News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Death Guard BatRep Blog

Started by Arguleon-veq, March 12, 2013, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I have been using my Deathguard a fair bit lately, I was using them as more of a friendly list compared to my Warhounds[Wolves/Guard]. They have been performing far better than I would have expected though. So far they have taken on;

Dark Eldar[Hellion Heavy] - 1850
Space Wolves[Grey Hunter/Long Fang Horde] - 1850
Necrons[Usual Wraithwing] - 1850

To my suprise they beat all 3 armies, I was very shocked at how easily they handled the Wraithwing, I pretty much tabled it for barely any losses despite it being one of the tougher lists around. The spawn [led by Typhus to keep them alive from shooting] and helldrakes have been serious game winners. The spawn get rediculous when you cast biomancy powers on them for FnP and It Will Not Die.

A mate of mine is going the Throne of Skulls, despite it being GW's big tournament its never a very competative field thanks to the fact that they dont rank it and because of the stupid scoring system they have for it [you can win every game but finish way behind people that win 3 out of 5]. Because of this he is just taking a list he really likes which are his Wolfwing which hes spent a lot of time painting and plans to take along a leatherbound book of sagas for them detailing the saga of each member of his army. He still wants some practice with it though and after tabling a Blood Angel player twice who is going with him he wanted to try it out against a slightly more competative list but nothing too hard so we opted for my Deathguard.

His list;

Logan Grimnar
Rune Priest; Termie Armour, Axe
5 Wolf Guard Termies;
1 Power Sword+Storm Shield
1 Wolf Claw+Storm Bolter
1 Thunder Hammer+Storm Shield
1 Heavy Wep+Powerfist
1 Power Axe+Storm Bolter
5 Wolf Guard Termies;
1 Wolf Claw+Storm Bolter
1 Heavy Wep+Powerfist
1 Power Axe+Storm Bolter
5 Wolf Guard Termies;
1 Wolf Claw+Storm Bolter
1 Heavy Wep+Powerfist
1 Power Axe+Storm Bolter
5 Wolf Guard Termies;
1 Wolf Claw+Storm Bolter
1 Heavy Wep+Powerfist
1 Power Axe+Storm Bolter

The heavy weps are 2 Assault Cannons and 2 Cyclones.

I had to drop my list to 1500 so this is what I took;

Typhus;
Lvl3 Sorc;
5 Nurgle Spawn;
5 Plague Marines; 2 Melta
5 Plague Marines; 2 Melta
5 Plague Marines; 2 Plasma
5 Plague Marines; 2 Plasma
Vindicator
Vindicator

Helldrake;

Mission - Big Guns Never Tire [5]
Deployment - Long Ways [annoying when my longest range weapon is 24'']
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

You may prove me wrong,but I do not see you winning at all. You barey out number him for one. Also the heldrake can't really hurt his terms, although he can't really hurt it as well. Helldrake aside he has the advantage in assault and with long range fire. The 4 meltas and plasmas do give you a slight edge, but since each squad carries storm shileds as well it cuts down on how effective they are. If over 12" away that's 8 shots which 5-6 will hit causing 4-5 wounds killing one a turn. While he can sit back with 30 shots hitting 20 times wounding 6 killing one or two plague marines. Thanks to high toughness and fnp you both are about even. Which you have a slight advantage in numbers.

The problem I see is if you enter combat you are dead. The spawn are and nurgle marines can dish out a decent amount of attacks, but thy have to get through a 2+ save. He has thunderhammers and powerfist that negates your high toughness and you hoping that +5 fnp will save you.

If you have rhinos you can melta and plasma him while running circles around him, or if you take powerfist it will help some if he engages in combat.

The only advatage you have is plasma double tap. The problem with that if you can double tap than he can also assault. Another disadvantage is that you both are not very mobile, spawn are beast which is an advatage, but it's against terminaters who are combat monsters.

I will say the best tactic you have is to sit back and focus fire his shields down. Once his shields are gone than you can double tap and than assault with your spawn. Ideally you want to spread out your forces, but keep them in 24" range of each other and within spawn charging range. If he decides to bunch his forces together and assault un masse than you may have problems. Also it would be good ideal to start on the deployment line and slowly fall back shooting away.

Arguleon-veq

Ah yeah I forgot to put my two Vindis in that list lol.

Terrain/Deployment: We were playing on my jungle table so not much LOS blocking but plenty of 5+ jungle terrain. I had 2 objectives near to my deployment, he has 2 near his and one was between us both on a hill on the right flank.

Early Game: Night Fight was on and I went first. I got enfeeble, smite and the FnP It will not die powers for the Sorc and the large blast and malediction for Typhus. I parked one squad in cover on an objective, this was a melta squad so I figured they wouldnt achieve much anyway and they would be a nightmare to shift with fire thanks to FnP and cover. A plasma squad with Sorc headed towards the hill whilst the spawn with Typhus went down the middle. My other two squads were taking up positions around my two vindicators on my left flank who parked on a second objective.
He had his Rune Priest with Divination backfield to give him re rolls on his cyclone, Logan was out on my left with another cyclone and his other two squads were on my right. His missiles manage to strip a hull point from one Vindi.

I open up with both Vindis on Logans squad and a double hit sees Logan down to one wound and a dead termie. I then put 2 Plasma and 3 Bolt shots into them from a squad and a failed look out sir sees Logan dying to the plasma and my bolters drop another termie. My Helldrake didnt arrive.

The Sorc casts It will not die/FnP on the spawn who move up ready to charge the lone wolf. The Plasmas with Sorc get on the hill for the other objective and drop a termie with their plasmas. I fail the charge on the lone wolf though.

The lone wolf charges into my spawn/typhus and so do a termie squad from out on that flank whilst his cyclones take another hull point off a vindi.

In combat I wound the lone wolf in a challenge with Typhus whilst the spawn kill a termie for the loss of only 1 or 2 wounds.

Meat Grinder:

I get the helldrake on whilst I finish off the last of logans squad with vindi's/plasma. In combat I finish off the lone wolf with Typhus and drop a few more termies again for very few wounds, most of which I get back thanks to my power.

He piles another squad into my spawn knowing he needs to take them out whilst he finishes off a vindi with his last cyclone. In combat now that Typhus is free I smash most of the termies left and again he can hardly tough the spawn as he only has a few attacks that dont need 6's to wound and I have 5+FnP against them.

In my turn I start to put fire on his last unengaged squad with the rune priest but dont do much damage. In combat I take him down to just a couple of termies.

He takes out the last vindi with another cyclone shot but I finish off the termies in combat. Then in my turn my spawn rush his last squad, Typhus chopping down the Rune Priest whilst the spawn maul his termies leaving just one left.

In his turn 5 Typhus chops down the last termie, giving me the table.

Result: 12-2 to the Deathguard

Post Game Thoughts: As usual the spawn just dominated the game, the only way to really deal with them is mass attacks but his termies are only get at most 15 per squad and im easily doing enough wounds to drag one or 2 termies down a turn. Thanks to 'It will not die' the spawn had only lost 1 model by the end of the game. I did kill my Sorc last turn though with two double 1's with the two powers I tried to cast.

I kept most of my guys out of range besides the plasma and always made sure there was no possible charge he could get on my plague marines. The helldrake obviously had a rough game as it had no good targets, it didnt actually kill a single model during the game but it didnt need to as he had nothing that could deal with the spawn once logan was dead.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33