News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Fhanados takes on the world!

Started by Fhanados, March 25, 2013, 04:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

Ok not really the world... But on the weekend I gave my 750pt tourney list a test run and it went surprisingly well. In fact I done better on that day than I have done in at least 6 months of gaming combined!

So we were doing a practice run for the post-easter 750pt tournament at Chatswood GW without keeping track of "battle points" and what not, but rather testing the scenarios. Our table was a bit small (3x3 instead of 4x4) but we cut down our deployment zone to 6" to compensate a bit.

Terrain setup was the same in all 3 games, and I took the same table edge. A doorless bastion was in the opposite left corner , a crater to the right, a bigger crater almost in the centre with a big statue next to it. Another crater was in my left corner and a ruined aquila on the right.

My Chaos Space Marines army

HQ
Sorcerer: L1, Force Mace, Pyromancy
Sorcerer: L1, Force Sword, Biomancy
TROOPS
Cultists x10: Autopistol/CCW, 1x Flamer, Shotgun
Cultists x10: Autoguns, Heavy Stubber
Chaos Marines x6: 1x Plasma gun, 3x Bolter, 1x Bolt Pistol/CCW, Champ (no gear)
Rhino: Havoc Launcher
Chaos Marines x6: 1x Plasma gun, 3x Bolter, 1x Bolt Pistol/CCW, Champ (no gear)
Rhino: Havoc Launcher
HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator
FORTIFICATION
Aegis Defense Line: Quadgun

Game 1 - Crusade: 5 Objectives, bonus points for the middle, no night fighting.
Opponent: Grey Knights

HQ
Coteaz
Inquisitor Lord: 2x Daemon Blades
TROOPS
Grey Knights x10: Swords, 2x Psycannon, Psybolt ammo
Death Cult Assassins x4
Razorback: Heavy bolters, Psybolt ammo
HEAVY
Dreadknight: Heavy Incinerator, Doomfists
FORTIFICATION
Aegis Defense Line: Quadgun

We rolled for powers and I honestly can't remember what he got because he never used any of them! I got Iron Arm on my Swordcerer and the 4+ invuln buff for my Pyro. We rolled for traits and he got Move Through Cover with his Inquisitor and I got Master of Deception with 3 Infiltrators.

I lost first turn and he deployed.

The Grey Knights were combat squadded, with the Psycannons taking up position behind his defense line, Justicar manning the gun and claiming one objective, which gave no bonus. The second half stayed in reserves to deepstrike later. The Razorback and Dreadknight sat out of LOS behind the bastion and he was done.

My deployment was pretty average. Close combat Cultists were held in reserves, the Rhinos lined up next to the Vinidi to protect its sides and when deploying infiltrators I set up the ranged cultists at the Quadgun, claiming an objective and giving their autoguns skyfire!

TURN 1
Razorback and Dreadknight move out of hiding towards my frontline. I hate that damn robot! Due to my kinda shitty grasp of TLOS he managed to get some hits on my Vindicator's side armour. One HP shaved off, but nothing too harsh.

My tanks shuffle around a bit and I open up on the GKs with Havoc Launchers, dropping 3 of them. The Vindicator blows a wound of the Dreadknight and a hullpoint off the Razorback. My quadgun shoots at his and takes a wound off it.

TURN 2
GKs strike in behind my lines, taking aim at the rear of my Rhino with their S5 stormbolters. I'll have none of that and take down 3 with my Interceptor shots from the Quadgun. Despite this they still manage to inflict Crew Shaken on a Rhino, taking it down to 1HP. The Dreadknight moves forward and flames another Rhino, doing nothing. The Razorback makes a dash for my Defense Line, popping smoke as it comes to a halt. The defensive GK unit take some shots at my quadgun cultists, killing a few and forcing morale. The cowardly Cultists decide to leg it straight into the waiting Grey Knights. Goodbye Cultists!

My close combat Cultists come in from the right side and head straight for his Quadgun and Psycannons. A combination of shitty pistols, a shotgun and a flamer finish off the Grey Knights and free up the Quadgun and objective for the taking. My Marines all bail out of the Rhinos to face the Dreadknight. Combined fire from both units and their leading sorcerers bring the monstrous abomination against codex balance to its knees. With the major threat gone my Rhinos open up on the two remaining GKs, killing one. The Vindicator blows both a hullpoint and the Heavy Bolter off the Razorback and I nod my head, satisfied with the results.

