News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The New Eldar Alliance vs. Tzeench Daemons/CSM (1500) in "The Replacements"

Started by BigToof, June 23, 2013, 11:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

The New Eldar Alliance vs. Tzeench Daemons/CSM (1500) in "The Replacements"
-------------------------------------

Hi All,
No, not dead.
Just, away.  Thankfully more of in exile rather than completely destroyed.
So, I'll hopefully be able to leave reports here and there.  Kind of like the Solitaire...
Needless to say, I missed you all, and hope that you will enjoy this COMPLETE report.
I might not be able to reply with my usual aplomb and enthusiastic timeliness, but rest assured that I will read them all and they are greatly appreciated.
Oh, and, thank you, thank you so much for your kind words.
I'm in a bad spot and they really helped me through it.

Your Friend.

Best,
-BT

-------------------------------

---------------
The Lists
---------------

Eldar/Dark Eldar Alliance (1500): 46 Infantry, 2 Vehicles, 1 MC; 11 VPs
Farseer Thielbane w/Jetbike, Spirit Stone
Spiritseer Galendor
Baroness Starsparkle (Baron Sathonyx)
Jetbikesx3
Wraithguardx5 in Wave Serpent w/Scatter Laser, Holofield
Hellionsx15
Wychesx10, Haywire Grenades, Hekatrix Allonia w/Venom Blade in Raider
Warp Spidersx10
Wraithknight

Tzeench Assault Force (1500): 50 Infantry, 1 Vehicle, 1MC; 10 VPs
Lord of Change, Psyker 3, FNP (4+), 3+ Armor Save
Herald of Tzeench, Psyker 3, Book, Shooty Aura
Herald of Tzeench, Psyker 3, Portal, Shooty Aura
Pink Horrorsx11
Pink Horrorsx11
Flesh Houndsx13
Flesh Houndsx13
Sorcerer w/Force Staff
Cultistsx10
Helldrake

----------------------------------
Chapter Seven: Desperate Measures
Farseer Thielbane looked around at his rather rag-tag assembled forces.  He wasn't sure where to begin.  So many of his forces that he had initially brought had been destroyed by the Tau, and now he had to make do with the remnants and whatever and whoever he could find on short notice.  And they were tasked to do the impossible with forces that barely understood what they were doing themselves.

Untested, untrustworthy and proven to failure at a drop of a hat.

But, for some reason, the Runes said they had a chance.  And the only other option, really, was for all of them to die horribly.

As he had thought, the Tau had foolishly released a schism to the Warp, and now all sorts of Daemons were flooding out.  The hole had to be sealed as quickly as possible, and sadly enough, his forces were the only ones capable and willing to do so.  Of course, that was a rather loose definition of "capable" and "willing."  Still, he had done more with less in the past.

He shook his head at the thought.  That wasn't quite right.  Captain Thielbane of the Scarlet Serpents, Scourge of the Imperium and Corsair Prince had done all of that.  Farseer Thielbane was just someone who guided others down a capable path, not to dive haphazardly down the jaws of death, guns blazing.  He sighed again.  For the first time, in perhaps ever, he was really missing Y'stral.  As bombastic, arrogant, and aggravating as the Archon was, he at least had the drive to keep the situation together.  Also, the whole willingness to murder in a blink of an eye helped as well.  But, it would take quite some time before the Haemonculi would be able to put him back together, and that was not a luxury they could afford.

"Captain!  Captain!"

Thielbane turned and was almost knocked off his feet by the shorter Eldar who grabbed him in a fierce hug.

"Urg.  Uh, yes.  I..."

The Eldar backed away, and Thiel couldn't help but smile a bit at the newly minted "Baroness" Starsparkle.  With the Archon out of commission, it was decided that Thiel should take command, if only that the rest of the Kabal hated each other enough to vote for an outsider as "temporary" Archon.  That, and they were fairly certain that Thiel was the only person the Archon wouldn't murder when he found out that someone had taken his position, if only for a moment.

