News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1000 points Grey Knights Terminators

Started by GreaterGoodNewZealand, April 13, 2013, 04:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreaterGoodNewZealand

This is my first attempt at a 1000 point Grey Knight terminator list. It's not a great list.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Psybolt Ammo           80

4 Paladins, Swords, Psybolt Ammo                                                                   240                       

5 Terminators, Psycannon, Halberds, Psybolt Ammo                                        255

5 Terminators, Psycannon, Swords, Psybolt Ammo                                          255

Dreadnought, Dual TL Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo                                         135

Total: 960 Points

I'm still 40 points under, but I'm not really sure where the best place would be to put them. I feel like I'm missing something, but I have no idea what.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Waaaghpower

If you played that against my orks, you'd be toast. Let me see what I can point out...
Well, you've got nothing to kill tough vehicles. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have a GK codex,) but it looks like your only weapons that can hurt Av14 are close combat. What are you going to do against any kind of tank line army?
You've also got little mobility and less protection. Terminators are indeed pretty hard to kill, but you've got no way to hide from enemy fire. A battle tank or shokk attack gun or anything else AP2 will eat you alive without transports.
You're firepower isn't impressive either. That isn't always a problem, after all you kick ass in close combat... but it also takes you three or four turns to reach CC because you've got no transports.

All in all, it just looks generally vulnerable to any well assembled killy army. You will pack a hell of a whallop in close combat, but it's just too easy to die before you reach your destination.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Chicop76

Just to point out his psycannons can take out armour 14. Strength 7 + 6 + 3 = 16, and don't forget that your vehicle side armour is 12 as well.

30 strength 5 ap 5 shots, 12 strength 7 rending, + 4 strength 8 ap 3 shoots. It's not a lot of fire power, but it is decent, plus the fact he is good in close combat.

The main problem is mobility which with this game mechanic you can run circles around storm shield terminators.

I personally go psycannon and auto cannon on my dreadnought and it has worked well and gives me added psycannons on the field. Personally 2 strength 8 seems to be enough with the psycannon shots.

However I think he would do fine against orks with that list. At 1k points orcs is not dishing out a lot of high quality models as well. I think he would do well against orcs due to all he was to do is sit back and kill your lootas and he can tackle anything else in combat.

Now if you said IG with a bunch a plasma than he would be in trouble. If orcs can muster diviation they would be scarry.

I think servo skulls wouldn't be a bad ideal. Also more psycannons wouldn't hurt. I think Paladins can take it as well. I almost forgot that paladins can spit out a large strength 5 pie plate as well.

The purpose of the inquisitor is to take the 30 point upgrade, so he has acess to psychic powers.

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Thank you for the replies. Mobility will definitely be an issue, and I know I could have more psycannons.

Quote from: Chicop76 on April 13, 2013, 09:54:14 AM
I think servo skulls wouldn't be a bad ideal. Also more psycannons wouldn't hurt. I think Paladins can take it as well. I almost forgot that paladins can spit out a large strength 5 pie plate as well.

The purpose of the inquisitor is to take the 30 point upgrade, so he has access to psychic powers.

Ok, well I'll chuck the level 1 psyker upgrade on the inquisitor, maybe drop the paladins since they aren't contributing too much overall and add in servo skulls.

Is this list any better?
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Terminator Armour, Level 1 Psyker, Hammerhand, Psycannon, Psybolt Ammo, 3 Servo Skulls      119

7 Terminators, Psycannon, 2 Daemon Hammers, Psybolt Ammo, Brotherhood Banner            350
7 Terminators, Psycannon, 2 Daemon Hammers, Psybolt Ammo, Brotherhood Banner            350

Dreadnought, dual TL autocannons, Psybolt Ammo                               135

Total: 954 Points
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Arguleon-veq

Thats much better and about as good as it gets with the models you have available for that kind of theme. The Inquisitor should always, always roll on divination though, if he gets misfortune then thats great but if he rolls anything else just swap it out for prescience.

There also no need for him to have psybolt ammo as it doesnt work on his psycannon.

