News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Civilization Game Discussion

Started by Mabbz, August 29, 2013, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

Things I did today:

Install Civ IV for the first time since I got it, several years ago.

Play Civ IV

Lose horribly

InsaneTD

You never win your first civ game. You might win your fifth though. :P

Rarity Declis

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on August 29, 2013, 03:20:41 PM
The third update for that should be out now actually.

Good; need to learn the rules, then learn the three updates, and then get my group going, and all in a week. :P

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on August 29, 2013, 03:36:16 PM

My first game ended with me being rushed by the English... typical, they would attack the Scottish fellow.

InsaneTD

They are planning to update every Wednesday.

The Allfather

Man, I haven't played a civilization game since like, the 3rd one. I should get back into it.

kingofmonkeys

I like civilization revolution a lot...

Quote from: Minako on February 22, 2007, 04:43:31 PM
I'll be under your bed!! So watch out! I poke!
#15 to the new world

InsaneTD

Civ Rev is awesome. Not as good as Civ 5 though.

kingofmonkeys

I like rev for it's simplicity and how easy it is to pickup for an afternoon of play

Quote from: Minako on February 22, 2007, 04:43:31 PM
I'll be under your bed!! So watch out! I poke!
#15 to the new world

Mabbz

Until yesterday, I had never played a civ game. My second game was somewhat uneventful. I don't think there was a single war.

InsaneTD

Mabbz

I think most of them hated me more than anyone else, but every land route to me was covered by the Persians, and I made sure they loved me. Which was good since I gave up on a military early on so other people had helicopters while I never bothered building anything more advanced than a couple of guys with clubs.

Rarity Declis

Civilization V is extremely good. After Civ 2, I tried 3 and 4 and just thought that they weren't for me anymore. Out of interest, worth picking up the two expansions, Gods and Kings and Brave New World?

Railgun Convention

Gods and Kings came with the Gold edition I picked up. Not played without it much, but it certainly seems to have been worthwhile.

Brave New World got lots of praise, I seem to recall. May be worth looking in to.

Played the Polynesian scenario yesterday. I managed to interrupt a war 10 turns in by not declaring war as I'd agreed to - after that, nobody attacked anybody. For the whole game. Might have been something to do with the fact the map was the most sketchy archipelago I've ever seen, but there you go.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Restayvien

Strange coincidence, but I installed CivII on my old creaky family PC last week and have played about 4 games to completion already! Just opened Steam try my hand at CivV again (I have CivIV on disc but recall preffering CivV...). All great games. CivII is almost impossible to play purely diplomatically though - even if you want to avoid war you have to be a military powerhouse to deter attackers.

I first played CivII on a family holiday to Berwick about 14 years ago...hard to believe it was that long ago!

Mabbz

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on August 29, 2013, 03:36:16 PM
I won my third (time victory). I still only ranked as Dan Quayle though.

Also, computers always seem to burn down London in my games.