At first, Thielbane was reluctant on the whole situation, but major decisions had to be made.  He needed a field commander, and as much as he loved Allonia, he couldn't burden her with command.  That, and as much as he cared about her, he could tell that she would fall apart with anxiety at the possibility of being in charge.  Starsparkle, on the other hand, was young, naive, and enthusiastic to the point of inducing cringes on all passerby.  Also, fearless and unflappable in the face of face of mortal danger.  In other words, a perfect forward commander who could lead by example and hopefully not get their socks shot off in the first few minutes.  As an Archon, it was a fairly simple matter to give her a title, and the young one had just run with it.

Star smiled a dazzling grin in front of him, and he looked at her new Wychsuit, now covered with new insignias of her station.  Her hair was also redone in a more elegant curl rather than the nest of pointy fronds that once sat on her head.  It almost made her look respectable, rather than a youngling trying on her mother's makeup.  Still, her smile and energy remained stayed the same.  Thiel smiled to himself, and then frowned as he noticed the Skyboard she had brought with her.

"Star?  What...  Why do you have a Skyboard?"

Starsparkle nodded with barely contained energy, "Oh, isn't it grand, Captain!  The Ponies and I couldn't put enough Jetbikes together, so we went with Skyboards!  I managed to even get the Bronies to help out!"

"That wasn't part of the...  Wait, the... who?"

"Oh...  They're...  Uh, guys."

Thielbane raised an eyebrow.  "I thought the Sky Ponies were all female and..."

Star brought up a finger to her lips, cutting him off, and then looked around.  When she was satisfied noone was listening she said, "They don't think we know.  I don't wanna break it to them.  Just roll with it."  She gave him a conspiratorial nod, and an overdone wink, causing Thiel to just shake his head.  Still, things could be worse.

"Farseer?"

Thielbane looked over to see the newest addition to his troupe.  Wearing spotless Runic Armor and robes with the colours of the Craftworld Iyanden, Spiritseer Galendor stood at attention, looking around nervously and trying not to look at Star.  Thiel shook his head.  Galen was one of the most timid, sheltered Eldar he had ever met, and could probably count the number of actual living Eldar he knew on one hand.  He had gone early to the path of the Spiritseer and was clearly more comfortable arund the dead than the living.  Being around a girl was probably going to give him... difficulties.

The Spiritseer coughed, "I...  I would like to..."

"New Friend!"

Before Thiel could stop her, Starsparkle ran over and hug-tackled Galen to the ground.  The Spiritseer went down in a heap and Thielbane winced slightly, hoping that Galen had remembered to activate his armor.  After a few moments of both of them sprawled on the ground, Thiel walked over and tried not to roll his eyes when he saw Galen frozen in place.  The Seer hadn't even taken his helmet off, but Thiel could sense his mix of fear and confusion even without powers.

"Star?  Can you let him up?"

Starsparkle nodded, and bounced up to her feet.  She pulled Galen up, who stood speechlessly as she pranced around a bit.

"Sorry, sorry!  Must be the new drugs!  Oh, Captain they are SO good.  But, I can't take 'em on the battlefield anymore 'cause I'm a Baroness."

Thielbane raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"Yeah, have to set a good example.  Allonia said so.  Don't worry, I'm just 100% extra-posh that way.  Ooh!  I'll do more laps!  See you!"

As Star ran off, Thielbane walked over to Galen who was still trying to get his brain in gear.

"Galen?  Are you... alright?"

There was a slight whimper before the Spiritseer spoke, "She...  I...  Soft."

Thielbane sighed, "Yes, Galen, they are. Now, are your Wraiths ready?"

The Spiritseer shook a bit and Thielbane nodded to himself as he saw Galen pop back to attention as more familiar territory was being discussed.

"Yes, Farseer.  The Wraithguard and Wraithknight are ready and yours to command.  Well, actually, mine to command, but that's... besides the point.  I...  Are you sure they won't be damaged?  I could get in a lot of trouble if..."

Thielbane shook his head, "They'll be fine, Galen."

The Spiritseer rubbed his hands nervously, "It's just...  I...  I'm not supposed to take them out.  Or go outside myself.  I'm not sure if I like it here.  It's so... big."

