News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Space Marines First Impressions

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, September 08, 2013, 07:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Strange question, and a little off topic. Could someone send me the base loadout and the options for Centurians? Need it for a little project.

salamut2202

Tough, expensive, plenty of firepower, not on a bike.

So, rarely seen so far. When I do see them they actually die pretty quickly weather it be to overcharged ion weaponry, serpent shields, grav guns or weight of fire.

Matt1785

Quote from: salamut2202 on October 09, 2013, 11:48:07 PM
Tough, expensive, plenty of firepower, not on a bike.

So, rarely seen so far. When I do see them they actually die pretty quickly weather it be to overcharged ion weaponry, serpent shields, grav guns or weight of fire.

This with a +1, most over-rated unit in the book IMHO.  Everyone knows how many points they are, and knows that when they're dead, you've taken a considerable chunk out of your opponent, and he's against the ropes.

KCKitsune

Three Centurions in a Storm Raven become a "I don't like you. Go! Away!" button to Space Marines.  Throw them at something and watch that something die.  (Grav-Cannons with Grav Amps do bad things to tanks and monstrous creatures)

You have to load out your battlesuits (if you're Tau) with Early Warning Override just to have a shot at killing them before they rape whatever unit they have targeted with destruction.  Any other army will lose whatever they are targeting.  Also the Storm Raven is a really nasty unit for raping another target.  They fly in and use their four "super duper whamo-dyne" missiles to kill a Crisis team or tank.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Lord Sotek

Three centurions with grav weaponry and amps in Storm Ravens is also a small army's worth of points, which will be borderline useless if their tin can is shot down.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

salamut2202

Quote from: Lord Sotek on October 10, 2013, 08:32:54 PM
Three centurions with grav weaponry and amps in Storm Ravens is also a small army's worth of points, which will be borderline useless if their tin can is shot down.
Which with Chaos, Tau and Eldar blowing things out of the sky cheaper than your mother, it's that much of an stretch. :P

Charistoph

Quote from: salamut2202 on October 11, 2013, 01:31:11 AM
Which with Chaos, Tau and Eldar blowing things out of the sky cheaper than your mother, it's that much of an stretch. :P
Chaos' AA is more expensive than most others, I think.  They have 3 options, the HellDrake (which would largely have to give up its Flamer to be really effective), Havoks (and what a price THAT is), and the ADL.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Quote from: Charistoph on October 11, 2013, 04:31:45 PM
Quote from: salamut2202 on October 11, 2013, 01:31:11 AM
Chaos' AA is more expensive than most others, I think.  They have 3 options, the HellDrake (which would largely have to give up its Flamer to be really effective), Havoks (and what a price THAT is), and the ADL.
The Heldrake could still take out a Storm Talon with its Flamer, and at a distance too. The Autocannon just has more shots slighty higher Strength. There is also the Heldrakes ability to Vector Strike a Centurian flyer transport, which could leave the Centurians out in the open for a follow-up Heldrake assault.

AA-Havoks are slighty cheaper than a Heldrake, and can be used against more than just flyers. Autocannons are decent all-rounder weapons, whilst the ML is best for AA.

Not sure what you mean by the ADL :P

Simply put, though Chaos may be more expensive, it could probably handle twice as much as a dedicated Anti-air unit, making it a much better choice.

Cammerz

Quote from: Narric on October 11, 2013, 05:50:55 PM

Not sure what you mean by the ADL :P

Aegis Defence Line, with the Quad Gun or Icarus Lascannon.

Narric

Ahh

The ADL is only slightly cheaper than a AA Havok squad, and isn't as versatile. It can't launch an assault on a weakened enemy squad itself, it actually hinders the occupying squad from ding so themselves due to being terrain and would logically do so, so don't say you could just ignore that fact. Its granted Cover Save isn't that useful considering Power Armour, and the firepower your opponent would have to throw at the squad to force the use of said cover save.

You're also only looking at those two pages, because the Bastion for the same stuff is 25pts more, gives you a larger amount of protection, and has four Heavy Bolters for other things.

The ADL is litterally the "Poor Mans' Option" due to it being a sugnificantly smaller kit, and lower pricetag.

Lastly, if you're relying on something from the core rulebook such as a fortification to provide Anti-Aircraft support with a 6th edition codex, you're using your army wrong.

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on October 11, 2013, 05:50:55 PM
The Heldrake could still take out a Storm Talon with its Flamer, and at a distance too. The Autocannon just has more shots slighty higher Strength. There is also the Heldrakes ability to Vector Strike a Centurian flyer transport, which could leave the Centurians out in the open for a follow-up Heldrake assault.

Um, Template weapons cannot hit a Flyer unless it is Hovering, and since Talons have little need to Hover, I don't really see how that would be a common occurrence.  A BaleDrake would have to rely on others or its Vector Strike to take out a moving Flyer, by which time, a Talon could easily have a good chance to shoot it down, too.

And a Drake being deployed with its Cannon these days is almost unheard of.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."