News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Battle Anecdotes

Started by BigToof, August 08, 2012, 03:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
I've realized that some of us have great games, but lack the time to do a full report.
Thus, I've created this sticky.
If you have a neat game where something fun, tragic, or otherwise notable happened, please leave as much as you like here.
Feel free to comment on each other, and hopefully it'll keep us all a bit closer and who knows, it might cause more reps to be made :)

Best,
-BT

------------------------------------

I recently had a pretty good game using IG and Sisters of Battle.
1500 pts, using a version of my O'Keefe's goons list, which centers around a Lord Commissar with Ogryn Mob.  Allied them with the sisters, and faced off against a Bad Moonz-style Orks with Battlewagons, Mega-Nobz and Flash Gitz.
Sort of surprising, as the sisters did amazingly well, especially my deep-striking Seraphim.
I eventually got to get my Cannoness into the Ogryn Deathstar and then just started rolling Ork mobz as we had preferred enemy on the charge.
The Dakkajets did hurt though, if only to my squishier mates.
A good game, and let me tell you: Don't underestimate the Nuns with Guns!
---------------------------
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Wargamer

Last game I played was won and lost by 2".

Pedro Kantor and a full squad of Marines attempted to charge my Guard lines. He had the Warlord trait that granted Furious Charge, so I was utterly boned. It would carry said unit into my deployment zone, winning him yet more VPs and carrying the game.

He came up short. My entire army opened up on the squad, and killed them all with a single surplus wound - if he'd charged and killed just one squad, I wouldn't have had enough firepower to kill Kantor. I won by a single Victory Point.

Amazing how one tiny event can totally reshape a game. :P
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

InsaneTD

This happened back in 4th ed before said editions Chaos Dex. I was using my Tau against a mates Iron Warriors with a Tooled up Daemon Prince. I had 12 Kroot plus a Shaper sitting in a forest just off center of the board  and he decided to remove them, using his Daemon Prince. As the story is now told, "The Daemon Prince walked into a forest and little while later, a Kroot Shaper emerges looking like nothing happened."

On the charge the Prince killed 2 kroot, the turn after, he killed three, and it went on like that for 4 turns before the shaper finally lands the killing blow, taking no wounds at all. They past every check he throw at them. I still lost the game but hell if that wasn't one of my more fun games. :P

El ShasOcho

I just had a unit of 5 nob bikers with a boss, all with cybork and FNP, pass 10 consecutive thunder hammer/ lightning claw saves, most of which were the natural invul saves. I rolled about 5 5-6s in a row, my opponent was absolutely flabbergasted and I felt genuinely bad about how ridiculous my rolling was. Two games before I had similar results, while one game before they all died to an entire army worth of splinter cannon and dark lance fire. This was also my first full games with the Bikers, needless to say it certainly won't be my last.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

Mabbz

For some reason I was playing in a six way game where each player had one force org. choice each. I had my CCS and a chimera that had driven of on it's own while the command squad fired madly at everything near. This, however is the tale of their chimera, not an incredibly tooled up command squad with Straken.

Having been ignored as it drove across the board, it eventually reached a combat involving Ghazghull Thraka, a bunch of nobs, a dreadknight with a hammer and some GK termies. I was bored, so I tank shocked. we quickly agreed on some house rules for tank shocking into combat (I wasn't allied to either player, so it seemed reasonable). Naturally both sides passed all their leadership tests, and both Ghazghull and the dreadknight declared death or glory.

Both failed to even dent the armour. Both were crushed beneath the armoured treads of a 70 point chimera. Sadly, Abbadon then wandered over and destroyed it, but still. Ouch.

El ShasOcho

Quote from: Mabbz on August 27, 2012, 02:20:01 PM
For some reason I was playing in a six way game where each player had one force org. choice each. I had my CCS and a chimera that had driven of on it's own while the command squad fired madly at everything near. This, however is the tale of their chimera, not an incredibly tooled up command squad with Straken.