If you drop the servo skulls I think you can actually afford to get a second Malleus Inquisitor and upgrade him to a Psyker so that both Termie units then have prescience. Sure he wont be in termie armour but he could be your Inquisitors apprentice or something.

Or you could drop a Termie out of each squad and the servoskulls and take another Inquistor exactly the same as the first, I think it will make your army really effective. Both Termie squad then have 9 wounds with 2+ saves, both will be re rolling misses, will have 2 psycannons and 3 hammers.

Im assuming you are planning on buying 3 boxes of GK termies? if so you will be 1 psycannon short so what I would do is use psilensers as your Inquisitor Psycannons, it will help make them stand out and you can pass it off as the inquisitors having heavily modified psycannons.

With this set up each unit is getting;

10S5+
8S7 a turn.

Thanks to prescience on both units thats 9 S5 hits and 7 S7 hits. That is really impressive at this points level as your army will get 18 S5, 14 S7 and 4 S8 hits a turn. Plus thanks to the 6 wounds on your inquisitors you actually have 18 2+ save wounds.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on April 13, 2013, 11:54:40 PM
Thats much better and about as good as it gets with the models you have available for that kind of theme. The Inquisitor should always, always roll on divination though, if he gets misfortune then thats great but if he rolls anything else just swap it out for prescience.

There also no need for him to have psybolt ammo as it doesnt work on his psycannon.

If you drop the servo skulls I think you can actually afford to get a second Malleus Inquisitor and upgrade him to a Psyker so that both Termie units then have prescience. Sure he wont be in termie armour but he could be your Inquisitors apprentice or something.

Or you could drop a Termie out of each squad and the servoskulls and take another Inquistor exactly the same as the first, I think it will make your army really effective. Both Termie squad then have 9 wounds with 2+ saves, both will be re rolling misses, will have 2 psycannons and 3 hammers.

Im assuming you are planning on buying 3 boxes of GK termies? if so you will be 1 psycannon short so what I would do is use psilensers as your Inquisitor Psycannons, it will help make them stand out and you can pass it off as the inquisitors having heavily modified psycannons.

With this set up each unit is getting;

10S5+
8S7 a turn.

Thanks to prescience on both units thats 9 S5 hits and 7 S7 hits. That is really impressive at this points level as your army will get 18 S5, 14 S7 and 4 S8 hits a turn. Plus thanks to the 6 wounds on your inquisitors you actually have 18 2+ save wounds.

Thanks Veq. I see what you mean here. Ideally, the second HQ would be a Hereticus inquisitor, since I want to have Sisters of Battle as an allied detachment, but it's ok. The second inquisitor would be stuck with carapace armour, but that's ok as I can stick him in the back of a terminator squad, and have Prescience. And I will have just the three boxes of terminators, so I'm having to make do with what I'd have access to. But you might be right about the servo skulls, actually.

Now let's see how this is looking:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Prescience    110
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Prescience                                                       55

Dreadnought, dual TL Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo                    135

Total: 1000 Points

Or alternately:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Prescience, Empyrean Brain Mines    120
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Prescience, Empyrean Brain Mines    120

6 Terminators, Psycannon, 2 Daemon Hammers, Psybolt Ammo, Brotherhood Banner            310
6 Terminators, Psycannon, 2 Daemon Hammers, Psybolt Ammo, Brotherhood Banner            310

Dreadnought, dual TL Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo                   135

Total: 995 Points

With the second list, I'd still have 25 points to spare.

Arguleon-veq

I think the second list will work much better, with the spare points id go for brain mines in your inquisitors although I cant quite remember how much they cost.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Well for the 2 inquisitors the brain mines would be 20 points all up. Honestly, I'd never noticed them before, but reading about them, they seem like something that isn't really too bad. I've edited my last post to reflect the addition of the mines.

Arguleon-veq

They are really nice, its a huge boost if something really big and nasty gets in on your termies that would probably kill them, you can just challenge with the inquisitor and it has a 50/50 chance of not even getting to fight each round because of the brain mines.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Those definitely sound awesome! So once I get my force up and running, I will definitely give them a go now that I know what they do.