TURN 3
Coteaz and Co bail out and head for my quadgun in support of the lone GK. Quadgun and cyber eagle attacks (seriously how is a freaking robot bird more of a threat and explosive bolt shells?) whittle down the Pyro's unit, who are currently occupying the middle. Somehow one of my Rhinos dies but I'm not quite sure how, my memory is a bit fuzzy.

My Cultists move to man the quadgun. An argument ensues whether or not I can fire it and we decide on snap shots only, but then I realise I need to be in base contact so I get no shots anyway. My Marines move towards the Assassin/Inquisitor unit and open up, killing most of the assassins and getting both characters down to 1 wound each. Somehow the lone GK survives the bombardment from the last Rhino and the Vindicator misses by a mile.

TURN 4
Coteaz and friends make a dash towards my Warlord's unit. Shooting cuts them down a bit more and is followed up by a charge. He goes to roll for his Death Cult assassin but I remind him it has no grenades. I strike first and kill nothing, and he kills the entire unit bar the Sorcerer. A failed Ld roll sees me break for it and run for the edge, narrowly escaping being cut to ribbons by the Assasin.

My mace Sorcerer runs out of his unit to tie up Coteaz, while only the quadgun has Line of Sight to the remaining enemies. The Quadgun fires at the lone GK, who passes his saves. The mace Sorcerer charges but rolls too low to make it in.

TURN 5
Coteaz makes a run towards the Cultists, but rolls crap for moving through cover. Shooting kills off my Pyromancer but other than that nothing happens.

My turn is just as uneventful, with me consolidating into a congo line across 2 objectives only to find that I can only claim one. I go fot the middle one for bonus points.

We roll for turn 6 and up comes a 1. The game ends.

Overall I think I went quite well. A few bad decisions late game cost me one of my CSM squads, and if they survived I'd have 3 objectives to his 1, but the Rhinos performed much better than I expected them to. Victory for Chaos!

Game 2 - Purge the Alien: Kill points, bonus for killing the opponents warlord with your own, Nightfighting first turn.
Opponent: Blood Angels

HQ
Chapter Master: Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Power Fist, Plasma Pistol
ELITE
Priest: Close Combat Weapon, Bolt Pistol
TROOPS
Assault Marines x6: Plasma Pistol x1
Assault Marines x6: Plasma Pistol x1
Tactical Marines x10: Missile Launcher, Melta
FAST
Baal Predator: Heavy Flamers, Inferno Cannon

My Warlord gets Soul Blaze for himself and his unit, and the Blood Angels get something pointless. My powers are the Primaris power for the Pyro, and Warp Speed (or whatever it is, I and A buff) for the Bio. He rolls first turn and away we go!

He deploys behind the statue and bastion, with the Tacticals just behind the crater. My deployment is basically the same as before.

TURN 1
Night fighting gave him a first turn advantage, so he moves the Tacticals into the crater and the Assaults out of LOS.

With only the Tacticals to shoot at, I shuffle my tanks around moving the vindicator forward and unleash hell. 6 Space Marines die.

TURN 2
Predator comes in, flanking my defense line. An awesome amount of flames kills 7 cultists from one unit, and 4 from the other and also takes a wound off the quadgun. Not liking fire, the Cultists decide to hoof it off the board and with that one round of fire I lose 20 models. Nothing else really happens.

TURN ??
I don't remember the rest too well, it went so quickly I had no idea what turn it was!
I disembark one unit near each Assault squad and turn my Vindicator to take aim at the Predator. Rhinos kill all but one Tactical Marine and gunfire drops 2-3 Assault Marines from each squad. The Vindicator stuns the Predator and my Sorcerers charge, issuing challenges to their relevant opponents. The Mace Sorcerer drops a Sergeant, gaining Instant Death for his melee attacks. The Sword wielding Sorcerer is buffed to the gills with +3I and +3A and makes short work of the enemy warlord, scoring me extra points. In the end a lone Space Marine faces the wrath of everything. I form up a nice circle around him preparing to unleash mass death. My Warlord steps up to the task with a single shot from the plasma pistol ending the game. Somehow, somewhere the predator died but I don't recall the specifics.

Tabled him! He seemed to have had very few models, and would have had even less if he took his usual unit of kitted out Death Company. I don't know what he could have done better, as I'm not familiar with the codex but a bit more range would have done him wonders. That said, with the cultists downI have also come to dislike the force mace/stave. AP4 just doesn't cut it for me.