Having been ignored as it drove across the board, it eventually reached a combat involving Ghazghull Thraka, a bunch of nobs, a dreadknight with a hammer and some GK termies. I was bored, so I tank shocked. we quickly agreed on some house rules for tank shocking into combat (I wasn't allied to either player, so it seemed reasonable). Naturally both sides passed all their leadership tests, and both Ghazghull and the dreadknight declared death or glory.

Both failed to even dent the armour. Both were crushed beneath the armoured treads of a 70 point chimera. Sadly, Abbadon then wandered over and destroyed it, but still. Ouch.

Did the same thing with a trygon and a Rhino once. It was glorious.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

BigToof

Just watched Horde Orks roll over an Air-Necron force.
Lootas+Ageis Line+Shoota denial = win

Wow, maybe things are sort of balanced after all?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Just had a 5000 point-per-side Apocalypse match, 2v2 players. 5k of Tau (I brought just over half 2000pts of these) vs a mixture of; Grey Knights, IG, Blood Angels, Necrons and Eldar.

Here's just a few things that each side had;
Tau -
Barracuda
2 Remora Stealth Fighters
4 Railheads
6 Broadsides
3 Stealth teams
O'Shovah with the Seven Samurai (our Warlord)

Assorted foes -
Eldrad (their Warlord)
2 Night Scythes
Dreadknight
2 squads of 5 Eldar Pathfinders
Several leman Russes, I think 1 standard and 2 Vanquishers
1 Deep-striking Land Raider
3 Varied units in Terminator armour (I think one of these was a Paladin unit)
3 other Psykers (GK Librarian, Primaris Pskyker and an Inquisitor)

The game was played along a 12'x4' table, with each army setting up along a short table edge (36" no-mans land in the centre). Most of the board was heavily covered in ruins except the far end of each deployment zone and a sorty of road going through the ruined city. So huge amounts of cover. There were 6 objectives spread around the board.
Each side had two Apocalypse assets, one of ours was a minefield which we spread across the road  on our opponent5s half of the board but they were exceptionally lucky with the Warlord traits and rolled the one which lets their entire army have the Moves-Through-Cover rule for Ruins (which is most of the board), and +1 to their cover saves in ruins (so effectively 3+ cover on almost all of the board).

It was a very fun battle which lasted around 8 hours. Highlights include;
- Flyers moving up and down the road blowing things up (very cinematic),
- My Fire Warriors charging a Hellhound with EMP grenades,
- Their Vindicator moving all the way through the ruins to assault the Broadside hill,
- The eventual death of the Dreadknight, its final wounds being lost to my Stealth team and a Broadside railgun shot.
- The rampage of the Dreadknight, Paladins, Terminators, a Chimera and 2 Hellhound varients up one side of the board against Farsight, some XV9s and a load of Fire Warriors,

and most impressive of all;
- a four or five turn combat for control of an objective between three (later two) Fire Warriors and a Blood Angel Assault Marine with a Sanguinary Priest (which ended in a tie at the end of turn 7).

The game ended with the not-Tau winning 4-1 (with the only other objective being contested by that combat). It was close all the way through but the not-Tau's warlord trait really won it for them from the very start.

So, a great game and I learnt some interesting things, namely that Rapid Fire weapons can move and shoot once at full range this edition! That Photon grenades are very worth their points and I will now always use them (EMPs are very cool too, especially when you have 12), That the addition of Snap-fire really changes the game, And that I need to find space in my army list for Stealth Battlesuits.
Also, this was my first game involving flyers, they were quite hard to shoot down but as we had them on both teams it balanced out and I think they improved the game.

BigToof

Sorry for the thread Necro, but I've been having some good luck with (of all things) a shooty Dark Eldar FOOT army.
Had a bit of an unfortunately straightforward fight versus Tyranids (poor sods), as I just chipped them to death with poison and ignores cover shenanigans...

Didn't want to make a rep of it, but I have to say that Dark Footdar is quite nasty if you get it going.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Railgun Convention

Hardly a Necro if A) you made it and B) it's a sticky. Jus' sayin'.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

BigToof

Haha, point, but there's a bit of a finger-shaking warning when I tried to write in it, so I figured that I should apologize as I'm "technically" breaking the rules :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Railgun Convention

Oh, and C), you're a Mod here, so you can ask yourself if it's okay. :P

Now, for the sake of contributing...

