News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1000 points Grey Knights

Started by GreaterGoodNewZealand, October 16, 2013, 07:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Hi guys. I made up a 1000 point list for (eventual) use at my local GW store. It's not a great list, so please feel free to critique it. I've decided the best thing to do is step away from a full terminator force since in my last game I found I just don't have enough bodies.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Lvl 1 Psyker (Prescience), Plasma Pistol, Power Armour         73
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Lvl 1 Psyker (Prescience), Psycannon, Terminator Armour              110

Strike Squad (10), 2x Psycannons                                                        220
Terminator Squad (10), 2x Psycannons, 5x Halberds, 3x Swords, 2x Daemonhammers      450

Dreadnought, Dual TL Autocannon, Psybolt Ammo                                          135
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Narric

Hey GGNZ

My personal opinion on Termies is they shouldn't be relied upon for Troops. It just means that heavier firepower will be directed at them, and it'll probably thin their numbers just as fast as if they were regular Grey Knights/Space Marines. Perhaps halve the Termy squad size, field them as the Elites choice (Paladins, right?), and include more Striker Knights?

I'd also suggest spliting up the Striker squad, so that your Psycannons can be threatening to more targets. Looking at the rulebook statline, they're pretty decent all-rounder weapons.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. I unfortunately don't have the GK codex, so I am shooting in the dark to be honest.

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Hey Narric.

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking about splitting my forces into combat squads and hugging cover a lot because I know mobility is a weak point. At one point I even considered taking one squad and just combat squadding it because of some stupid thought from reading the FAQ because I was getting so frustrated about it.

As for the Paladin idea, I do quite like it. I'll make another list tomorrow incorporating them and see how well that goes.

The terminators are like that because I have those models already and it just seemed the best use for what I already had. it's the same reason I have the power armoured inquisitor and the dreadnought, honestly. I just can't afford 40k (especially because 5 Grey Knights is NZ$64, or 33.67 pounds) and I need to keep costs down.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Narric

You can always test out army lists in Vassal. Then you're not retricted to what you already have, and you can then plan future purchases if you need them.

Do Grey Knights actually have the Combat Squad special rule? or are you just refering to doing two 5-man teams?

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Vassal is a good idea. I will look it up since I don't have it though.

Grey Knights do have the Combat Squad special rule. I was referring to one 10 man squad split up into two using said rules

This is the paladin inclusive list I came up with quickly to incorporate Narric's advice. Thanks Narric! :)

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, Lvl 1 Psyker (Prescience), Force Sword, Plasma Pistol, Power Armour              73

Paladin Squad (5), Swords, Halberds, 2x Psycannons, 2x Hammers             330

Strike Squad (10), 2x Psycannons, Daemonhammer                                                        230
Strike Squad (10), 2x Psycannons, Daemonhammer                                                        230

Dreadnought, Dual TL Autocannon, Psybolt Ammo                                          135

TOTAL: 998 points

Hopefully this is looking better than my original list, but as always, feel free to critique.

Arguleon-veq

I actually really like the list, your not even lacking in mobility as if your playing a game with a lot of objectives id simply combat squad one of the strike squads and deep strike them both in where needed. I do think you need at least one hammer in that Paladin squad though.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 29, 2013, 07:47:07 PM
I actually really like the list, your not even lacking in mobility as if your playing a game with a lot of objectives id simply combat squad one of the strike squads and deep strike them both in where needed. I do think you need at least one hammer in that Paladin squad though.

OK, hammers are definitely doable, and the list has been edited to reflect the paladins getting 2 hammers. As for the deep striking, having just looked over the rules for strike squads, I wasn't aware they could deep strike so I will definitely do that.

Arguleon-veq

Having multiple strike squads like that is also pretty good for denying enemy deepstriking, against Daemons who often bring either big flying monsters or a screamer council, their scoring will start off table, so if you get to deep strike onto an objective before them, they then cant risk deep striking anywhere near it because of warp quake.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 29, 2013, 10:13:07 PM
Having multiple strike squads like that is also pretty good for denying enemy deepstriking, against Daemons who often bring either big flying monsters or a screamer council, their scoring will start off table, so if you get to deep strike onto an objective before them, they then cant risk deep striking anywhere near it because of warp quake.

So deep strike with a combat-squaded strike squad and deny deep strike near my strike squads? I can do that. I was thinking of adding a couple of hammers to each strike squad too but I'm still not entirely sure whether to or not.

Arguleon-veq

Id always have at least one in each squad, the only problem is finding the points as you dont really have many places to cut the points to get them without losing other good options.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Actually I started fielding my screamer star and mcs on table. It dawn on me they can cover so much ground I can easily keep them outside most armies range of fire.

Against 3 riptides I have to kind ds anyway.

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 30, 2013, 07:47:56 PM
Id always have at least one in each squad, the only problem is finding the points as you dont really have many places to cut the points to get them without losing other good options.

Well I was going to drop the terminator armour and psycannon on the inquisitor because it drives the points up to 1015 with it. So dropping that and exchanging it for an inquisitor with a plasma pistol and power armour (because that's something I already have a model of) frees up 22 points, enough for a hammer in each squad. I will amend my list as soon as I can