News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Enter, The Darkness [RP Thread]

Started by Ravager, October 13, 2011, 02:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

The shaman bowed his head slightly in approval and gratitude. "My thanks."

The mage then moved to nearer the middle of the room, closer to everyone and began a meditation of sorts. Revitalising the mind spirit and soul of those around him, allowing the magick to flow into him and come out sharper and more focussed. Even the non mages would benefit from clearer thinking and a certain spring in their step, if a Principle Deamon was coming, they couldn't afford mistakes.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Maggs, give me a hand here. We can grab supplies from the guild itself if needs be and explain later." The young man nodded and started looking around for things to use.

"Tybalt, Thomas, any machinations you guys can come up with would be useful. Maggs and I can do hunting traps and the like, we could use something more complex to bypass if possible. Marcus, Kraytor, bar the main door with the heaviest thing you can. "

He turned to the Naturomancer. "Kjellson, you know this guild better than any of us as the only native to Hygar. I need you to map this place out for me. Obvious entrances, more subtle potential access points, choke points, that kind of thing. As much detail as you can provide in 10 minutes, if you need more time you'll have to talk me through it as I work."
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

InsaneTD

"We also need to guard and trap the store rooms. Probably be best to use none magical traps in those. The location the Soulstone was stolen from was magically linked to another location. I'm not sure what that means but it worries me."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Sounds like a plan. Maggs, start with the traps there." Oan replied. "Kjellson, your time starts now. As much detail on the layout, coherently and concisely as possible please. Skip the obvious, we've got that covered already, just potentially weaker or thinner walls, air flows that kind of thing please."

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Narric

Atlas was wobbly on his feet at first, but he recovered slowly on the walk to the pub.

"For such a young Dwarf, you're certainly filled with spirit. With some training, I bet you could be a Smith or excellent weaponry when we get back to the Great Hall." Atlas laughed heartedly, and smiled to the younger. "But back to the now, a quick drink to refresh us, then we see about collecting our reward. Our Employers shouldn't be foolish enough to give the coin to somebody else, or keep it for themselves. We should also see about bargainin' a small amount extra for taking out a Brood Mother."

The Man They Call Jayne

Bar the doors. . .right. . .there were some hefty furnishings about the place, crude but briefly effective, it needed more.

Walking over to the door he could see it was made at least partly of iron. Well that was a plus.

Placing his hand about 6 inches above the metal where the door joined he brought forth great heat, one of the most basic forms of Pyromancy.

[dice rolls

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4446716/]

The metal began to flow, each side joining the other, it was far from perfect as this wasn't the Shamans canticle and his skill was low, but it workd. He acheived a basic if messy weld down the middle of the doors.

"That ought to buy us a few minutes at the least. And it's nothing a blast cannot get though if we need to escape through it." He paused for a moment. "Let's just hope they don't realize that."

He and Marcus then proceeded to drag a sturdy book case and lay it on it's side in front of the doors so it could be crouched behind if needs be.

Ravager Zero

Rolls

Kjellson turned to master Liiwiz, gesturing for the older man to explain the intricacies of the Runesmiths' Hall.

"The west wall of the hall is weak near the south-west corner, the explosion of eighty-eight in the Blacksmith's guild saw to that. Solid rock, but there's cracks running all the way through it. Blacksmith's guild has their forges on the other side. It'd be a hell of a thing to get through, but I suppose it's possible. Storerooms are carved into solid rock, but all of them have ventilation shafts. Not large enough for a man, but they could use them to drop certain nasties in from the top—or to hide some things in, if they have a man on the inside.

"One of the Great Vents opens almost directly above the south end of the hall"—Liiwiz pointed to the wall opposite the main doors—"If they have climbing gear, they might try to attack from that end."

"Those are only the mundane methods of entry," Kjellson elaborated for the group. "There are several canticles that would allow our foes alternate forms of access to this place. A sufficiently powerful Geomancer could easily walk through the walls. An Illusionist could separate himself from this plane of existence and use his shadow to walk through solid matter. A Summoner could walk the beyond, and show up anywhere he desired. And lastly, if, as I fear, we are dealing with a Fulgromancer, they could arrive in an instant, creating their own portal. We must also establish a way to deal with such threats."

Kjellson gestured to those around him to clear the centre of the room. "That's why I'm here. Pass me the chalk—no, the blue one. Yes, give it here."