Back in 4th edition, I was in a 2v2 tournament. Myself and my friend both took our Space Marines, coordinating what we had to cover as many angles as possible, and it worked. Well, mostly. Our list included a Vindicator, a Predator, a Missile squad of Devastators, and a dozen or so tactical marines backed up by a librarian.

First battle was a table quarters battle against a Grey Knights/Chaos pairing. Most of our forces were backed up against a steep cliff in a corner, whilst the Vindicator swung round our left flank. Abbadon and a large squad of Bezerkers formed up as close to us as they could get, whilst a large squad of Grey Knights struck in on the left. The battle consisted mostly of the Chaos detachment charging forward and being taken down to Abbadon, who promptly routed most of the firebase, but the Vindicator, despite losing its cannon early on, slaughtered the Grey Knights and was able to claim a table quarter. With our home quarter still contested by the Librarian and Abbadon, the tank won us the game.

Round two was the same battle in reverse, but with Victory Points (the old KP), against Blood Angels and lots of Genestealers. The BA threw out a landspeeder - the Missile squad, mounted in a tower, took it down in an instant. Genestealers and Assault Marines tried to rush our left flank - the Vindicator and half a squad with a plasma gun stopped them cold. More 'stealers rushed our right side and reached the squad there, but were held up for the rest of the game, and blocked by the Predator, which nicely filled the gap between the tower the Missile squad was camping on and the edge of the table. We won that game by a landslide.

Round three put us up against a surprisingly similar list, except it replaced the Predator with Terminators, Missiles with more troops, and the Librarian with a Captain. The board was a cityscape, covered in roads and ruins. A road ran down the right side and across the midfields of both ends, and a corridor was on our left. Vindicators and Terminators took to the left, Predator and Tacticals took to the right, and our missiles ended up on a meagre structure in the middle.

Our left flank did well to start with, the Missile squad managing to wreck the enemy Vindicator whilst the terminators managed to shrug off the worst of our fire. The right flank, however, struggled to deal with the surge of enemy troops, and missile fire was mostly deflected - or even blocked outright (damn 4th edition area terrain!) - by the ruins. The game eventually ended with most of the Terminators destroyed by the Vindicator, but with our right flank in pieces and failing fast.

The game was close, but we eventually came up with the most victory points, winning us not just the game but the tournament!

And that must have been about 7 years ago now. Crikey.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Chicop76

I remember the time my Tau army was wiping out this sister army. Than what I call main reason #1 why I quit playing Tau, TheTank Shock. At the time this 55 point rhino was ablt to tank shock about 1k points worth of units of the table. I remember it was my HQ unit, stealth squad, crisis squad, and I think 1-2 fire warrior squads. Needless to say I quit that game and stopped playing for a while due to that mess.

Ironically after that game I think 50% of my Tau losses was to, guess what, tank shock. Needless to say I no longer ignore rhinos even if they are weaponless.

To be fair I remember a game I won with guard by puting my chimeras in a circle with my guard in the middle like how cowboys did with wagons vs indians. Surprisingly he couldn't hurt my vehicles since I killed all his anti tank off, glad no thunderhammers on his terminators. The game ended with him trying to glance death my Chimeras to get to my men in the center.

Tempest Six Two

Had an awesome game with my buddies about a month back, a 2500pts each 4 player apocalypse (so 10K), in which i really got to try out my BA assault units. Dropped them all in via deepstrike, and one of them was intercepted by two jump Bloodclaw packs after it'd finished off the SW scouts on the objective. The BCs hit home with a huge number of attacks, but the Blood Angels held firm and somehow dealt back a similar number.

Almost all the wounds on both sides kept punching through armour and the combat was brutal. Were it not for the Sanguinary Priest, the Angels would have faltered, but with the Blood Chalice nearby they went on to throw down loads of 5s and 6s for Feel No Pain turn after turn, with the Wolves seeming to lose 3 men for every Blood Angel that fell.