Thielbane nodded, "Yes, Galen, I know.  But, really, I think you'll like it.  After all, you do owe me for those lost Spirit Stones."

Galendor bit his lip, "I...  I know Thiel, I mean... Farseer.  But...  But, aren't you...  Do the Runes..."

"Let me worry about the Runes, Galen, you just keep your... uh... people working right.  I have a plan, don't worry about it."

The Spiritseer nodded nervously to himself and then bowed and walked away.

Thiel watched him go, and then brought a hand up to his own chin.  Now all he had to do was make a plan, hopefully before the enemy were upon them.  Luckily, they should be far away.  Time, at least, was on his side.

The Lord of Change perked his head up when he heard the Flesh Hounds howl.  Eldar.  The favored souls of the denizens of the Warp were here on his planet.  Still fresh from the Warp, the Greater Daemon was just getting used to the Materium, but clearly the great master Tzeench favored him.  The Eldar would fall this day and their souls would be a tasty aperitif to the banquet of destruction that would soon follow.  He motioned for his Horrors to follow the dogs of Khorne.  It was child's play to cloud their visions of the future, and their trusting nature would be undoing.  The minions of the Blood God would show him the way and then, this world and eventually the entire universe would be his.

---------------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Well...  I basically scrapped my old list as it's just not as keen with the new Eldar Codex out.  I had heard a lot of good things about Hellions and decided (perhaps slightly against better judgement) to take them out, and I wanted to try a lot of keen New Eldar things as well.  I have NO idea as to how they'll work, but at least neither will my opponent.

Khorne Dogs and Eldar do not mix, and that LoC is going to be nasty, I have a feeling as the Runes of Warding are pretty heavily changed (nerfed perhaps?) and all that shooting is going to take my mates apart as it's all S6 and thus ignoring FNP and what-not.  Well, at least this'll be a quick match...

--------------------------

Mission: Big Guns Never Tire (5 objectives)

Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight: ON)

Psyker:
Farseer: Prescience, Fortune, Doom
Spiritseer: +1/-1 Armor, Concealment (Shrouding on/off)
LoC: Prescience, Tzeench Primaris, Misfortune
Portal Herald: Prescience, Tzeench Primaris, Misfortune
Book Herald: Prescience, Tzeench Primaris, Scrier's Gaze

Warlord:
Farseer: Warlord and all units within 12" have stealth (one use)
LoC: Hatred
Combat Drugs: +1 attack

--------------------------

Setup:
FINALLY, I get some cover on the board.  As my opponent has a pretty heavy assault army, I'm not surprised.  His side of the board gets more cover, and we have "dueling" large ruins in the center.  As far as objectives, my side gets 3 of the 5 spread across the back 6" line.  My opponent puts his more in the center, but next to his large ruins on the center and left.  Still, there's some scattered terrain, but not a lot.  Hopefully enough for me not to be shot to pieces.

My opponent wins the choice to go first, and takes it.

He puts his LoC in the center with a Herald in Pink Horrors to his front.  The Khorne Dogs go to either flank.  CSM forces in reserve.

Eldar go all in the right corner, with Wraithknight in the corner, Serpent in front of that, and the Hellions, Baroness, Spiritseer and Farseer in a big, spread out blob in front of them.  The Warp Spiders go in reserve for deep striking with the Jetbikes and Wyches.

The dogs then scout forwards, getting far too close for my liking.

Once again, I fail to seize the initiative, and away we go!

Picture Caption: Dogs are closer than they appear!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 1: Daemons
-----------------
Farseer Thielbane frowned when he read the newest runes.  Why had they changed all of a sudden?  Victory had gone from something semi-assured to dangerously precarious.  Perhaps he was looking at them wrong.

"Captain?"

Thielbane didn't look up and waved Starsparkle off.

"Later, Star.  Looking at the Runes again."

"Yes, sir."

