News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1000pt Orks vs Imperial Guard 6th Edition (Narrative storytelling report)

Started by Cammerz, July 05, 2012, 01:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

Major Ross of the Adhon PDF was from a well-respected and wealthy Imperial Family and, whilst all were expected to serve some years in the military, Ross had always expected an easy time of it. Of course until recently it had been very peaceful with only regular inspections and drills requiring any effort at all. But this had all changed with the invasion of the Greenskins, damn them. Not only was Ross forced to march for miles every day towards something that was actually trying to kill him but he was also accompanied by two of the most unbearable men in the universe, Commissar Lords Callidon and Lupus. Lupus was a giant of a man who was made much larger by the addition of his great black Vanquisher tank which was setting this ridiculous pace, Lupus had effectively taken command of Ross

Cammerz

Major Ross and his Regimental Command crouched down behind a large rocky outcrop and listened to the unmistakable sound of Orks breaking things.
Ross began by sending his camo-cloaked sentries to scout ahead whilst remaining out of sight so the small veteran unit might catch the Orks unawares and pick them off one-by-one without the rest noticing. It shouldn

Scoutfox

Good to see the 6th edition reports start coming in. Karma for that.

I have always liked the narrative types of reports, so you have at least one member that will read yours. Much better than just the facts stated turn by turn, because then you start to care about the characters and want to see what happens to them. Keep it up?

I am on vacation in Maine so I don't have the rule book yet, and I am anxious to read it. Besides casualty removal what else did you like or dislike? Are you going to field or shelve any of your units?

Cammerz

Thanks for the reply Scoutfox, I'm glad you like the report.

Besides casualty removal I also quite liked the new Hull Points system, it means that a large infantry unit with a high enough strength weapon (in this case they only needed S4 for the Sentinel) can tear away the Hull and wreck the vehicle where in 5th the same action would probably just have stunned the crew at most. It makes the vehicles a lot more vulnerable but it makes sense for that to happen.

I also enjoyed the Character Challenge part, mainly just for the narrative. When I first read it I wasn't entirely convinced as I was still in the mindset of a Tau player and I couldn't see my Shas'O acception a duel with an Ork Warboss or Chaos Terminator Lord (and you get penalised for not accepting). I suppose as long as I keep my wekaker characters away from combat it'll be fine. (It could probably be abused a bit, if a squad sergeant doesn't have a high AP weapon but does have a lot of friends then challenge him to ensure that your character has a better chance of survival).

When I strode my Dreadnought into the pond I was a bit disappointed to see 'Daemon Bile' appear (for that is what it was) as that result requires a lot of psychic activity to have any affects at all. I don't like the idea of magic becoming such a large part of the game as if this was fantasy.

But to end on a high, I like the Overwatch rule where a unit can fire upon those charging them. Veteran unit 1 may not have achieved anything but at least they got a chance to shoot at the Meganobz before being wiped out in combat.

BigToof

Hi Cammerz!
First off, great report.  Scoutfox already gave you the karma, but I wanted to let  you know that I really enjoyed what  you had done here.
You might want to put in a little bit about play by play sort of deal as many people like the tactical aspect of the game as well.
I'd also like to know more about the Ork commander as well :)
Oh, and also, waned to know what you thought about the changes in the units from 5th to 6th.  How'd the Mega-Armored Nobz work for you?  Did you have any trouble working out challenges or wound allocation?

To sum it up: Great work, want to see more!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

Hi BT, I'm glad you liked the report.
As for the turn-by-turn reporting, I'm not sure there was a great deal which would deserve special mention. Most of it was just standard movement-shooting-combat as Major Ross saw it happen. I will mention Lord Commissar Callidon managing to roll three successful 5+ armour saves to avoid being instant deathed by the Ork Warboss before executing Ross for failing the morale check and then successfully doing it himself.
As for him, I simply found it a bit easier to write from the Imperial's perspective (and its probably a rare occurrence where the battle report is made from the point of view of the author's foe). Perhaps next time I'll get both sides of the battlefield in the fluff. I think I would have had some difficulty in writing Ork fluff that didn't sound almost exactly like yours, tactics aren't really their thing and I don't have an ex-Farseer to give the reader a narrator who they can identify with.

As for the 5th to 6th changes. Much of the gameplay didn't change much from last edition but I don't think I had much trouble getting a hang of it. The wound allocation was simple for shooting, close-combat was a bit more complicated as we weren't sure which of the models to remove (it happened in the Storm Troopers vs Grot fight, we decided to remove the basic troops before the characters when there was a choice). The Meganobz worked very well given that the trukk survived so I could get them into combat almost immediately, after that they just ate through units of glass veterans. My opponent simply had too many dangerous or important targets to deal with at once; the boyz who held the objective, the deffkoptas who destroyed the Vanquisher and the Meganobz in their trukk. The challenge was also simple, the best way to think of it is as being a separate combat in its own right with one model fighting another. The only points where the rest of the combat affect the challenge are the morale check at the end and if one side only has the character.

So, the next battle, whenever it comes, will probably be a 1000pt battle between Tau and Chaos Space Marines. So until then, I'll look forward to your own reports.

Cheers
- Cammerz