News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The King's Court [Feeler / ideas thread]

Started by Wargamer, July 29, 2013, 10:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Okay, I've not yet fleshed all the rules for this out, but here's the basic gist.

Players will take the role of major individuals within the King's Court. You are men (or women) of power and influence; Knights, Barons, Priests and so forth.

Each player has a considerable amount of resources to use; a Baron, for example, not only has his own wargear but a castle, a standing army and the resources of several Knights to call upon. The Knights, in turn, rule land that they can raise troops from as needs be, and so on.

The game is divided into seasons, with different events being possible in each season. Military characters will be expected to go to war, or send troops to war, and generally serve their king. Priests may be required to partake in holy rituals at sacred places. Women, due to the laws of the land, are more restricted in what they can do. A player with female characters who wants to be able to do more than sit in court and get pregnant will have to convince the Court to re-write the laws of the land...

The ultimate goal of the game varies from player to player. My plan is to have randomly generated goals that ensure nobody knows the true motives of each other. For example, one player might have the objective of "Become King by the Year 1200.", whilst another might have the objective "Ensure the Kingdom does not fall by the Year 1200".

Currently, the game is low-fantasy. Mystical creatures are out, and Magic is very rare - you cannot choose to be a spellcaster, it has to happen by luck of the attributes table.

Class concepts are:

Heraldic Knight: You are a bad-ass warrior and everyone knows it. This class is the second-best warrior class (just a little shy of the Ordered Knight) and has a good mix of practical hitting skills and financial clout. However, their lack of political influence means they are going to have to do a lot of bowing and scraping if they hope to climb the ranks. Knights who don't obey their Feudal Lords risk exile, or even execution!

Ordered Knight: Ordered Knights are pure combat characters. They live as part of monastic orders (often with vows of chastity) and dedicate themselves to an ideal. Players who choose to be an Ordered Knight act as a go-between for the King.
Where the loyalty of an Order lies varies considerably. Some might be sworn to the Crown, others to a God, others to an ideal or a duty (such as guarding a specific city, or a strategically vital pass). Ordered Knights who do not obey the tenants of their Order risk being exiled.

Priest: Faith can move mountains, so they say. Fear of the unknown, and the wrath of an unseen God can certainly do wonders in Court! Priests are rarely good fighters (but it can happen) and their strength lies almost entirely in Court. They can range from simple men of self-imposed poverty to men with a suspiciously high amount of financial clout. As player characters represent significant members of the Church, they can also help sway the masses.
Technically, the King has no power over the Church and Priests can do what they like, within the laws of the land. In practice, the relationship between Church and State is a delicate balancing act. Priests who lose favour with the King may also find themselves out of favour among their peers.

Baron: Whilst a Baron can in theory be a Knight risen to power, at the start of the game Barons are men who have inherited land and power from others, rather than earning it themselves. Barons are not as good at fighting as Knights - they prefer not to risk their lives in anything resembling a real fight - but they have much greater political clout. As long as their Knights are successful (and loyal) a Baron has an easy time of rising in power and holding the ear of the Court. A Baron who cannot find good help, or who fails in his duties, isn't going to be a Baron for very long.

Miscellaneous: If anyone can think of another class that would fit this model, let me know! A couple of ideas I had were things like Foreign Mystics, Alchemists, Astronomers, Astrologers and so on and so forth.

One final note - players can only make new characters when their old one dies if they have a successor. For most classes this means you need to sire a son (or a daughter, but women have little power in the dark ages). For Priests, Ordered Knights and so on this means grooming an apprentice to follow in your glorious footsteps.

So, thoughts so far? :)
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

I like it. I would definitely be up for it.

You could consider a class of Mercinary Captain. A highly skilled warrior who's forces are up for hire. He would be able to provide a doctor, a blacksmith, maybe even an alchemist. Stuff like that. He takes on a job, he sticks with it until it is done and then he takes on the ext none. He might may be totally loyal to his current employer, or he may be willing to back stab in exchange for a bigger payday and better looting opportunities.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

Mabbz

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 29, 2013, 10:52:57 AM
How about Mistress?
I was just considering that. Alternatively, a baroness with an easily led husband. I'd even consider calling her Lady Macbeth ;).

My other thought was a court jester for some reason, but I'm somewhat doubtful of that being a good idea.

InsaneTD

I'm definitely considering a female character.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

How about a Duke? Basically a mix of a Baron and a Knight but not quite as good in any particular area, so essentially an all-rounder. Could be an old Knight or something so he's not got the management skills, which explains the lower financial clout and his age or an injury could explain why he's not quite as good in combat.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Wargamer

Dukes would be higher than Barons. It's likely that titles such as Duke or Earl probably get handed out as people rise through the social ranks.

I'm going to start building the random roll tables in the next few days, and decide exactly how combat and missions will be handled.

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Sounds fair enough to me then. Looks interesting. :)
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Eagle eye

Wargamer

Quote from: Eagle eye on August 03, 2013, 03:19:17 PM
how about a squire?
Too low in the food chain - a squire is essentially an Ordered Knight's backup character for if he dies. :P

Eagle eye

can the priest lead some forces only during some type of crusaide called by the pope?

Wargamer

A Priest could indeed lead men to war if the cause is holy... or if he can convince them it's holy. ;)

Eagle eye