News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Enter, The Darkness [RP Thread]

Started by Ravager, October 13, 2011, 02:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HectorSmash

Rock marveled at the rest of the group as he sat beside Atlas. He had a few remedies back home - mostly various kinds of mosses and animal parts - but 'back home' was the operative phrase.

These people were so close, like a small family of heroes. The way they all rushed to each others' aid was so alluring. While he could indeed use some loving attention of his own, he didn't want to take away from what they had here. Besides, he'd been hurt worse.

He quietly asked Atlas, "You know all people?" He gestured out to everyone present.

Ravager Zero

Rolls

Chapter 8
—Ruin—

"Élise Sanna. She tried to ambush us earlier," Oan explained quickly. "Someone contracted her to kidnap Emily and send her to Vidan."

"You think she's the one trying to summon Ruin?" Tybalt asked.

"Kraytor," the ranged turned and eyed the massive shaman dubiously. "Could a mystic summon a daemon?"

"No."

"Sanna is a mystic?" Kjellson tried to clarify.

"She is," Oan affirmed.

"That's why they took it. Damn them. It was never the glowstones they wanted. It was the Naptha," Kjellson cursed as he realized what was happening. "I do not know if this Sanna is a friend to you, but it would seem she is to be the sacrifice to drive the ritual."

"Didn't you say they also needed dragon's blood?" Tybalt recalled their earlier conversation.

"For a mage. For a magess they need Moons' Ash, and they'll already have it. The academy's supply was raided three weeks ago. You all look like you're about to head off to fight again, to rescue or stop this Sanna woman. I would adivse caution, and patience. The ritual of summoning cannot be completed for at least another day, possibly two. It can only be performed at night, on one of the stone circles, under the light of two full moons, while the face of Cronos is hidden from the sky. You have a little more time. Time to rest, time to prepare. I suggest you use it wisely."

"I will be returning to the academy shortly, and if you have any further questions you may ask me there. For now my advice would be to get a solid meal, sleep, and then spend the morning preparing to interrupt the most dangerous ritual known to man."

Off to the side of the hall, Atlas turned to address rock. "I'm not sure 'know' is the right word here laddie. I reckon we're more'n decent brothers in arms, but I don't really know any o' these people. Or at least not as well as maybe I should. Y'see Kraytor there, big brute of a man; he's a shaman and a chaosigan. Basically he controls nature and breaks stuff. Kahlan's a healer, powers like Nata has. Seems a mite angry 'bout losing tha' finger though. Oan there, with the cloak, bow, sword and everything else? He's a ranger. Right proper folk they are according to manlings. Not sure much accord I'd put t' that, but 'e does seem a good sort. Very useful in a pinch too.

"Marcus, now he's a mercenary—means he fights for gold. Never did ask him why he stayed, but I think it might have somethin' t' do with our young healer over there who's missin' her finger. And he uses a right proper weapon too. Not some pansy sword or bow, but a hammer. An' that ain't no normal hammer either. Slays daemons like nobody's business. Then we got Tyablt there, runesmith. Not quite the same as Helzon's magicks, but I reckon its close. Seen some of his work, it's damn fine for a manling's craft. Xan, y'know, the odd one, with the plant; he's a summoner, healer too. Not really sure o' much else about him.

"Then you got miss Rose over there, with the pretty dress and the flintlock pistol. Don't let them thin arms or manling prettiness fool you—she's just as dangerous as any one of us can be. She's worked hard for it too, seen her sparring against near everyone here. Then we got Thomas—'e just got stabbed by that reva-thingy. Ah think he's more'n a bit out of his head, but he had to be dragged along. And that explosive o' his was stupid powerful. An y'know what? I don't know that other manling next t' Oan, but they do seem t' know each other."

On the other side of the hall, Maggs was talking with Oan. "So you're telling me you just up and walked into this ambush?"

"Not exactly. We were expecting a fight. We weren't expecting Sanna to just snatch Emily away," Oan gave a little laugh. "Emily handled it well enough. Took Sanna at gunpoint and held off the guards until we could break in."

"Doesn't look she's got that kind of fire in her."

"You don't know the half of it Maggs," Oan clapped his hand against his friend's shoulder. "And you never will."

"Oh, now you're just teasing me, Fencer, and you know it."

In the centre of the hall, Kraytor ignored all of this. His sole concern was finding Élise Sanna again. If they could track her now, it would be much easier than spending time to narrow it down later. That, and he could perhaps repay in kind what her kidnappers had planned. No reason to hold back there. He wondered idly about mistress Anatalya. Her skills could prove very useful if it came to a proper fight. As he sent his mind out along the skeins, touching those he had touched earlier in the day, he found Anatalya in an unguarded moment, reading about the whims of Skol.