It was a few more moments as Thielbane squinted at the Runes before he heard the howling.  Jerking his head up, he looked over at a horde of Daemonic hounds running hell-bent towards them.  He looked at Star sitting casually on her Skyboard, watching the ravenous looking creatures draw ever closer.  Words tried to come to his lips as he watched the youngsters looking almost bored, waiting for orders to do something.  Well, orders they would get and now.

"Scatter!  Don't let them engage us!"

Thielbane swore to himself as he twisted the controls on his Jetbike, shooting out of range from the monsters.  He had to remember that the Dark Eldar didn't have the same standards of self-preservation as a Craftworlder.  An important fact not to forget that hopefully wouldn't cost him his life.
----------------------------

Well, not too surprisingly, everything moves forwards towards us.
The Lord of Change gets Prescience and tries to use his powers on the Hellions, but he's too far away, and the Hellions get a 2+ cover save from night fighting and the Baroness' PGL, which means that not much happens.
The Chaos Winds try to claw at the Wraithknight, but not much is done mostly thanks to it's mighty T8.
The Khorne Dogs closest to me get the book treatment, giving them a 3++ invul save, and they make a sort of semi-circle, 24" away from the Wraithknight, and wait for the moment to strike.

Picture Caption: Ah, Khorne Dogs, so close and OH so deadly.

Turn 1: Eldar
---------------
"Galen!  Get your Wraithguard upfield!"

Spiritseer Galendor nodded at the Farseer and then pointed with authority at the Wave Serpent.  The Wraithguard walked in, and Galen was about to join them when he saw the head Hellion turn and wave enthusiastically at him.

He paused as his mind went mostly askew.  It wasn't until long after the hug that he was told that Baroness Starsparkle was a noble of the Dark Ones and field commander of their forces.  He swallowed, thinking of how he had harshly rebuffed her without saying anything.  It wasn't his fault, he told himself.  She looked so young.  Too young to be of consequence.  But, the Farseer wouldn't just put anyone in that position of power.  And that meant that he had to play things careful.

Galen considered his options.  A curt nod.  Yes, a simple nod, but not too harsh.  No, nothing that might indicate that he was uncaring towards her obvious show of affection.  Perhaps a salute?  No, no, you idiot, he told himself, that would be worse.  What if it was an insulting gesture?  The other Dark Eldar would be over him in moments and picking his bones clean.  Perhaps a wave?  No, no, that might be interpreted as him showing interest.  And although he had to admit that it was very nice having someone show interest in him, she was a soulless abomination that cared only for sadomasochism.  No, he had to play it cool.  Just like the Farseer.  All he had to...

A sharp whine drew his attention to a Wave Serpent moving rather far away.  That was odd, he thought.  He had thought there was only one Wave Serpent.  Just one for... his...

"Wraithguard!" Galen yelled, suddenly realizing that he was left alone on the battlefield in front of a horde of bloodthirsty Daemons.  He swallowed, wondering how long his painful death would last and if there was any chance that he would not be thrust into the arms of She Who Thirsts for eternal torment, when he heard a familiar voice.

"Galen?  Galen!" barked Farseer Thielbane.  "What are you still...  Never mind!  Sky Ponies, link up with Galen, keep together!"

Galen nodded, for the first time glad that a group of spikey-bladed younglings were surrounding him.  Now, all they had to do was keep out of combat and...

"Sky Ponies!" yelled Starsparkle, raising her Hellblade above her head, and then thrust it in the direction of the incoming Daemons.  "Let's.  Get.  Dangerous."

------------------------------------

They mean to trap us, but it is they are who are... going to tear us apart, basically.
I put powers up on the Hellions, getting off Divination, Fortune, Conceal and +1 Armor.  Doom also goes on the Khorne Dogs, thanks to the special Spirit Stone.  Hope that won't come back to bite me...

I then uh... sort of forget to separate the Spiritseer from the blob, and the Wraithguard in their Wave Serpent move up.
The Wraithknight moves up as well.

And when I get to the blob, I realize that... yeah, the Spiritseer is still attached.

Balls.