After three rounds I had defeated the bloodclaws (26 in total), yet only one gore-soaked BA assault marine remained. He jumped forward with his pack and claimed the central objective, and with it we took the game by 2 VPs.

In another older Apocalypse I remember ending up encircling Abbadon the Despoiler and a his Terminator Retinue with a ring of Dark Angel Tactical Squads brought in via drop pod and a couple in rhinos. 60 Tactical marines leapt from their transports and unleashed, some in rapid fire range, and the entire Terminator Squad vanished as they were rocked by insane amounts of firepower. After the fusilade Abbadon stood alone, reduced to one wound and very very angry- a curse on his lips, he charged towards the closest squad, intent on tearing them limb from limb, but failed to make the distance by an inch. The Sergeant fluidly brought up his Plasma pistol and blew the Despoiler's head into smoking chunks with a single shot.

Suffice to say, we then walked all over the heretic scum from then onwards, as they'd been hoping for Abbadon and his retinue to clear the way.
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Cammerz

Just completed day 1 of my Team Tournament. Our team of four contains; Grey Knights (Acolytes mainly, no actual GKs), Necrons ('Cron air, two of each flyer), Tau (4th edition because the new 'dex isn't a month old yet, with three Railheads), and my list which is CSMs with Daemon allies.

My list is;
Terminator Lord with Five Terminators,
20 CSMs,
30 Cultists,
10 Bloodletters,
Defiler,
7 Havocs (4 Lascannons),
Bloodthirster

My first game was against a Dark Angel Ravenwing list which besides having loads of bikes, also had a Land Raider Crusader containing a banner hich made every unit within 6" of the Raider have double the number of shots. I lost it in the end although I had been closing the gap after a fairly poor start. MVP goes to the Bloodthirster who single handedly wiped out; a unit of Bikers, a Land Speeder (the one which grants all those saves), the Land Raider, and the squad within which included his Warlord.
The mob of 20 Marines was fairly survivable until Samael and co. decided to assault them (after the plasma cannon shot of course). The 30 cultists sat on my objective and held off three attack bikes (killing two and making the other run away briefly). The bloodletters were poor, wiped out in a single round of shooting before they could do anything. The Havocs also did very little. The Defiler died early. Finally the Terminators deep-struck in front of the Land Raider and missed with both combi-meltas before being obliterated by mass bolter fire.
The Bloodthirster will have taken well over 100 rounds of incoming fire and he almost certainly saved my army from total annihilation.

Game 2 saw me playing an Ork list which included a big mob of Flash Gitz with Grotsnik and Badrukk. Having rolled well for their AP a couple of times the Flash Gitz demolished my marine horde (and wiped the rest out in combat). My Bloodthirster and the 'letters began on the board this game and whilst the 'letters were shot to bits early on, the 'thirster destroyed; a mob of boyz, a mob of burna boyz, a mob of deffkoptas, another mob of boyz, and was finally killed by the Flash Gitz.
My Terminators did a bit more in this match, destroying the burna boyz' trukk and then defeating the tankbustas. The Lord was slain by a tankhammer in his duel (instant death and all that). The last three met the Flash Gitz in combat for turn six and, whilst they destroyed the Gitz unit, they were themselves killed by Grotsnik who was one of the last two ork models on the table (the other being a burna bommer which I pretty much ignored).
The cultists and Havocs on an objective were attacked by Zagstruk with Stormboyz who killed the havocs in combat but were then overwatched to death by the huge mass of autofire.
I won this one.

Game 3 say Grey Knights bring a Storm Raven and a Land Raider Crusader (amongst other things). This game wasn't so great for my Bloodthirster who narrowly defeated a small squad of GK Terminators but was then shot to bits by a Purifier squad. My Terminators deep struck in near those same Terminators and were immediately wiped out after I rolled an appaling number of 1s. The Bloodletters lasted a bit longer as I kept them back to support the objective-holding Cultists. The Havocs finally managed to do something useful as they wrecked the lone Razorback and the Defiler popped the Land Raider open.
I eventually lost this one.