News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Grand Ork WAAAGH!

Started by Waaaghpower, February 12, 2013, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

So, I joined a weekly escalation league. For now there have only been two battles, but I'm planning on posting a report for each one as it goes along.
For context, every time you win you add 100 points to your next list, every time you lose you add 200 points. (Starting at 500.) So, while the early games are balanced, later games may end up with pretty big point differences. Scoring works based on Victory Points, so a victory with only two VPs is actually worse than a loss with 4-5. Also, the army lists are generally from memory (Especially with my opponents) so there might be subtle inaccuracies.

Game 1: The WAAAGH Begins. (500 points each)
Armies: Orks VS Imperial Guard
Orks:
1 Warboss with Mega Armor, Attack Squig, bosspole
4 Meganobz (no gear, taken as troops)
1 Trukk (No gear, transport for Meganobz)
25 Shoota Boyz, Power Klaw/Bosspole Nob

Imperial Guard:
1 Command Squad
1 Commissar, (I think? Independant Character with a bolt pistol and a sword.)
10 Veterans
10 more Veterans

Deployment: It was a 4'-4' board, so we just had standard 12" from the board edge deployment.
Game type: The Relic.
Terrain: There were three pieces of Area terrain lined up in the middle of the board, (Because the hobby store was using 2 tables for 3 game boards, and we were on the middle table so there was a thin fault line) and nothing else.

I deployed first, putting my Trukk filled with pain on the left side of the board, close to the center. My boys piled up on the edge of their deployment, ready to make a beeline towards the objective.
He put his command squad in the far back, with both Veterans spread out in a defensive line, protecting the Command Squad and ready to issue orders. His Commissar (Once again, unsure of that label) was by himself, on the far left of the board (All lefts and rights are from my perspective.)

Turn one!
I charged my boys towards the Relic, then ran them as well. Meanwhile, my trukk shot forward 12", so that I could fire out. I managed to land just 1 wound on his commissar, even with all my Meganobz shooting out, so not my deadliest turn.
He then proceeded to fire both squads of Veterans at my boys, causing about ten wounds. It hurt, but I wasn't anywhere close to a leadership test yet. (FEARLESS FTW.) His commissar, meanwhile,  was apparently set aside to try and get a lucky shot on my truck. His pistol fired, and caused no damage. So, he charged!
What's dat, boss? Da umey with da sword be chargin us? Hurr hurr. FIRE!
I Overwatched him to death, getting First Blood AND Kill the Warlord.

Turn two!
My boys seized the Relic, and got into cover. Two very important things. My Meganobz got out of their Trukk and slogged forward, with my Boss seperating from the unit and heading towards his Command Squad. An insubstantial shooting phase followed, with a couple wounds against his Veterans, and absolutely jack done towards his Command Squad. My shootas caused a little damage to his other squad of Veterans, but once again my shooting did little harm. My assault phase was different. I called a WAAAGH!
Meganobz versus Vets, Boss versus Command Squad. The Vets died. The Command Squad caused no wounds and failed a leadership test, running off the board. (Apparently, placing them two inches from the board edge wasn't a good idea.)
With one squad of Vets left, he proceeded to cause zero wounds shooting at my Meganobz. Figuring he had nothing left to lose, he charged them. And died.

VICTORY FOR THE ORKS! A total of 6 victory points to zero, putting me substantially in the lead for the League.

Game two:
Those orks ripped through our men, sir!
That's okay, they won't stand a chance, this time. We brought the Space Marines.

Orks VS Dark Angles. 600 points each. (We both won our first game.)

Army lists:
Orks:
1 Warboss with Mega Armor, Attack Squig, bosspole
4 Meganobz (no gear, taken as troops)
1 Trukk (No gear, transport for Meganobz)
20 Shoota Boyz, Power Klaw/Bosspole Nob
Battlewagon w/ Deff Rolla, 3 big shootas
Templar:
Azreal, Supreme Grand Master.
I think a Captain? Some kind of cheap HQ choice.
A Squad of Terminators (Power Fists, a rocket launcher, and a couple Assault Cannons)
A squad of Space Marines (A Lascannon and a Plasma Cannon were in them, otherwise standard gear.)

Game type: Purge the Alien!
Deployment: 12" Standard (Once again, it was a 4'-4' board.)

Deployment Phase:
He got deployment first, and put all of his guys in a cluster near the top left corner. Perhaps not the most clever idea ever, as you'll later see...
I put all my boys in the Battlewagon, and then put my MegaNobz in the trukk. To deploy, I put my battlewagon directly in front of the trukk, making it nearly impossible for the space marines to see.

Turn One! I stole initiative.
And did very little with it... I moved my battlewagon forward, so that all he could see was my front armor. My trukk directly behind it, it only moved 12" and so technically could have shot... but it couldn't see anything.
He fired everything he had, but was only able to see the front armor of my Battlewagon. His Plasma Cannon hit but caused no damage, and his Lascannon missed.

Turn Two!
The exact same dang thing happened. He had deployed far enough away that a full turn of movement still left him out of assault range.
One of the Assault Cannons he had was actually able to see my side armor (for my Battlewagon) this time, and managed to cause a glancing hit. One structure point down, three to go... His lascannon missed again.

Turn Three!
Everything I had piled out of their vehicles after moving 6 or 12 inches forward. I shot a crapload of stuff into his unit and caused three terminators and a few marines to die. Then I assaulted...
And he surrendered.