Kjellson knelt low, dragging the chalk in a giant arc, transcribing a circle nearly twenty feet across. "For the next ten minutes, until the ritual is complete, no one is to speak to me. No one is to cross this line of chalk. No is to disturb me as I recite the incantation. When I complete the ritual, anyone attempting to enter this hall via magickal means will be drawn into the heart of the circle. It will not harm them, but hopefully it will disorient them long enough for you to land a telling blow."

As Kjellson worked, Liiwiz continued explaining to Oan the way the Runesmith's hall was set up. The way the Great Vent was designed to extract smoke and fumes of various kinds, the way the material trays were laid out both in the hall itself, and the storerooms. Which of those contained dangerous materials, which contained volatile materials, and which contained explosive ingredients. Oan quickly built up a mental map of where to place his caltrops for maximum effect and minimum collateral damage. He knew well that even his father's fortunes would be unable to pay for more than a fraction of the reagents and ingredients in this place. But he made sure to ask master Liiwiz what effect each of the dangerous materials would have, just in case.

"But whatever you do, do not disturb the blue-white glowstones. Not unless you wish to wither and fade like all those who previously touched them."

"If they are so dangerous, why keep them here?"

"Because here they are safe. Their case is made of lead, enmeshed with shielding wards and forged with runes of protection. Properly shielded, they provide the catalyst for our most powerful runic forgings and invocations. It is said one was used by the Avatar of Nryvan himself to defeat Ruin. We have kept them, searched for others, on the off chance that such a thing might happen again."

Oan was about to ask Kjellson about the significance of this, after hearing why the materials were needed from Kahlan and Tybalt, then he remembered Kjellson's advice. It could wait. Briefly. The ranger watched as Kjellson completed the ritual, the ground beneath him glowing in concentric circles inscribed with arcane symbols. No one present had any idea what canticle the ritual belonged to—or even if it did belong to a particular canticle.

Kraytor's attempt to revitalize those around him seemed to have some useful effect, everyone appeared to have a little more energy, talked a little faster, clearer. Not much, but it would do.

Atlas looked around the tavern. It was near dinner time, and no one else was there. Certainly there were other patrons, but none of his friends were. It was something that bore investigation—after a pint to celebrate killing that gods damned broodmother.

"Where friends?" Rock asked.

"Been wonderin' that meself laddie," Atlas replied. "We'll have our drink, then we'll see what if we cannae turn somethin' up. They might still be at the inn."

But Atlas wasn't convinced. They should have been trickling in by now. Finishing his pint he slammed the mug on the table. Money be damned  his friends probably needed him right now. He could collect that reward later. Right now it was time to find some manlings that had actually become important to him. When Atlas and Rock reached the inn they found the note.

Go to Runsemith's Hall. Something big going on.
–Emily

"Well, let's get moving," Atlas hefted his axes and checked his pistol. Beside him, Rock smiled and bounced the hammer from his hands. Two big fights in a day. His new friends were amazing. Somewhat less amazing when he discoveref they'd been locked out of the Runesmith's hall somehow.

"Oi, I know yer in there!" Atlas shouted through the doors. "So howsabout some courtesy. I don't wanna miss the big fight!"
Rav's Awesome Card Counter: +2

Quote from: Kane
...and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.

The Man They Call Jayne

Kraytor heard the banging on the door and the shouting first. The damn dwarf and his new friend. Moving over to the door he spoke through it.

"You will have to find another entry point Master Dwarf, this one is sealed. And for Morrdes sake don't touch anything you don't have to, make sure your new boy knows that too, you could end up in another damn dimension for all we know!"

Hearing some grumbling and some vaguely recognisable dwarvish cursing, he heard the head off around the building. One of the doors would still be open to them.

He looked around at Kjellson as he worked his art. It was something even the Shaman didn't recognize, but from the given effect it seemed useful. In here, in this confined space he would need specific targets and the circle would provide that nicely.

Once it all broke out, he could let lose a little, the chance to get to grips with a Principle Deamon was one to great to pass up.

Mabbz

Kahlan had overheard Liiwiz telling Oan about the glowstones. There would be plenty of people watching the circle, she reasoned, and the thief would likely want to take the stones out of the equation if they were planning on summoning Ruin. With that in mind, she elected to stand in a shadowy corner near the stones, ready to attack whoever tried to take them.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Oan felt Kraytor's magic working, it was easier for him to think clearly and plan out the defence of the guild. He noted Khalan's position but the stones, that was smart. They'd be a key target for the enemy, and it was fairly central, allowing even healing speed for the party if it was needed mid-fight.

