News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Coming Soon? 40k 7th Edition

Started by Narric, April 28, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

Quote from: Charistoph on May 28, 2014, 03:46:19 PM
Quote from: Sorck on May 28, 2014, 12:15:03 PM
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40k-Dark-Vengeance

Isn't it a little odd that GW are still selling Dark Vengeance with the old rulebook in it?

One rumor is that the mini-rulebook will be/has been changed instead of creating a whole new set.

Hasn't happened yet, the DV box description tells people to go and buy the new rulebook seperately.
It is a nice set though, so I can see why they don't want to be rid of it just yet, especially given that it's only a couple of years old.

Sorck

I think they could use it as an opportunity to run two different starter sets. That way they spread the news gamers across another army or two.

I certainly think they should either change the mini rulebook or take it out and take £5 or £10 off the price.

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Having been a GW customer for...a long time, I cant see them reducing the price. Ever. They will probably take the 6th rules out and sell it for the same price. Maybe even another price hike for the Australasia region just to be safe.
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

CoffeeGrunt

To be fair, the 6th Ed rules are okay for casual players new to the game, to learn the basics. After that, they can look into updating to the new edition if they want.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Tactical Genius

I think im going to walk away now. GW have take the piss with this now. Its too expensive.
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

Irisado

You don't have to walk away for good.  Why not just take this edition off?  Or stick to playing sixth if you've recently bought the rulebook (assuming your friends also don't want to fork out for a new rulebook).

I've read some of the changes in the new rulebook, and while a lot of people seem to be impressed by them, I think that they cause more problems than they solve.  The psychic phase, in particular, won't do armies with psychic defence a lot of favours, and it's too much like Fantasy's system for my liking.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

CoffeeGrunt

Why not wait for the inevitable cheaper small rulebooks to flood EBay from whatever starter kit succeeds Dark Vengeance?

Chris

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on May 29, 2014, 03:58:01 PM
Why not wait for the inevitable cheaper small rulebooks to flood EBay from whatever starter kit succeeds Dark Vengeance?

Rumours are saying that there will not be one. The current thought is that in the new starter set will be a basic rule set to enable beginners to pick up the very basics and play simplified games with their toys from the box, but they will then have to buy the £50 BRB for the full rules...
@CoffeeGrunt

Narric

As damnable as that is of a move from GW, it does make sense. Beginners do not need to know every little detail of how the game plays. When to do stuff, and how to do stuff. It technically does save GW money in printing the booklets. It reminds me of the Battle for Skull Pass Box set, which gave the basest rules and a small practice playthrough of just that phase.

After a while the player will gain a small collection, and hopefully find a supportive GC to learn about more deeper mechanics. This'll give them an idea of the full game they're buying into, and then they will potentially buy the full rulebook.

It makes the game more open to younger players, though out of experience I will say that is not always a good thing. Most younger players under 14 likely won't care about sportsmanship, or if their army is legal.

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah, I have seen a game between two (maybe) 11-12 year olds. One army consisted of Abbadon, 3 Landraiders and Marneus Calgar. And the rules seemed to be "Ok, I shoot you, you died"
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

Kur'os

I just got back from a 12+ hour 40k day with my local club and some guests from the club a state over.  Between today and earlier this week, I've a couple 7th ed games under my belt and have watched  just as many more played.  To be frank, I very much like 7th ed. 

Yes, the rules aren't perfect; what game system is?  It does stream-line some rules, makes a few rules halfway realistic, and, so far, has proven to require very little in the way of house-rules.  Notably from today's gaming: Nightfight and the new vehicle damage chart. 

My club has both WAAC tourney players, fluff gurus, and all shades in between.  And we're all signing its praises so far (though I admittedly cringe whenever I think about how mean Invisibility + X can be now...).

The only change / ruling that was on the table was if we should allow 'Unbound" armies in our local tournaments.  For the next few weeks, we're going to allow it and see how the meta shifts.

As appealing as the prospect is, the loss of 'objective secured' and the warlord trait re-roll are massive penalties.  Not to mention the possible loss of the warlord trait if you don't field a character.  "Congratulations, you fielded 10 Riptides.  Good luck with tabling your opponent, because you're sure as heck not going to keep your objectives."

-Kur'os