News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Spellchecker - Working?

Started by Restayvien, January 08, 2013, 02:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restayvien

I tried to use it a few minutes ago and it simply didn't load (empy window popped up though). Just me?

Cammerz

I've just tried using it for this reply and I'm getting the same, just a blank box, and I made sure there were spelling mistakes just to make sure.

Restayvien

Quote from: Cammerz on January 08, 2013, 02:33:02 PM
I've just tried using it for this reply and I'm getting the same, just a blank box, and I made sure there were spelling mistakes just to make sure.
I make sure I have spelling mistakes in all my posts.  :shifty:

LinnScarlett

Hm, but even then it might not pick up that eye said eye instead of I just now... bah. It's not working for me either, though. What sort of spelling does it adhere to? *shies away from the US-spelling*
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Cammerz

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on January 08, 2013, 05:32:41 PM
Hm, but even then it might not pick up that eye said eye instead of I just now... bah. It's not working for me either, though. What sort of spelling does it adhere to? *shies away from the US-spelling*

Well at the moment it isn't doing anything. In case you're getting a bit confused, it isn't an automatic thing like in MS Word, there's a button that appears when you're writing a post near the 'Post' button which says 'Spell Check', when you click it its meant to show you everything you've spelled incorrectly but at the moment only a blank white box is appearing.

InsaneTD

It has worked since the first crash. I whigne at sorck every few months but he doesn't know why it doesn't work.

Restayvien

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on January 09, 2013, 05:48:14 AM
It has worked since the first crash. I whigne at sorck every few months but he doesn't know why it doesn't work.
I assume you mean "hasn't" or your post doesn't make sense. ;) But fair enough if it doesn't work. I wonder if it's possible to remove the button, at least until we can make it work or find a third-party variant.

InsaneTD

Hasn't. Yeah.

You'd have to ask Sorck.

Irisado

If you're using Firefox, you can install an English spell checker add on to get around the problem.

The spell check feature itself does work for other SMF fora I use, so it's not a problem with the spell checker in itself.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Sorck

I would have to admit that this problem has had me stumped for some time... I went to the effort of recompiling our web server to have PSpell (the spell checking library SMF uses). It turns out that you need to install dictionaries (e.g. enGB, enUS etc) separately to actually use the library. Unfortunately installing these dictionaries isn't made anywhere near as simple as installing the rest of PSpell as you have to manually download them and install them from the terminal.

I'll try and get this done next week after I've gotten my exams out of the way.

The long wait with no spell check will soon be over [hopefully]!

Quote from: Irisado on January 10, 2013, 02:51:28 PM
If you're using Firefox, you can install an English spell checker add on to get around the problem.
Yes, Chrome and Firefox can easily have a spellchecker added. In fact I advise you add one as it's a lot easier than waiting for every sysadmin to install one on their website. :P