News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Thoughts on New Eldar

Started by loeldrad, June 21, 2013, 01:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loeldrad

I've been out of the hobby for a while but a new Eldar book is all it took to bring me back. I planned some games with my roommate so I'll have a better feel for it after I actually play, but I just wanted to see what the general opinion on the update is.

Main thing I noticed was the psychic casters seem to be weaker but the rest of the army is more cost efficient/stronger so I don't really see that as much of an issue. However I'm not sure what HQ to run with now as nothing stands out to me yet. I'll probably have to try out a few different choices there. I always loved the variety in Eldar troop choices and for the most part the troops look even better this time around which is great. I also really like the Fire Prism changes and I'll continue to use one or two in my Heavy support slots.

As far as units I'm not that impressed with every close combat unit seems "meh" to me. I'll probably throw some Harlequins in my list just because I've always loved the models/lore and my friends I play with always seem to be afraid of them but that's about it for CC. Also I'm not that impressed with the flyer and will probably hold off on picking one up. I know Eldar is all about being a glass cannon but that unit is a little too glass cannon for me and is a bit expensive points wise haha.

If any of you had a chance to play with or against any Eldar, what do you guys think about the new rules? What units stand out?

The Man They Call Jayne

Wraithknights, Guardians, Warp Spiders. Done and done.

Personally I think that this codex can be horrifically powerful because of the sheer amount of AP2 it can throw out at anything.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Arguleon-veq

I think its a very fun book and for a casual gamer has lots of interesting and semi competative builds.

A Farseer is actually a really good bargain for a Lvl3 caster although the weakening of some of his old equipment is a pain for him.

Close combat is just pretty weak this edition for all armies, even super fast, durable, cheap effective close combat units like Necron Wraiths are suffering and rarely seeing combat thanks to overwhelming firepower.

The best thing in the new book are Wave Serpents. Put a twin linked scatter laser and a shuricannon on it and it becomes the best gunboat in the game, holo-fields and how easy it is to give it shrouding [thanks to warlocks/spiritseers] also make them durable and the laser lock rule from the scatter laser coupled with its shield weapon makes it our best anti air option too. It really is the difference between Eldar being a fairly weak army and a competative one.

Bike Seer Councils are still brutal but now have a far bigger chance of not getting the power they want/not getting that power off.

Wraithknights are an utter nightmare for some armies to deal with and very easy for others.

I think Warp Spiders are one of our better units although they suffer like close combat units thanks to massed firepower but at least their jump generators let them try to stay out of LOS and then hide after shooting up a unit.

Shadow Weaver Weapon Batteries are also a great bargain.

Bikes were already the scoring of choice and now they are WAY better AND cheaper, you can either run big units of these or simple 5 man Dire Avenger units in your Wave Serpents.

A lot of these things are discussed in more detail in the 'New Eldar Review' and 'Tactica Eldar' threads.

As for games I have a pair of BatReps up in the BatRep board, the first is using a Bike Council + Wave Serpents the second is using Triple Wraithknights and Bikes against a very similar list if you want to get an idea on how these units are working out.

I think you will enjoy the new book, its can compete without being broken and most units are 'takeable' without really weakening your list too much.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

loeldrad

Thanks for the responses guys!

I think I'm going to try to stay away from the Wraithknights for now as I already have some heavies that I already own that I'm looking to take that seem like they will be effective. Not to mention the price tag on a Wraithknight is something I'd like to avoid spending on a single unit haha. I'm thinking 2 of my fire prisms and a nice and cheap unit of Shadow Weaver Artillery will do well in my Heavy Support slots.

Back in 5th I used to run a bunch of Dire Avenger in Wave Serpent units so it's nice to see that is very effective in this book. Although I do want to give the guardians a go with their new rules as well so I'll probably make a few lists to try out. It's always good when your old units are still useful in your new book!  :)

Anyways thanks again for the quick input. I'll peak at the other threads as well.

Kur'os

I've only played against the new codex once, but I'll note my initial impressions.

The move-shoot-run or move-run-shoot is pretty potent.  An excellent means of charge prevention / 'kiting' assault units. 

The small unit sizes really seemed to hurt my opponent as I was able to outrange and focus on each unit too easily.  Most notably, his Dark Reapers and Jetbikes.

-Kur'os