Oan helped Maggs lay more traps, then started setting up a couple of tripwire traps by one of the side doors. He made a point of using durable supplies and keeping the cost low. He doubted the Guild would charge excessively for any damage, especially if they were successful, but he wasn't prepared to risk it.

"Xan, go find the Dwarfs, come through the eastern door, we'll trap that one last. Make sure you're quick about it though, time is against us"

He went back to Maggs to help with the trap he was working on. "Listen," he said in a whisper "In this fight, I know you'd like to to fight with me, and that's fine. But I need a favour. I need you to protect Emily"

"Oan, I was sent to protect you," Maggs protested, "not some girl you barely know!"

"I know that, but there's more at stake here than you realise, and Emily may be the key to it all. Keep her safe. Please. I'll explain later, I promise, but there isn't time now."

"Alright Oan, but only because it's you asking." Maggs replied. The reason had better be more than her looks" he added with a chuckle as Oan walked away.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

HectorSmash

Rock cocked his head at Atlas. "Why no use door? Door weak from hammer, yes?" He brandished his hammer excitedly, more than ready to smash something new.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Oan continued to work on the traps as Kjellson completed his ritual, he had to make sure that the traps were solid and wouldn't go off early. He hadn't had to be this exact with his trapping in a long time, and he relished the challenge.

As Kjellson finished the ritual Oan approached him "From what I'm told" he said "the target item can vary depending on the sacrifice. At what point in the summoning do they need to decide the sacrifice? If they can choose at any time we're going to have a hard time stopping them getting anything they need and are on to a loss from the start. But if we know they need something specific, or at least narrow it down, we have a much better chance of nipping this in the bud."

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Ravager Zero

Rolls

Atlas looked down at the younger dwarf beside him. "Much as I dislike sayin' so, not every problem ye run into can be solved by smashing it with a hammer. I reckon they've probably barred that door, stop some nastiness getting in—or out, maybe."

"Friend?" Rock asked, pointing down the corridor at a young man dashing towards them.

"This way," Xan panted. "Quick. Think they're trying. To summon. Ruin."

"Ruin bad?"

"Very, very bad." Xan jogged next to the younger dwarf. "Ruin is one of the Principal Daemons, lieutenants of Morrde."

"Who is Morrde?"

"Morrde is one of the manling gods," Atlas explained quickly. He was familiar enough with the pantheon humans worshipped to be able to understand the implications behind what being associated with a certain god meant. "He's their god of death—like Kazun, or Kohil, but different. Very dark magicks."

When they got through the east door, the dwarves carefully stepped past Oan, who was setting the last of his traps. Atlas would have inspected the defenses, but suddenly they were out of time.

Something crackled at the centre of the hall, arcing and shorting into the magelines inscribed upon the floor. There was something trying to break its way through from elsewhere. Something dark and unnatural. The crackling increased in volume, becoming a dull rumbling like distant thunder. An orb of pure white light manifested at the centre of Kjellson's magic trap. The orb grew and grew, smoke rising from the stone floor beneath it. Everyone blinked as the orb faded. What they saw was not what they had been expecting. Not by a long shot.

Three figures, surrounded by dark strands of corrupted Essence. Essence made visible by Kjellson's trap. Each of the figures was varying shades of black, from jet to coal, with iron-black armour, and ebon flames swirling around their weapons. Each held identical weapons, a longsword, and a tower shield. Each held an identical pose, facing outwards from the centre of the circle. Armoured heads were bowed, each warrior's right knee touched the floor of the hall. A hazy black fog seemed to settle over the circle Kjellson had inscribed. That was when everyone noticed the middle of the circle was gone, carved away like a shallow dish.

The party drew their weapons as the strange warriors remained motionless, preparing to unleash a surprise attack. The black clad warriors suddenly looked up, baleful eyes aglow with blue-white fire. And then everyone knew what they were really facing. Not summoned creatures. Not humans. Not daemons.

Revenants.

Three of them.
Rav's Awesome Card Counter: +2

Quote from: Kane
...and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.

Narric

"Time for some fun without risk of poison" Atlas chuckled as he readied his axes.

The Man They Call Jayne

Kraytor was already reacting, preparing to drop a volley of chaotic blasts straight down on top of what ever came through the Orb. . .