News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Voidraven Bomber

Started by Rarity Declis, June 13, 2012, 03:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rarity Declis

Well, it's finally done! My converted Voidraven Bomber, complete with Void Mine Containment Field in the middle, and gems.

Here is the top-down view:
The cream-to-white is on both sides of the Bomber, but the picture ended up being sheer white and I'm too lazy to take a second photo. Also, notice the crackling purple energy of the Void-Mine within...

Here is the side view:
Just because it has vanes to slice people with doesn't mean it does. Also, I get that Dark Eldar technology prevents dirty pollution being made, but I like dirt on my engine vents and such, so I justify it and the damage around it by saying that 1) Heat melts the paint and 2) Dirty atmosphere, blood being sucked into the engines. Also a lucky Plasma shot has crack the carapace around the cockpit, nearly taking it out. Damn Armour 11!

Here is the base:
Yes, I am a big fan of painting the Imperial Fists on my bases, as I really would like to collect them (cough, upcoming Heresy books, cough) and for some grim amusement, the Razorback was apparently called "Victor". Apparently, they failed to stop the Bomber with a Whirlwind, either.

Thoughts on performance?

Well, I take mine with Nightshields and Flickerfields, making it about as expensive as a Venerable Dreadnought, but with slightly tougher armour than my other vehicles, no Open Topped, and a 5+ Invul Save, a better Cover Save (usually) and minus 6 inches to incoming fire means that it is surprisingly tough to take down.

The Void Mine is very often not used, but once in a while a bunched-up unit of Paladins appears (sometimes after combat) and I can take them all out with a single shot. Extremely satisfying. However, I take this for the Void Lances.

With the Strength of a Lascannon and the Lance rule, I consider this the best anti-tank in the Dark Eldar book. I know a lot of people consider the cheaper cousin, the Ravager, to be better, but this is a lot tougher (compared to the Ravager, at least), and that extra pip of Strength means that I am penetrating on a 4+ against Land Raiders instead of a 5+, and that often makes the difference.

I rarely leave the Dark City without it.

Vyper

I like it!
I've been favouring the flyers more in my recent lists, including 2 Voidravens in the list I'm currently making (All wych army wasn't performing very well ::)). The only thing that gets to me is the hole where the turret would be sitting, but other than that, it is a really cool conversion.

Stewie Griffin

Very very nice :)

My only criticism is that the paint scheme just doesn't suggest "Dark Eldar" to me, more just some variation of the Craftworlders  ??? I think it's probably the combination of that medium-bright blue, and the white, where I associate Dark Eldar with Darker blues, greens, reds and so on.

Other than that it is very good, so well done :)

Will's on Fire

I think it's a very good conversion.

The gems look excellent.

I must disagree with Stewie Griffin, I think Dark Eldar rol with a lot of different colour schemes, it one of their things. I think the only reason you think of craftworld is because of the chassis you've used, but the flyersr blades are a nice addition.

- Will

JimmyWolf

A very well painted model and an excellent conversion.

I've heard Void Ravens aren't as competitive as Ravagers or Razorwings as well. What I've never seen is anyone actually play with a Voidraven in a list. Against armies like GK it sounds like a very good choice, but maybe not so much for armies that have a lot of expendable troops.
"You can't mine spice from the spice mines of Kessel!
"Why not?"
"Its not fair trade!"

Rarity Declis

Ah, you see, I chose the Eldar Chassis because I wanted the Voidraven to look sleek, yet bulkier than the Razorwing.

Regarding Blue and Cream, most of my Dark Eldar are, but the blue is normally darker. However, this was my first time with the airbrush, so he ended up with an even coat....

Also, JimmyWolf, join the Mass Effect RPG. Now.

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

I don't want to come accross as harsh, or nit picky, or what not - but to me it looks like a falcon without a turret, on a flying base with a different paint job and new additions to the engines.

To be honest I'd love to see some Weaponry, or something more Dark Eldary apart from a paint-job. I wouldn't mind seeing some horrifying lance weapons and/or some missiles ;)

Or even moar spykes :P

It just looks too eldary to me to be honest.

Paintjob is great though, love the base too!

Zambia
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Vyper

Quote from: Lord Zambia on June 14, 2012, 10:10:48 AM
To be honest I'd love to see some Weaponry, or something more Dark Eldary apart from a paint-job. I wouldn't mind seeing some horrifying lance weapons and/or some missiles ;)

Yeh, having looked again, I agree with this, I can't actually see the lances...  :-\

Rarity Declis

Officially, there are no Lances. I use the piping under the Voidraven wing-things as each Void Lance. There are two reasons. I'm lazy, and I'm sure that GW will release an actual model, and this way, I can change it to some Forgeworld unit easily.