So, I just move the Hellions up and string some out so that the Spiritseer is at least still part of the group.
Sigh.  It's the first turn and ALREADY making mistakes.  This is probably, not a good sign, eh?
I'm trying to run the numbers in my head, but I'm not sure of it.
The Khorne Dogs are awful nasty, and I'm not sure if the Hellions can take them.  Granted, they have a lot of attacks, but will it really help?

Shooting goes into the Khorne Dogs from the Hellions, and about three or so go down.
I then try the Wave Serpent's shooting and I get to twin-link the Serpent Shield after the Scatter Laser hits the Lord of Change.  We don't do much damage, but manage to at least ground him.  The Wraithknight then goes large, and fires both guns at the Greater Daemon.  I hit, roll a 6 (!) for instant death, but my opponent makes his invul save.  Wow, that was close to being epic.

So, I assault the Dogs with the Hellions and I'm surprised at the awesome the attack is, as well...  It's 50 odd attack all with re-rolls to hit and damage that just knock the dogs to less than half their numbers.  They try to hit back, but not much damage is done, and with a 4+ re-rollable save, the Hellions are sitting pretty.  The rest of the Khorne Dogs pop thanks to instability, and the Hellions shuffle over behind some cover, spreading out because I KNOW who's coming to dinner next turn.

Picture Caption: Wow, I...  I guess those mates hit harder than I thought!

BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

BigToof

Turn 2: Daemons
-----------------
The Lord of Change felt his feathers bristle as the Flesh Hounds were torn asunder by the Eldar.  They were attacking him? 
Inconceivable. 

The Eldar always ran from the denizens of the Warp.  They were not ones to stop and fight, but no matter.  He would take matters into his own hands, and thus deliver their souls directly to the Great Architect of Fate.  This he swore.
-------------------
The Daemons are shocked at the loss of the Khorne Dogs, but are delighted when all of their reserves show up.
The Helldrake moves up to flame the Hellions, looking to get as close as possible to the Farseer.
The Horrors slide over a bit as well.  The other Khorne Dogs move up to assault.
Psychic powers and the book all do what they should do, and the LoC is the beneficiary of a 3+ invul save.
The Winds don't do anything this turn.

Shooting has the Helldrake burn the Hellions, but only two flame up and die, and Thiel takes a wound (love being T4!).
The Horrors try their luck at shooting, but the LoC has his shooting blocked by the Farseer (Deny the Wych...  err... Witch), and the other shooting from the Heralds can't chew through the 2+ re-rollable cover.

The LoC gets his assault in nicely, ignoring the overwatch wounds.
Alas, the Khorne Dogs falter and just can't make it into assault, as they needed a 7" or so move and fall just short.
In assault, I challenge the LoC with the Baroness, who takes the wounds on her 2++ re-rollable save, and then we hit and run OUT of there.

Picture Caption: The brave man knows when to fight, but the Eldar know when to RUN AWAY!

Turn 2: Eldar
-----------------
Galen was still trying not to scream when he finally felt his feet touch ground.  Opening an eye, he realized that they were far from the enormous Daemon and now, perhaps, they were safe.  Yes, he thought, things were finally turning.  Granted, it was bowel-looseningly frightening when the two younglings grabbed him and took off into the air like Swooping Hawks, but now things were different.  Now, all he had to do was stay out of any more danger and in no time he would...

"Sky Ponies!  Charge!"

Galen turned to watch the Hellions crash into another group of Daemons.  He swallowed, considered his options, and then realized how long he would last alone on a field full of Warp monstrosities.  Chasing after them, he gripped his Witchblade with what was hopefully a fearsome stance.  If he was lucky, they would have killed them all before he even got to the front line.

-----------------------

Well, this turn I get all the same powers off on the blob, and shuffle the Hellions and IC crew over to the Book Herald who is nicely hanging out there waiting politely.  I doom the Helldrake.
The Spiders come in and deep strike behind the Helldrake (or close enough after a short run).
The Wraithknight moves up to dock with either the LoC or the Khorne Dogs.
The Wave Serpent moves up some more.

Shooting has the Helldrake taking S7 monofilament up the exhaust port from the Spiders and losing two hull points and more importantly immobilizing the big monster!

