shotguns, 3x Meltagun

Veteran Squad = 110pts
Squad – Missile Team, Shotguns,  3x Meltagun

Fast Attack
Armoured Sentinel Squad – 175pts
3x Sentinels with Missile Launchers

Total = 1500pts

Changelist:
- In CCS I dropped the Boltgun for Power Weapon, Medi-pack and Grenade Launchers for two Meltaguns, Master of Ordnance, and Regimental Standard
- Upgraded Storm Trooper Boltgun to a Power Weapon
- complete re-did my Troops, going for Veterans with Missile Launchers, and either Double Plasma or Triple Melta. Shotguns for the usual mass-firepower and assault. In hindsight, may leave Lasguns on PG squads as PGs are Rapid Fire.
- Dropped the Camo Netting on Sentinals, as I will probably move the squad around, so wouldn't be able to get the Stealth.
- Lastly I included Yarrick, mostly becuase I couldn't think of anything to add, and couldn't decide what Doctrine would suit the Vets best.

Plan is to take most advantage of cover whilst advancing, Sentinals Flanking and targeting largest threat within range and sight. Will probably put Plasma-Vets into the Valks for later in game mayhem, and have the Melta-teams just be a nuisance. Storm Troopers DS and raise hell in enemy deployment.

I did consider an Officer of the Fleet, but that is only really useful if you know your opponent is using reserves heavily.

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on February 23, 2014, 11:00:55 PM
I agree with Arguleon with most points.

Multilasers are easily the best weapon choice on Chimeras. The sacrificing of Strength for AP is not worth it - not when you've got plenty of AP5 weapons scattered around your list (and a few AP4 grenade launchers too). The Chimeras would be ideal to take out enemy transports, leaving your S8-9 weapons to focus on that hammerhead/land raider. Also...most people with a 4+ armour save would still be using cover when they can, so that loss in strength could reduce it to a 5+. And S6 is better against a larger variety of list as it wounds marine/ork/necron armies on 2s.

I'd drop the medic in the CCS too. By the looks of your list, you wont be giving orders to many squads (they'll be flying left-right and centre with chimeras or valks or deepstriking stormies) which means it's not a horrible loss if the fire is being directed to the CCS instead of a stormtrooper squad or a valk, for example.

I dont mind the mixed weapons on the PCS, or the grenade launchers in the CCS. I dont mind grenade launchers, and the mixed weapons mean you can pump a few good AT shots and some S7 AT against some light stuff, and at the same time throw 6 AP2 hits at some termies in the next turn - so good for your all-corners ideology :)

Veteran squad could use some more expensive weapons apart from GLs though. You're paying for a higher BS and giving them worse weapons than the BS3 guardsmen holding the meltas and plasmas ;)

Cyrus
I reckon I've got plenty of Anti-Tank now :P

When I first bought the Guard codex, I didn't really think much of the Grenade Launcher, however some time spent on IGMB made me see more to the Guard. I'll quote the OP of the thread and give a link, but it is something that maybe members on here could take into consideration.

Quote from: Grenade Launchers and the lowly platoon, written by Comrade, of IGMBOk, so I've been playing IG since 3rd edition, and all I've ever heard is how bad the GL is. I however have not found it to be so... horrible.

Is it great? No. Powerful? No. Useful? Yes. Cheap? Yes.

Maybe I'm from a different generation of IG player who believes in cheapness above everything, but something that can throw out a S6 shot, or a small blast S3 is not bad for 5 pts.

I build my army around my specialized units (ie: LRMBTs, drop Stormtroopers w/melta) I combine that with 2 CCS w/ MoO. The GL has proven at least in my neck of the woods, to be useful in the utility aspect with platoons.

I have things that can take out heavy armor (Stormtroopers), I have things that take out hordes/Hvy Infantry (LRMBTs), I have anti Light infantry (Guardsmen)

And here is where the GL comes into play:
For 5 pts per squad you can:
  • Shoot at light armor (transports, AV 10/11/12) if there are no infantry to target, plus you dont have to target these with your STs, or LRMBTs
  • if there are infantry to target, you can fire a small blast that could hit more then 2 models, without having to use your BS to hit
  • You can maneuver you S6 shot for a better hit location since its an assault weapon
  • Instant death T3 Characters
  • Increase threat potential against Monstrous Creatures
I've just never understood the dislike of the lowly GL, its definitely not a specialized weapon per se, but its definitely is a threat multiplier and it makes your platoons a more all around threat and more able to support your specialized units, while also allowing to have decent power, at low points for a 24" Assault weapon.

Would I give Vets or SWS GLs? No, they should be specialized, but Platoons, at least for my set up, its makes them a good General Infantry unit.

Just my opinion on it however,
Comrade

Re-reading this, I'm glad I took the GLs out of my Vet squads :P

CoffeeGrunt

I personally think the GL looks damned handy on a Guardsman. It easily outstrips a Lasgun in every way for general usage, yet has the same range band and comparable target types, (when you're not targeting vehicles, at least.)

It's like how people rarely throw Frag/Krak Grenades with Space Marines at close range, despite the fact that they're generally better than Rapid Fire Bolters, and much better than Bolt Pistols. People simply forget them altogether.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Tactical Genius

Why not take an autocannon on your chimera. Fantastic little tank then
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

Narric

I have no Chimeras now, and to include them I'd probaly have to drop Yarrick, and then I'd have points left over that I'll have to re-alocate :P

Also, do you mean replace a Missile Launcher for Autocannons? as ACs are not options for Chimeras...

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Quote from: Narric on February 27, 2014, 11:49:02 AM
Also, do you mean replace a Missile Launcher for Autocannons? as ACs are not options for Chimeras...

There's a supplement that lets you take Autocannon-turret Chimeras as part of a IG army. I forget what exactly it is, but it's rules worthy, it's just not directly out of the IG codex. I think the whole thing is 70 points base.
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Narric

I don't use supplement, so I'll leave that option for now.

Need to change the CCS as I have given a vet both a Meltagun and a Regimental Standard. Which would be better to keep with this list?