Final score: 7 more Victory Points to me! None to him!

Currently I'm at 13 Victory points for the League. The closest is at 8... I think I'm doing well, but we'll see if I can stand up against armies with a couple hundred more points than me.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Arguleon-veq

Interesting rules for the league especially the victory being worth less than the VP's. Great start so far though, how many players are involved? Do you have to take some of the same units as the points go up are can you totally change your list?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Waaaghpower

There's about eight people, and you can change your list as much as you want between games.
On a side note, they are considering getting rid of the victory point rules and just counting wins by itself... partly because over 4 games I have 30 victory points and others are around ten. (I played two more lucky games: One 800 pointer where he took a Ghazkull that failed half his saves plus 3 individual killa kans... on a Big Guns Never Tire game. The other game was kill points, and my opponent took lots of small units hoping for map control.)

BigToof

Late, but not dead :)

Great to see you start this mini-blog on your campaign.
I do want to see more!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Karma'd in hopes that there will be more!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Waaaghpower

So, it's been a while. I'm not going to bore you with details of every individual game (Eh... I've won them all,) but all except one have been against marines with the exception of another Ork Player (most of the marine games were the same guy) so I'm just going to do a longer narrative. Expect it within a couple hours!

Waaaghpower

"Boss, da marines be coming to fight!"
"Dem beakies won't stand a chance. Tell da meks, we got some skrap coming in soon!
"Are you sure? Dey look like dey have really big guns."
"Then tommorow WE get da big guns."
-Boss Gragnutz, on the eve before the slaughter at Madelon.

(Most of the Marines are Black Templar. More specifically, a section of the chapter dedicated to heavy weapons and infantry.)

The Templar had massed their forces on the hill, ready to halt the advancing ork forces. Backup was on the way, but for now it was a small company ready to halt any invasion. Heavy weapons on the hill, a couple companies ready with their bolters loaded, and the Chapter Master himself waiting to fight the Warboss who was leading the attack. No Orks would be overwhelming them as long as the sun did shine.
The Orks, therefore, attacked at night. Engines were heard to roar and boys yelled as they charged, but until they were nearly upon the marines no shots could find their mark. Burning vats of prometheum created dirty clouds surrounding vehicles, but the real damage was done when the Burna Boys fired out of their stolen tank and cooked a squad alive inside their armor. What heavy weapons survived the initial onslaught were quickly wiped out by unstoppable charging boys, their numbers too great to stop before the green horde collided with them. They fought valiantly, but casualties were major and the orks took only superficial damage to their horde. After being bested in combat by the Warlord leaving the charge, their Chapter Master used his personal teleporter to retreat to the safety of the reserve lines where he recovered for the next battle.

The next battle was no better. Before they had time to fully prepare, the Orks were on the heels of the Dark Angels. They were forced to send out more heavy weapons to take cover in some ruined buildings on the edge of a town. This would buy the rest of them time to retreat. The Orks crashed through and left no survivors once again, causing another blow to Dark Angel strength. The marines knew they had to try something new.

"Now we give you this and you'll kill your boss, right?"
"Yessir, he's good as dead. Except I'll need a bit more Dakka."
"We've already armed you with heavy weapons, what else do you..."
Click.
"Let's see what else we can get you."
"Make it fly."

The orks were betrayed by their own forces before they could advance. A treacherous mek had accepted a great supply of scrap and bits and prometheum and firepower, in order to fight off the Boss that used to control him. An army of Killa Kans, a small company of rag-tag shoota boys, Lootas, and his pride and joy: A dakkajet. They swooped in to fight their greenskin brethren, putting up all the resistance they could. The Ork militia, however, had some heavy guns of their own. Before the Mek could even see his kans go to work, he was turned to jelly by enemy fire and his boys started running in terror. In small broken companies the orks fled for their lives, and the Kans found that they were unable to deal with any serious combat and quickly were disables. The pilot of the Dakkajet, meanwhile, got lost in the clouds and didn't show up until the battle ended. Still, deciding he could still damage, he strafed and slaughtered for a while, dodging enemy fire, until he was finally taken down.

It was time for the final Space Marine defense. Every scrap of heavy firepower they had was prepared. No tanks were available in the boggy conditions, they would simply get stuck in the mud, but a single Dreadnaught was brought to hopefully deal some damage. Still, they were helpless as the battle began.
Having looted the force field from the treacherous mek, the boss's vehicles found themselves impervious to most fire. What made it through the cover of dusk bounced harmlessly off of the field. The ork tanks rolled forward, smashing through the marine lines with their spiked deff rollas, quite literally rolling over the dread before it could hurt anything. The heavy guns mounted in ruins were soon overwhelmed by hordes of boys, and the captain himself fell for good when surrounded by a horde of boys with his retinue already slaughtered. The orks killed once more, and the Space Marines were done for good.

BigToof

Cool narrative.

Definitely would like to see more.

And you won them ALL?

This greenskin is impressed!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Waaaghpower

To be fair, the Dark Angels marine I played against half my games with wasn't the best player ever, and he didn't have enough models to add variety to his lists. The only tank he owns is a Dreadnought. And I haven't finished the escalation league yet, we've got quite a gew games to go.
Though, from this point on I'm going to focus more on playing people lower levels in the league to bring them up to soeed so I have more competition.