Assault is kind of straightforwards, as the Hellions wipe the Book Herald and the Horrors and the Wraithknight starts the long process of slowly smashing the Khorne Hounds to mush.

Picture Caption: I... yeah, that worked out pretty well.

Turn 3: Daemons
----------------
Helldrake flies off the board.
The last of the Horrors shoot into the Hellions, but 2++ re-rollable is hard nut to crack.
The LoC tries to do some damage again, slamming into the Hellions, but again I manage the same challenge and hit and run shenanigans.

Turn 3: Eldar
----------------
No Allonia or Jetbikes yet, but that's alright.
Basically clean up as the Helions dock with the Horrors and crush them.
The Wraithguard and Spiders combine forces on the now Doomed (literally) LoC and blast him off the board.
Looking down the barrel of basically my entire army coming for a Sorcerer and 10 cultists, my opponent concedes at this point.

Resut: Eldar Alliance Victory!

Post-Game Thoughts: Khaine's blood that was fast!
I forgot how slippery the Hellions are, and even the Spiritseer didn't slow them down.  So fast, versatile and deadly.
I also rolled very good powers, and the combination of Doom, Fortune and Divination is just nasty, and I now know I will probably never get that combination again.  Even with that, the 2++ re-rollable cover save was just insane, and I think the Hellions will be great against anything that well... isn't Tau.

My opponent made some mistakes, letting me charge his dogs in the beginning the most obvious, but I think neither of us thought the Hellions would be so deadly.

The Wraithguard also did amazing, banishing the LoC back to the Warp, and the Warp Spiders deserve a smattering of applause for knocking the Hellturkey out of the sky.  I didn't need the Wyches so much this game, but I can see them being more useful if there were tanks or more squishy infantry out there to play with.

Hope you all enjoyed the battle and the fluff.

Leave a comment, and I hope the Eldar will be back!
--------------------------------

Farseer Thielbane smirked to himself, watching the last of the Daemons fade away into the Warp.  The Warp fissures were already faltering, and it would take a minimum of effort to make sure that things would stay closed.  He heard panting and looked behind him to see a rather frantic looking Spiritseer, surrounded by the Hellions who were hoisting him in the air.  Thielbane smirked, watching as Galen tried his best not to impale anyone with his Witchblade and also not to fall on his head.  Starsparkle laughed and zoomed over to Thielbane, smiling from ear to ear.

"Did you see that, Captain?  He went with us all the way!"

Thielbane nodded, "That he did Star, that he did."

"And without a Skyboard or anything!  That.  Was.  Epic!  We... we have to keep him.  Please?   Pretty please?"

Thielbane tried not to smile as he looked at Star's hopeful expression bordering on tears.  Perhaps the universe did have a funny way of keeping things together after all.

"I'll talk to him, Star.  But, it is up to..."

"The Captain said we can keep him!"

A roar went up amongst the Hellions who thrust Galen higher into the air.  Thielbane shook his head.  Some things apparently, though, did not change.  But, he wouldn't have it any other way.
--------------------------------------------------
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

A great report BT, if this is the last one we're seeing for the forseeable future then at least you're ending on a high. The fluff was hilarious and the way Star and her Hellions were treating Galen in the end reminded me of a certain Deff Dread with his pet Wulfen.

The magic combined with those Hellions was frightening and although Tau shooting with marker support would certainly help, the sheer speed of them would put them scarily close in the very early stages of the game.

The battle was short, but the fluff more than made up for it and it's a nice change to see an Eldar/Dark Eldar army where none of the characters are trying to kill any of the others, I suppose that's what happens when the Dark Eldar are relegated to the Allied detachment.

Hope to see some more at some point BT,

Job's a good un!

BigToof

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the reply.
Haven't had much of a chance to reply or do much in the way of 40k, but your comment is really appreciated.
I guess things have been rather quiet around here (you're the only reply i seems...), but I'm glad to see that many reps are still coming out.

Thanks again.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Arguleon-veq

That was brutal, the hellions did an amazing job, what was it that was making them so tough to bring down?