It was uninteresting, and he sought a different mind anyway. One which he had brushed against only briefly, but whose magic was distinctive. He could tell Sanna was in distress. In the sea of minds and souls throughout the city, from scuttling insects and scurrying rats to hunting cats and brooding mammoths, Kraytor could see Sanna clearly. Because, he suddenly realized, she too was seeking out another mind. Her Essence flaring like a beacon against a darkening sky. She was in the upper levels of the city, to the south, the corridors were small, but not cramped. Few people were about. Shadows fell around them, masking them from view. No, a shadow had fallen over him.

It was Marcus, the massive warrior had a pensive look, and was resting his hands on the pommel of his hammer. When Kraytor looked up the warrior's eyes hardened against him, and he spoke with utter conviction—although not loud enough as to be overheard.

"You killed her. The woman in the Hollow. She didn't attack you—you made that part up," Marcus leaned intimidatingly close. "I saw you kill her in cold blood. And then you tried to take that memory away from me, shaman. Consider this the only warning you'll ever get."
Rav's Awesome Card Counter: +2

Quote from: Kane
...and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.

The Man They Call Jayne

Kraytor grinned at Marcus' "warning", he held little fear of the great warrior even if he did respect his prowess in combat. Marcus slept. He didn't.

Still, Anatalya seemed like someone he should visit. He knew exactly where she was, and he knew she had people who worked for her.

"Calm yourself warrior. In her death she gave me health and clarity. More than she could ever have achieved in her wretched life. Anyway, I have more important things to do."

With that the shaman buckled his great coat and stepped out into the night. Walking through the city, keeping track on the Cryomancer.

Some time later he arrived at her location. He was stopped by her henchmen, guards maybe. He raised a hand to remove them and stopped himself, he didn't need to do that.

"I would speak with Mistress Anatalya. Bring her to me."

"The Mistress is not availiable right now, least of all to you."

Kraytor reached out with his mind and flicked a trigger. There was a scream of pure fear from the room.

"I think she is ready to see me now."

The door slammed open and a very angry Cryomancer stormed out.

"YOU! What in the name of Morrde do you want?"

"My apologies Anatalya. Your guards were being difficult and frankly I don't have time for pleasantries. If it makes them feel better you can tell them what I could have done to them. But right now my friends and I need your help. You have proven yourself capable, and connected. There is a group of people attempting to summon a Principal Deamon known as Ruin. If they do this, you will have no city left to dwell in. We need you and as many men as you can gather in the next 24 hours."

Kraytor read her face.

"I don't have time for you to disbelieve me, or let your dislike of me get in the way. If you know anything of the Principal Deamons, you know that even the chance that this might happen is something that must be stopped. Find your warriors, mages, alchemists, anything you can get your hands on, call in every favour. I will even remove that trigger in your mind if you help us. What say you?"
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

'Pansy' bow master Dwarf?" Oan asked with an eyebrow raised. "You do recall our first encounter do you not?" he added with a smirk. "Any weapon that can kill is a weapon which should be respected. One that can do so from a distance, without the user being seen, even more so. Wars have been won and lost on much less."

"Anyway, we have food to eat and rest to get. Oh, and Thomas, can you talk someone through how to make those explosives and similar devices? I have a feeling they'll be required."
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Ravager Zero

Rolls

"You!" Anatalya spat, her uninjured hand describing a great arc. "You greet me like that, and think I'm going to help you?"

"Yes," it took Kraytor a moment to understand that the fear he'd triggered had galvanized the cryomancer into taking action. Very direct action. Which would explain why it was so damnably cold—and why he was currently pressed against the wall under a sheet of ice, leaving just his head and hands free.

"And you think you can still scare me?" Anatalya's voice seethed with rage. Her eyes flashed white, her irises clouding over, taking on strange fractal patterns. The voice that spoke again was hers and not hers. Deep and reverberating, filled with all things cold and dead. "Impudent mortal. Gods have no fear. It amuses me to let you live, so you live. For now."

Frost fell against the floor with every word, seeming to drip from the very air in the hall. Anatalya's body turned away imperiously, slamming the door behind her. A foot of impenetrable ice covered it an instant later. After ten minutes of magickal assault the barrier hadn't changed or shifted in any way. Not even the barest hint of a crack. He wasn't sure what he'd seen in that final exchange with Anatalya, but it most certainly was not her. It almost seemed to be the same kind of transformation the others said Ja'nus had undergone. Almost.

