News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2000pt CSM/Daemon army

Started by Cammerz, October 08, 2012, 02:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

Well, I've finally received the new codex, its got some great stuff in there but leaves me in the uncomfortable position of having to pick between cool units.
I'll also mention that, for economic reasons, I'm keeping as many models as I can from my existing collection so there aren't many of the brand new units.

Chaos Lord, Terminator Armour, The Black Mace, Combi-Melta, Veteran of the Long War
I'm doing a Word Bearers army and he's always been a Dark Apostle (in fluff) but the rules for Dark Apostles don't let them have Terminator armour, plus the Black Mace is much cooler than the power maul.

5 Chaos Terminators, Champion has power maul and combi-bolter, 1 has power axe and combi-bolter, 1 has power axe and combi-melta, 1 has chainfist and combi-bolter, 1 has power fist and heavy flamer. Veterans of the Long War.
I was a bit worried that the last terminator wouldn't be able to have both weaons, but the heavy flamer isn't one of the three special options so I reckon its fine.

20 Chaos Space Marines, Champion has Combi-bolter and power fist. 2 Plasmaguns, 8 swap bolters for close combat weapons. Icon of Vengeance. Veterans of the Long War.
Originally two units, I decided to merge them to save points. The fact that they had been two units explains why 8 of them have additional combat weapons instead of bolters.

5 Havocs, 4 Lascannons, Veterans of the Long War

Defiler, Power Scourge, Warpflame Gargoyles
Certainly more expensive than in the last codex, hopefully worth it. The DCCWs have all been renamed, the two main ones are power fists whilst the power scourge is the tentacly one.

Vindicator, Siege Shield, Daemonic Possession, Havoc Launcher.

Chaos Spawn, Mark of Nurgle
I wouldn't normally mark anything in this army but +1T at that price seemed a bit too much to resist. Besides, one of the Gods must have mutated him, makes sense that they'd leave a mark.

15 Cultists, Shotgun, Heavy Stubber, 13 Autoguns
Cultists are the only new models I've managed to include in the army. It was them or a Heldrake and I prefer the look of these. I'm not a powergamer, I like going for what looks good.

15 Cultists, Flamer
So I can use the close combat models and the flamer as well. Plus given that the CSMs are now in one squad, I felt I needed an extra troop choice.

Allies: Chaos Daemons

Bloodthirster, Death Strike, Unholy Might, Blessing of the Blood God
This chap is just a monster. I'm hoping the death strike means he can take out a flyer or two if they get close enough. And with Blessing of the Blood God he's nearly indestructable in close combat against Grey Knights.

8 Bloodletters
Just a simple unit, 8 is Khorne's lucky number, I'm hoping the power swords will come into play frequently.

4 Flamers of Tzeentch
A last minute entry as I had just about the right number of points. The recent update makes them great. They're only let down by the fact that icons can no longer summon anything (not even terminators like last edition).

So there we have it.
What do you think?

Vyper

First thing is drop the death strike on the thirster. Flying mc strangely enough do not get the skyfire option. Other than that it looks ok for a non competitive list. You are lacking any real AA though, so you could have trouble facing flyer heavy lists.

Cammerz

So do you reckon it'd be a good idea to lose the death strike and the flamers and grab myself a defence line and a quad gun? And looking in the rulebook, whilst my 'thirster can't easily death strike planes, he can go around vector striking them.

Vyper

Quote from: Cammerz on October 08, 2012, 05:40:47 PM
So do you reckon it'd be a good idea to lose the death strike and the flamers and grab myself a defence line and a quad gun? And looking in the rulebook, whilst my 'thirster can't easily death strike planes, he can go around vector striking them.

Yeh, pretty much. A quadgun is a pretty deadly thing, especially considering it's twin linked... Vector striking is alright, but on its own it won't kill a lot.

Arguleon-veq

Flying MC's do now get Skyfire thanks to the FAQ. I'd combine those Cultists into one unit, they are too fragile that small. Lose the Spawn it is just asking to give up first blood.

Those Lascannons in the Havocs are way too vulnerable, with the Spawn points throw in some extra bodies in the unit. I think Las are a bad choice for them too, I'd either go with missiles with Flak for versatility or autocannons and let weight of fire do the work, both are fairly decent anti air options too. I'd lose the havok launcher on the vindi, you want to be shooting tanks or heavy infantry, not light infantry.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33