Game 3 - Relic: Bonus for first to get the relic
Opponent: Necrons

HQ
Overlord: Staff of Light, Tesseract Labyrinth, Mindshackle Scarabs, Res Orb, Semp. Weave, Phase Shifter (Shit I think this was a bit more wargear than he could really afford in this point game... oh well)
TROOPS
Immortals x5: Tesla
Warriors x20
FAST
Scarab Swarms x6
HEAVY
Doomsday Arc

I get Iron Arm and Inferno for my powers, and some rubbish thing for Warlord.

I go first and deploy mostly the same as previously. There really isn't much room for variety. His Immortals hide behind the bastion and his Warriors behind the crater

TURN 1
Heavy gunfire takes down about 5 warriors, 3 of which get back up. 3 Scarab Swarms also go down.

The Doomsday Arc kills off most of my pistol cultists, but they hold. Warriors claim the Relic. Gauss/Tesla fails to do a whole lot and it's on to next turn.

TURN 2
My Rhinos edge forwards, taking shots at the Warriors as they go. A handful die, but a few get back up. Cultists move up with the combat unit manning the quadgun and the Autogun unit moving to get into rapid-fire range next turn.

Not much moving, only scarabs moved fowards. The Arc shoots and scatters too far to do any damage, and Gauss shaves a HP off a Rhino. The Scarab swarms really shine when they charge the Vindicator, stripping it of 3 points of armour but no damage.

Turn 3
I bail out of my transports, on squad heading to the Immortals and one towards the Warriors. Torrents of gunfire kill off 11 warriors, but when the dust settles only 3 don't get up. In desparation I charge the Warrior blob, challenging the lord to a duel. He pops the labyrinth and I panic. The gods smile upon me and a 1 appears on the dice. My backswing takes 2 wounds off him, winning the combat by 2. He rolls 11 for leadership and falls back, but not far enough. The whole warrior blob phases out of existence as my Warlord howls his victory to the Gods, who in turn grant him +1WS for his efforts.

Doomsday fire starts putting the hurt on me, killing a bunch of Marines and instant deathing my Warlord. Immortals let loose but fail to damage the weakened Vindicator. Scarabs have another dig at the Vindicator, wrecking it after reducing its armour some more.

Turn 4
EVERYTHING runs for the relic for me. As long as something lives through the inevitable pie plate I can win this. A few shots clean up the Scarabs and the remaining Sorcerer charges the Immortals, killing one. From here on every turn onwards is the same. I kill an Immortal, he blasts away at my troops. Eventually the game ends and I hold the relic. Victory for Chaos!

Overall Postgame Thoughts
My list went very well. Much better than I had thought it would. The Rhinos protected me from small arms fire and provided decent range support from havoc launchers. The Vindicator actually hit things, and I'm pretty sure in at least one game it made its points back! The Cultists ran like sissies, but that was to be expected. I think I'd like MORE Cultists, but I don't really have the models for it. My biggest letdown was the Mace Sorcerer. I just don't feel like AP4 is good enough, especially with all the Sv3+ running round. I think I might drop one Sorcerer and throw in something else. Maybe a lone Obliterator would be a nice addition, or perhaps some more infantry bodies. Pretty happy with the result, although I'm well aware I didn't face deadly deadly net lists.

Arguleon-veq

Some great results, that first list you played against was pretty tough. Ive commented on your list in the army list board but I really do think those Rhinos are a good call at this points level, as you said; they protect you from small arms fire and put out some nice firepower of their own at this level.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Fhanados

Thanks man. The GK player is a long time opponent/friend of mine and he is a big fan of competitive lists. It makes it hard for me because I like to run things that look awesome (like possessed) but I found out long ago that bringing anything sub-par to the field against GK and IG netlists is suicide. The Rhinos done brilliantly in every game, and if I had another one I'd definitely use it. In fact, if I had the models for it I'd cut both CSM units to 5, add another 5 man plasma unit in, put plasma pistols on the champs, and throw in another Rhino. The havoc launchers, despite making the rhinos more expensive, provided long range support and being twin linked made a much bigger difference than I expected it to.

BigToof

Agreed on the GKs.

When I saw the lists I thought that you might get rolled, but you did quite well for yourself.

Plasma is very nice against GKs, and I'm a bit surprised to see Rhinos lasting as long as they did!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3