"I wouldn't recommend trying to make grenades yourself, master Fencer," Thomas coughed as he spoke, sitting upright with Emily's help. "It's not exactly what one might call safe. Lots of black powder, and certain other alchemical compounds. The striking mechanism is clockwork—more reliable that way—so once you set it off, you can't undo it. I can make more with the right supplies. Certain weaponsmiths and artillerymen will understand the process, so if you find them, they may be able to help.

"But, I can show you how to make a snapbow," Thomas added quickly. "It's simple, easy to hide, and easy to reload. Not as powerful as a bow or a pistol, mind, but can be a damn sight handier."

...and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Thank you Thomas. If this is going to be anything like the last Principal Daemon we fought, we're going to need every last weapon and advantage we can get." Oan replied.

"Kjellson, if we interrupt this ritual, when is the next opportunity they'd have to complete it? I don't know the lunar movements this far North."

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Mabbz

"I wouldn't mind a snapbow myself," said Kahlan. "Until I get used to my injury, I'll need a weapon that doesn't require nimble fingers."

InsaneTD

Tybalt walked over to master Liiwiz and bowed, "I wish we had managed to stop them and I apologize for the damage we caused trying to stop them."

Ravager Zero

Rolls

"Well, master Defet, it was not entirely unexpected. Most of it appears to be superficial damage, although some of those benches will have to be replaced. It certainly does look like a bomb went off in here, but nothing overly valuable was damaged. I expect we'll find that stolen cabinet before too long—well, more likely that you and your companions will find it, but we do expect it back before you leave."

"You seem quite calm about all this."

"We have had experience with your earliest works."

"Oh, right," Tybalt had a chagrined smile. "I could say I'd help, but Kjellson was right, we need a good meal, we need a rest. Then we need to find mistress Sanna."

"I don't blame you master Defet. We have some apprentices that could do with a little more exercise, and this fits the bill perfectly. Just try not to break anything else when you get back."

Dinner would have been a sombre affair, had Rock not immediately started telling the story of how he and Atlas had killed a broodmother earlier in the day. The energy with which he told the tale was enough to lift the party's spirits, at least for a little while. Those not paying so much heed to the story—like Oan, Maggs, Tybalt, and Kraytor, were busy planning out how best to approach their latest problem. Kraytor was of course arguing for a brute force solution. Oan and Maggs wanted to gather more information and strike at the ritual's pivotal moment, causing maximum disruption. Tybalt preferred a surprise attack, something between the two extremes, perhaps an ambush as they made their way to the ritual site, because the Fulgromancer would probably have trouble moving everyone that swiftly.

To that end, Tybalt had procured their tome on new and ancient gods, and was currently reading about Fulgromancy.

The powers of Eryje are tempestuous and well known, as it is her rage that rules over storms of the sky and seas. Fulgromancy is the command over storms and thunder, and grants its practitioner great powers. The price of these is their unpredictability, and only the best Fulgromancers ever manage the kind of control mages from other canticles often take for granted. Storm calling is probably the best known example of this unpredictability, as even when the ritual is followed correctly, the practitioner can get anything from an overcast sky to a fulgurous thunderstorm—regardless of what they actually desired. To the greatest of her servants, Eryje grants a different boon, not control, but the power of movement swifter than a bolt of lightning. Little has been studied of this power, save that the fulgromancer must have been in the target location recently in order to travel swiftly to it.

The other canticle under Eryje, wardancing...

Tybalt closed the book. It had been somewhat informative, but it still lacked a real sense of what fulgromancy could actually do. It had at least managed to explain how their foe had managed to teleport in, then out again—but that raised the question of how recently he might have been through the runesmiths' hall. Questions for another day, Tybalt decided, taking a long draught of his ale. They'd done enough for today—well, they hadn't, they'd failed, he corrected himself—but there was little else they could do, and in the morning they would likely be able to come up with a better approach to the problem.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Oan sighed with exasperation. The strategy discussion was going in endless circles. He drained his tankard and slammed it down on the table, harder than he'd intended. His frustration was getting the better of him.

"Enough! We'll finish this in the morning" he declared to the table at large. "I'm going to get some sleep" with that, he stood and left the table, leaving the others to make their own decisions on when to stop drinking.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Kraytor arrived at the inn and silently slunk to his room. He would explain what had happened in the morning when he understood it better himself. Or could at least think about it more clearly.

