News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Army Display Stand by BG Foster [IGMB]

Started by Narric, May 26, 2014, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Posting this here to see who would be interested. Nothing wrong with cross forum promotion?

BG Foster on IGMB has designed a display stand, primarily for Imperial Guard, that could easily be used by most armies, and possibly game systems provided they're using 25mm round bases.

Original IGMB thread: http://www.commissar.proboards.com/thread/18198/platoon-display-stand

Product assembled:

Product in pieces:

There is also a wall-mount version:

Foster is currently waiting on a wuote from a Laser cutter.

I personally compare it to the old GW Paintstation that was made of wood, which iirc retailed for ~£25. With that in mind, and knowing this display stand is 2ft wide, I'd assume it would be around £40.
I'm not sure if he is going with the wall mounted version as well, but I'm sure if he got interest in it beyond just me, that he would. I'd assume the wall mount display to be around £30-35 as it would use slightly less wood.

What do you guys think?

Sorck

That is certainly a pretty good design. However, the slot of the edges showing certainly doesn't look all that good. I'd want to cover then up. :P

I could probably make most parts of it in an afternoon with a 25mm flat bit (or maybe 26mm so the models definitely fit :P) and a band saw/circular saw. It may give me the encouragement I need to build my own CNC router/laser cutter though.

I think the 'desk mount' stand needs to be a bit steeper though. It just isn't an efficient use of space as it is. I suppose you can then argue that you may as well wall mount it if it gets much steeper.

Having extra space for chimeras or conscripts would be good. Interchangeable shelves perhaps?

The Man They Call Jayne

Are those bigger slots Dreadnought bases or Terminator/Crisis bases?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Sorck

BG Foster

Good news guys! I have been on the phone to the laser cutting company and I can happily announce I will be able to retail these at £35. On top of that they have also confirmed they are able to produce them in acrylic.

They are 60mm bases although 40mm bases and others are all in the works.

Narric

Hey Foster, cool to see you signed up here as well :)

£35 sounds perfectly reasonable for the product. I assume the acrylic would be more though?

BG Foster

I figured I should drop by and keep you all updated.

I'm waiting for confirmation on the cost of the acrylic version though I hope it wont be too much more if it is at all.

Sorck

Acrylic and MDF are pretty similar in cost from what I remember.

The only problem with acrylic over MDF/ABS is that it scratches like there's no tomorrow. Even a display stand may suffer from it.

I think you'd be best to get the generic sides for the units but produce several different shelves - so a 3 Infantry squad one, 2 infantry and a command squad, same with space for commissars/advisers etc. The HW shelf may be best having 6 on given that you usually have them in squads of 3. :)

BG Foster

I've been thinking guys and I'd like to give the stand some extra support and fixings but it would put the cost up by £5 so £40. Would people accept this or would you prefer to keep it a it is?

Deraj

Are you planning on providing options for shelves, or just as per the design? For anyone other than imperial guard I'd think it'd be better to replace 2/3 of the 60mm shelves with 40mm shelves.

Narric

Quote from: BG Foster on May 28, 2014, 04:18:02 PM
I've been thinking guys and I'd like to give the stand some extra support and fixings but it would put the cost up by £5 so £40. Would people accept this or would you prefer to keep it a it is?
I personally think it just needs a dowel between the bottom back corners.

BG Foster

There will be various shelving options available. I'm willing to take input and ideas on this.

Narric, I'm planning aluminium rods to hold it all together and to allow of joining multiple shelves together.

Narric

Will you be doing a Fantasy variant?

Quote from: BG Foster on May 28, 2014, 05:49:09 PM
Narric, I'm planning aluminium rods to hold it all together and to allow of joining multiple shelves together.
Sounds cool ^_^ Is the wall-shelf variant going through as well, or are you doing the display stand first then wants thats started and on sale proper, onto the wall-shelf?

BG Foster

Quote from: Narric on May 28, 2014, 07:14:42 PM
Will you be doing a Fantasy variant?

Yes I'm hoping to.
Quote from: Narric on May 28, 2014, 07:14:42 PM
Quote from: BG Foster on May 28, 2014, 05:49:09 PM
Sounds cool ^_^ Is the wall-shelf variant going through as well, or are you doing the display stand first then wants thats started and on sale proper, onto the wall-shelf?

I think it might have to be a stretch goal on the kickstarter but it will be there.

BG Foster

Ladies and Gentlemen the kickstarter has been submitted and is awaiting approval.