News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Alternative Tau

Started by Gonefishing, June 10, 2012, 12:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonefishing

With the recent GW price rises, and the fact that GW no longer support Tourneys (at least here in the UK), I have been seriously considering alternative Tau models for a while now. Independant Tourneys generally do not have any restriction on what "Type" of model you use, as long as the "Counts as" model is consistent.

Generally I do not like the Tau model range, Tanks are all based on the same Chasis (so have no variation), Crisis Suits and Broadsides are really horrible models, and the legs constantly snap (etc). The only real models I like are Stealthsuits, Kroot and (Aesthically speaking) Fire Warriors.

So have been looking around the Internet for various different models to take the place of some of the staples of my list and am now seriously considering selling my Tau on ebay and buying some interesting and unique models (which in many cases are half the price of GW models).

HQ: Tau Commander

A Yu Jing Tag from Infinity - Awesome model and most expensive minature.

Troops:

Fire Warriors: Sticking with original model.

Kroot: Sticking with original model.

Kroot Hounds:

Chaos Hounds as a cheap good alternative to the metal minis.

Devilfish:

Elites:

Crisis Suits: Still looking for a good (cost effective) alternative for Crisis Suits - For now will use Converted Stealth Suits (XV25's) (Unless anyone has any good suggestions!)

Stealth Suits: Will use the old metal XV15's

Fast Attack

Gun Drones (Convert for Shield Drones etc) Choice 1:

Or

Gun Drones / (Convert for Shield Drones etc) Choice 2:

Choice two is probablly the winner here I think!

Piranha choice 1:

I like this model, but unsure what size it actually is - so it may be unsuitable (Its an Urban War/Void Syntha Model)

Or

Piranha Choice 2:

I absoulutely LOVE this model, think its one of the best Mini's I have ever seen, would love to use it as a Piranha (with a bit of Conversion) - Not sure its really approbriate though as its clearly not a skimmer and has a very different profile to an actual Piranha.

Heavy Support

Broadside:

This model also comes with 2 recoiless underslung rifles (Which will make good railguns) and has a similar look to the Commander Infinity Tag - Made by a company called Zandris IV

Hammerhead:

Other than the Crisis Suits (Which I am still looking for an alternative for) and the Piranhas - which I suspect I still need to find an alternative for - What do you guys think?

GF

salamut2202

I really don't like most of it, what I do like is more Eldary
Quote from: Gonefishing on June 10, 2012, 12:17:42 AM

Profiteroles go right to the thighs don't they?