News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Coming Soon? 40k 7th Edition

Started by Narric, April 28, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charistoph

Quote from: Irisado on May 06, 2014, 10:33:21 AM
It's back to second edition we go, based on what I've read.  Mission cards and the revised psychic system are all very reminiscent of that edition.  I had to laugh about how GW are dressing this up as new.  I'm not saying that these ideas are bad, some of them could be quite good, but it's anything but new.

What does concern me is the the information in White Dwarf about removing the FOC.  This is a really bad idea, and while it's only optional, it's basically license to field very unbalanced armies, which is not at all good for the game.  I'm not impressed.

The really funny part about this is that this has always been an option, but some people just need it in print before they will consider it.

Heck, my LGS runs oddball FOC tournaments all the time.  It's not uncommon for us to have an FOC requirement of 3 Elites, and that's it, you don't have to take an HQ (though, I think you still need a Warlord) or Troops if you don't want to.

The only true limit to your games is what you and your friends agree to play with.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 06, 2014, 03:28:41 PM
I thought Farsight was required to unlock them as Troops?

Nope, you can have a barebones Commander if you want.  The 7 do require Farsight, though.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

The Man They Call Jayne

Huh. Awesome. Well at least I would be able to have a Stealth Cadre. Kinda tricky to use but could be nice and fluffy.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scoutfox

I can see some really cool unbound armies but only of someone cool is playing them. You know the D bags will bring, d bag list and the cool guys will bring fun lists. I just don't play D bags, and I still won't.

Irisado

Quote from: Charistoph on May 06, 2014, 04:16:24 PM
The really funny part about this is that this has always been an option, but some people just need it in print before they will consider it.

Heck, my LGS runs oddball FOC tournaments all the time.  It's not uncommon for us to have an FOC requirement of 3 Elites, and that's it, you don't have to take an HQ (though, I think you still need a Warlord) or Troops if you don't want to.

The only true limit to your games is what you and your friends agree to play with.

Except that it has now been sanctioned by GW, thus more people will be inclined to go down that route than previously was the case.

The other issue is cost.  If the new rulebook is going to cost the full whack price of the sixth edition one, then that's unreasonable.  To barely get two years out of a very expensive rulebook is taking the 'money, money, money' approach to extremes in my opinion.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Deraj

I'd love to see the FOC go away. I only play friendly games, so I don't see too much changing, but it does mean my iron warriors could have land raiders, obliterators, and vindicators. Hell, maybe I will run that army composed of forgefiends, helldrakes, and defilers.

Narric

The Harrower has enlightened me to rumours pointing to Blood Angels being the first 40k Codex of this "New Edition." Adding it here to save confusing multi-thread discussion :P

http://dedard.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/new-blood-angels-codex-rumors.html
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/blood-angels-rumors-for-7th-edition.html

Seems no new "Super Units" but there will be a new Predator. I'm going to assume Plasma Predator. I think Forge World has a name for that variant :P there will also be a new unit/kit called "Blood Brothers." Blood Angels who survived the Black Rage and regained their "Humanity" maybe?

Wargamer

So they really don't give a fuck any more. "Oh yeah, we care about our game. What's that? You want to be able to bring six Land Raiders as a 1,500pt army? Sure! I'm sure your opponent will be bringing enough anti-tank to handle that bullshit! Oh, you want a pure-Flyer army without having to forewarn your opponent and make sure he actually brought Flak? I don't see why that's an issue!"

Just... just pathetic really.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

CoffeeGrunt

A pure Land Raider army would be laughably easy to beat, and a pure Flier army loses turn one when nothing's on the board.

This hysteria over an optional game mode is hilarious.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

I'll simple decline someone wanting to play with a stupid unbound army like ful LR or Flier.
However, I'd want to try the unbound army set for a Rough Rider forse of of guard. I believe Jayne mentioned a full Shadowsun/Stealth Suit army, which is also cool. These "Fluffy" lists are exactly what unbound is for, and I support that aspect. However, we all know there will be gamers who just want to win at all costs, and they're going to bring whatever powerhouse list they can dream of.

In a sense, this update may essentially split the hobby into those that play for fun, and those that play to win, probably more so then is evident now.

I don't personally think the "Formations" are really needed for 40k, as Unbound pretty much allows it anyway, without paying extra points. Formation SRs may add something for the cost, but iirc most Apoc formations added 300pts+ which can be spent on more useful/versatile upgrades.

Wargamer

I don't buy that way of thinking, simply because we've always been able to throw the rules out of the window - you just couldn't do it without prior consent.

There is a general attitude amongst most of the gaming community, especially the "competitive" community, that as long as it's rules legal it's acceptable. The reason nobody tried bringing a pure Rough Rider or Storm Trooper army to GW stores or whatever is because it wasn't rules legal. Now it is. That doesn't encourage the "fun" gamers to make fun lists - they did that already. It just encourages the arseholes to find new ways to be even bigger arseholes.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

You can just get a Militarum Tempestus codex and have a whole Storm Trooper army though. With a complete FOC.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

You can take 5 Riptides, 4 Heldrakes, 15 Leman Russes or 3 Wraithknights in the current game. Most don't because it's a pretty terrible idea.

Also I genuinely laughed at the idea of a full Rough Riders squadron being scary to face.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on May 14, 2014, 07:30:09 AM
Also I genuinely laughed at the idea of a full Rough Riders squadron being scary to face.
I don't want to field it becuase its scary, but becuase I think it would look cool :P I'd also probably use all the different Spec-weapons to see which is truly the best for Rough Riders.

I've always had a soft spot for "mounted" armies, hence why my old SM force was White Scars themed.

Chris

It seems this is confirmed. There is no point pissing and moaning about it anymore.

The best solution is to chat with your opponent before hand, find out if they're playing a Git list or not. Fun lists like a 'First Company' or 'Rough Riders' are fine, as they are fluffy, but if its douchy like 'all Riptides', then just refuse to play them...