Im starting to really rate the standard wraithknight. Mine seems to be killing whatever it shoots at every turn, I did think the other variant would be more effective but the basic knight is looking much better at the minute.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Noooooo! Good battle. Dem Hellions and their drugs. Possible strength5/6 on the charge is nasty.

I was thinking reavers got a huge boost in 6th. They can rake models and have a +3 cover save doing so. With a 48" range and 2d6 extra movement they can rake all da and worry little about getting attacked back. 3d6 strength 6 attacks and 7d3 strength 4 attacks, I mean hits are rahter nasty. Throw Invisisbility on them and they have a +2 cover save. If they rake a doomed unit it's all over. I was thinking tha you can almost kill a unit via shooting than turbo over and kill it with the reavers. That way they would have a +2 possble cover save with feel no pain.

BigToof

Thank you all for the kind words.

I'm... sort of back, but not really, as I'm very, very much more limited than before, but at least I'm well... here.

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on June 30, 2013, 09:26:51 PM
That was brutal, the hellions did an amazing job, what was it that was making them so tough to bring down?

Im starting to really rate the standard wraithknight. Mine seems to be killing whatever it shoots at every turn, I did think the other variant would be more effective but the basic knight is looking much better at the minute.

The Hellions were effective as they had prescience for re-rolls, 4+ armor re-rollable and hit with a TON of attacks.  4 attacks each at S4 is nothing to laugh at.  Oh, and re-rollable wounds also (ouch).
I really like the standard Wraithknight, as it's really easy to get 5+ cover, and really, his T8 takes care of so many issues.  I haven't had (obviously) much time to play with him, but I think he'd solve a lot of issues that the Eldar have.  Obviously some things (Black Mace DP comes to mind) will annihilate him, but not many things out on its own.

Quote from: Chicop76 on July 01, 2013, 04:06:04 PM
Noooooo! Good battle. Dem Hellions and their drugs. Possible strength5/6 on the charge is nasty.

I was thinking reavers got a huge boost in 6th. They can rake models and have a +3 cover save doing so. With a 48" range and 2d6 extra movement they can rake all da and worry little about getting attacked back. 3d6 strength 6 attacks and 7d3 strength 4 attacks, I mean hits are rahter nasty. Throw Invisisbility on them and they have a +2 cover save. If they rake a doomed unit it's all over. I was thinking tha you can almost kill a unit via shooting than turbo over and kill it with the reavers. That way they would have a +2 possble cover save with feel no pain.

Reavers are pretty good, but I don't like them as much as they
1) Aren't scoring

2) Aren't that much more durable

3)Are only S4

Granted, if they WERE scoring then, I'd take two, write off a lot of my chaff, and then be done!

Thank you all again for the comments!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on July 02, 2013, 12:06:46 AM

1) Aren't scoring

3)Are only S4

Granted, if they WERE scoring then, I'd take two, write off a lot of my chaff, and then be done!

You could try to arrange it with an opponent to play 'The Scouring' mission, then they'd be scoring.

But of course that game showed that Hellions can also be amazing and I reckon you should stick with them for now if you're able to get some games in at the moment.

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on July 02, 2013, 08:35:22 AM
Quote from: BigToof on July 02, 2013, 12:06:46 AM

1) Aren't scoring

3)Are only S4

You could try to arrange it with an opponent to play 'The Scouring' mission, then they'd be scoring.

But of course that game showed that Hellions can also be amazing and I reckon you should stick with them for now if you're able to get some games in at the moment.

True about the Scouring, but it's hard to count on a good mission roll.  In fact, it's actually more dangerous for them, as they'd then be a victory point...

As for how many games I have...  It's not a lot.

I still have to finish my old Eldar vs. Tau game which is still... hard for me to write.

It's just that SO much of my force is destroyed it's hard to put into words.

Not even that I think I did anything wrong, just that the Tau were so dominating.

I'm trying not to put an edge on the Tau characters that makes them seem like bullies, but you know... it's sort of hard without editorializing it a bit.

In any case, thanks for your comment!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: