News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines - WH:40k using Covert Operations rules (sign up/OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 18, 2016, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Stop interfering with my quest to do everything in the most convoluted and ill-advised manner possible! ;D
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

I shall have your message broadcast in a whole bunch of different codes (Ok, lets say three. Don't want to send too many, it'll let the Tau cross reference them). However, what happens next? I guarantee that you won't get a response (you may find out the result of your actions later), especially if you're still planning to deactivate the comms array after this. So where are you going?

The Man They Call Jayne

Give them a coded warning, just in case it works, then we better set course to intervene. If we can get into a stealthy position we might be able to ambush the rear of the attack group. And if we get very lucky, we might be able to get some big guns on the back of the Hammerhead.

If we do have to engage these guys properly, can I use a narrative point to try and make a shot to the engine pods on the tanks? Maybe disable them that way?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Disable the tracker and sneak behind the Hammerhead and shoot it up the jacksee :P

I'd say try and approach the Guard position from a different angle, maybe from the north?

Mabbz

Apologies for the delay, I've been caught up in real life event such as sore throats, bunnies and job interviews. I don't feel up to a proper post right now, but I shall attempt to give you something tomorrow.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 04, 2016, 01:37:29 PM
Give them a coded warning, just in case it works, then we better set course to intervene. If we can get into a stealthy position we might be able to ambush the rear of the attack group. And if we get very lucky, we might be able to get some big guns on the back of the Hammerhead.

If we do have to engage these guys properly, can I use a narrative point to try and make a shot to the engine pods on the tanks? Maybe disable them that way?
You'll have to be pretty lucky to get the drop on them. They know where you are and they'll see the 'fish coming long before you're in range. You'd have leave the 'fish some way back, and advance on foot.

As for disabling the engines, if you mean the thrusters then I'll happily swap any stunned and weapon destroyed results for an immobilised result free of charge (provided you tell me before any dice rolls). Anything beyond that would require narrative points, either one point for a re-roll or two for Tank Hunters (one turn only)

Quote from: Narric on April 04, 2016, 08:42:37 PM
Disable the tracker and sneak behind the Hammerhead and shoot it up the jacksee :P

I'd say try and approach the Guard position from a different angle, maybe from the north?
Even without the tracker, the devilfish will stand out. And if you try to go around then you'll be delayed getting there, and you'll probably be too late to make much difference.

Actually, I'm going to metagame for a moment, just to make something clear. The RP is called "Behind Enemy Lines" and is based off a set of rules designed for night-time infiltration missions. If you try and attack the Tau cadre directly then there is a good chance of a TPK. Guard forward staging points are going to be pretty tough to attack, so there is zero chance that these are the only Tau involved in the attack; you could be looking at least another cadre (probably two or three) with air support.

You are five soldiers and a badly damaged devilfish, and you want to infiltrate an apocolypse game. I guarantee that your message will have an effect on the battle (you may find out what at a later date), but trying to join the battle is unlikely to end well, and I don't want to end this RP so soon. Pick your battles; you can probably do more good if you stick to the stealthy aspect. I'm not saying you can't follow this course of action (I have a few ideas of where to go with the story if you do decide to try to help the guard directly), just that it's not really the point of this RP.

The Man They Call Jayne

I was thinking about the big swivelly thruster pods on the sides of the tanks, not the grav motors. But making it immobile on a Stunned/Weapon Destroyed works perfectly.

Narric

Quote from: Mabbz on April 07, 2016, 06:52:22 PM
Apologies for the delay, I've been caught up in real life event such as sore throats, bunnies and job interviews. I don't feel up to a proper post right now, but I shall attempt to give you something tomorrow.
Hope the Interviews went well, and the bunnies were delicious.

Quote from: Mabbz on April 07, 2016, 06:52:22 PM
Actually, I'm going to metagame for a moment, just to make something clear. The RP is called "Behind Enemy Lines" and is based off a set of rules designed for night-time infiltration missions. If you try and attack the Tau cadre directly then there is a good chance of a TPK. Guard forward staging points are going to be pretty tough to attack, so there is zero chance that these are the only Tau involved in the attack; you could be looking at least another cadre (probably two or three) with air support.

You are five soldiers and a badly damaged devilfish, and you want to infiltrate an apocolypse game. I guarantee that your message will have an effect on the battle (you may find out what at a later date), but trying to join the battle is unlikely to end well, and I don't want to end this RP so soon. Pick your battles; you can probably do more good if you stick to the stealthy aspect. I'm not saying you can't follow this course of action (I have a few ideas of where to go with the story if you do decide to try to help the guard directly), just that it's not really the point of this RP.
So press onward to the city, and continue the more sensible storyline? :P

The Man They Call Jayne

But...but...but...Apocalypse...We might be able to make off with some Vortex weapons. I am sure McTavish would be delighted with that haul. Maybe not about having to stay 500 yards from the rest of us at all times,but still :P

Mabbz

Can I have a consensus? Where are we going?

Quote from: Narric on April 07, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Hope the Interviews went well, and the bunnies were delicious.
I didn't get the job (I was close though, apparantly) and it turns out bunnies aren't that tasty.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 07, 2016, 10:22:12 PM
But...but...but...Apocalypse...We might be able to make off with some Vortex weapons. I am sure McTavish would be delighted with that haul. Maybe not about having to stay 500 yards from the rest of us at all times,but still :P
You will never ever ever get a vortex weapon :P

Wargamer

I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

I'm not driving so drivers choice. My job is to point at things and fill them with explosive reactive bolter rounds.

Narric

I say the sensible choice is the sensible choice, so to town it is :P

Mabbz

Little bit of story to make sure you don't think I'm dead. I'll post up your arrival near the city (I don't think driving a damaged devilfish into town is a good idea) either tomorrow or monday. Right now my head is hurting too much for anything too creative (damn illnesses)

Mabbz

For reference, the significant levels of resistance were in no small part down to your warning, along with the fact this paper doesn't say Fire Caste officials were delighted to be able to confirm the destruction of the imperial super-heavy tank (designation Baneblade).

Anyway, I have more Maria and the paper have more information that may or may not be useful, but I prefer to give it in response to in character questioning.

Mabbz

Actually, genuine question: do Earth Caste members use servo arm (or similar)?