Ravager Zero

Rolls

Morning shed new light on the party's problems. Their rooms were abuzz with conversation as they prepared for the day ahead. Kjellson had told them the moons would align either tonight, or tomorrow. That was a very tight deadline, especially considering they had to search the entire city in order to find Sanna. Hygar was a maze, and the maps tended to be incomplete at best, because the city seemed to go deeper than the mountain. But it wasn't getting into the unexplored areas that was the problem. It was getting back. Alive.

Thankfully Sanna wasn't in one of those places. As Kraytor had informed his companions earlier, she was in the south of the city, deep within the mountain, but still in the mapped areas. At least, she felt that close. Estimating distance using only the skeins and the power of another mage was not an exact science. Still, it had to be close. That was why Kraytor insisted they make an a raid as soon as possible, gather the strongest among them, and lay waste to whatever hole these people chose to hide in. Oan was arguing that they should take caution, use the day to study their targets, then strike just before nightfall. Tybalt countered with a proposal to ambush the men trying to invoke the ritual on their to invoke. Kjellson had said they would need the Stone Circles after all. Marcus raised the issue of bringing in the city guards, or even hiring other mercenaries to aid their cause.

Still in the bedrooms, Emily and Kahlan were tending to Thomas's wounds. He had taken one hell of a beating from that revenant. It hadn't been a lot of hits, but one really telling strike. He should have been dead, but as Kahlan explored his flesh with skeins around them she found that the black blade had somehow missed every vital organ. There was minor bleeding still, but it wasn't life-threatening. Kahlan had to wonder if the hand of fate had smiled upon Thomas in that moment as he tried to defend his newfound allies. There was a darker answer that remained possible. Rehd might have left some kind of mark on Thomas; the assassin seemed intent on keeping his end of the bargain and collecting the payment he was owed. If Thomas died then he wouldn't be able to collect. Kahlan shivered at the thought of magic that dark and powerful.

You should help the stunty Frank grumbled.

"And you should watch your tongue. What if he could hear you?"

"Could hear what laddie?" Atlas asked the young healer beside him.

"Oh, Frank's saying I should help you. Makes sense, you got pretty banged up in that fight last night. Now hold still."

Xan drew the skeins around him weaving them around with subtle, sweeping gestures. Through them he could sense all the damage within the Dwarf's hardy body, all that was bruised or broken. Anything stressed or strained. Xan fed the skeins into the injuries, into the strains, and gently pulled the skeins apart, leaving their strength within the Dwarf and allowing the spent skeins to carry away his aches and pains. After a few minutes Atlas yawned and stretched expansively, he felt undeniably better.

"Aye laddie, you know yer work well. My thanks."

After collecting their weapons, and donning more appropriate garb in some cases, the party of adventurers, warriors and saviors made their way to the tavern. Breakfast. A breakfast for champions, the meal was advertised as. After the events of the previous night however, none of them felt like champions. They just had a job to do, and if they failed again, Hygar would most likely be wiped out. No pressure.

Health

Kraytor: 13/16 HP
Kahlan: 15/15 HP [Scarred — Chest, Missing Finger]
Oan: 15/15 HP
Marcus: 21/21 HP
Tybalt: 16/16 HP
Xan: 14/14 HP
Atlas: 16/19 HP
Rock: 14/19 HP
Emily: 15/15 HP
Thomas: 7/16 HP [Severely Injured]
Maggs: 16/16 HP

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Striking early and waiting till the Stones both have merits. However they also both have risks. How far are the Stones from where we suspect Sanna to be?" Oan asked.

"If they're close we may be able to split the party to cover both. That way we can be reinforced if we find Sanna, or if they're gone before we get there we're covered because there'll be a group at the Stones to delay the ritual."

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

"As much as I hate to admit it, this is a time when Rehd would come in useful. The man is distasteful but he is the best killer among us. He seems to be busy out in the city though, I havn't seen him around.  I do feel that we should at least try to stop them where they are now. Slow them down if possible."

Kraytor looked uneasy for a moment, something rarely seen.

"Also, I made contact with Anatalya in regard to her assisting us. I do not believe she will be helping us, or that she is even in control of herself any longer. You said she channeled this Skol, did you not? I think she has be taken over by him. I fear that we may have another threat to deal with in the future.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"You did WHAT??" Oan exclaimed "Kraytor, no offence, but you have the dimplomatic ability of a ravenous dragon. You should have said you were going, one of us could have come with you to smooth things over."

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. The last thing they needed was an avatar with a vendetta against one of the party.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http